Calories/nutrition plan

Options
Is there a recommended daily calorie total or anything concerning this plan? I know we're not supposed to be cutting calories as much since we're trying to build muscle, but I still track my calories on here and wonder what everyone else's target is? That's the one thing I can't find about this plan, but as far as everything else and the way it's laid out, it's great.

Replies

• 3monthBride
    Options
    If you look at bodybuilding.com on phase two or three (I can't remember) there she will provide you with a calculator for finding out your daily caloric intake based on the weight you are by then and the distance you are from you goal weight. As of right now, but be sure to stick to your current caloric intake. What I did was modified the carbs to protein ratio and I take in more protein than I do carbs; since protein helps to build muscle and muscle burns away fat. Another thing you can do is to look at a few other transformations of people who have under gone a 12 week program and find out what supplements they are taking. I find that that little extra nudge helps to speed up the process but giving me more energy (as in B-12) for my work outs, and fat burning (as in glutamine.) Also, I thought this part sounded crazy but apparently drinking more water than normal helps with bloating and promotes faster weight loss.
    Just a few suggestions. I hope that helps.
  • FlTGlRL
    FlTGlRL Posts: 239
    Options
    Can you provide a link to the specific page that shows the calorie calculator next time you on on that page?
    I was confused about that too. I'm just going to continue with my 1200 calories daily and split it up into (6- 200calorie) meals. I'm going to also try and incorporate 30 grams of protein in each meal as well.
  • stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks! And yes, that does help. I figured I probably hadn't stumbled on that info yet. :)
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I think the first phase you should just focus on eating well, do not eat at a deficit, you really should eat at maintenance or it will be hard to build muscle. I know it is hard because I have been on such a mindset of eating at a deficit, but basically, you cannot build muscle eating at a deficit. Let your body know that you intend to fuel it properly and you might lose some weight anyway, but you risk injury if you are not eating enough. 1200 calories isn't enough, and it's hard to determine how many calories are burned through lifting, so try to shoot for maintenance cals and then trust that the base of muscle you are building will be revealed in the later phases when you start cardio and HIIT and carb-cycling.
    the calorie calculator is in Phase 3, it's basically your weight x10, then add 200 for easier workout days and add 400 for harder workout days.
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    Oh okay (Weight x 10) for now than. Okay got it. Thank you so much for posting. You're right I don't want any injuries.

So I'm about 180 = 1800 calories, should I continue with that until phase 3 than?
    And in that case I'll just do (300 calories-each meal, 6 meals total)
  • stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Oh, gosh, I've never been able to keep my calories at 1200! I become a very angry, cranky individual. :mad: I tried that at first when I first started MFP, but for me, it just didn't work. That's a hard mindset to get out of, for sure.

I normally eat around 1500 plus most of my exercise cals back and it's worked so far. I may be losing slowly, but I'm A LOT nicer to deal with. :bigsmile:
  • amysj303
    Options
    I think 1800 would be fine, but might be a little low, you could try setting your MFP goals to "maintain" for phase 1 and it would tell you what your maintenance goal is. that is what I did and then I did not eat back exercise calories for the weight training.
    I think you are right to focus on getting enough protein and then in Phase two you start avoiding starchy carbs in the evening/afternoon. Then phase 3 is the calorie counting with carb cycling.
    Next week is the last week til Mexico so I am going to try to limit the carbs, making v-day my high carb day!
    I am going to make eggs for breakfast, salad with chicken or shrimp for lunch, and protein shakes with almond milk for snacks.
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    I was just about to ask about that- what I should set my "nutritional goals" to. So thanks for that advice as well. Wow your meals sound yummy. I bet you are so excited about your trip!
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    Haha, well actually I haven't been losing on sticking to 1200 so maybe that doesn't really work.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Are you all eating clean? I know that is really pretty important. I am still logging what I eat, but I bumped my calories to 1600. Yesterday I ate 2000!!!! However...I also had dark chocolate, wine, etc...so it wasn't a perfect first day.

I have learned that changing your eating habits takes so long. It would be awesome if we could just flip a switch and change our eating habits overnight. I'm hoping, through this process, to become a really good clean eater. I want to see my abs!! I know they are there! :)
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    Hey there savlyon,

Is today your 1st day of phase 1? I'm trying to eat clean, it's not so much of a self discipline factor, it's more of a confusion factor. The main things I'm clear on is eating the 6 meals a day, no eating after 7pm, and protein, protein protein!
    This is what I use as a guide line:

Meal 1-
    1 protein, 1 starch

Meal 2-
    1 protein, 1 veggie

Meal 3-
    Lean meat, 1 starch, veggies

Meal 4-
    Protein, veggies.

Meal 5 -
    Lean Meat, 1 starch, veggies

Mean 6-
    Protein, veggies.

That's what I got out of her food section. I've bought a lot of protein bars and bottled protein shakes for the in between meals. But I'm still trying to get it down.
    Btw...congratulations on your major weight loss, it seems you are on the right track!!
  • amysj303
    Options
    Eating clean is definitely the hardest part for me, I have made lots of improvements but it takes time. I am never going to give up pizza (or beer and wine) entirely but I am eating much better than I used to, I hardly ever eat fast food and I try to make dining out choices that are proteins and vegetables, but there are birthday celebrations, and Valentine's Day, and life.
    I thought you could eat after 7pm but not starchy carbs?
    I did not care for the apple cinnamon protein bars from her recipe, but I eat them anyway.
    I like almond milk, so that's good.
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    Yes, you are right, no carbs after 7pm. I think we just aren't supposed to eat 3 hours before bed.
  • jbeil384
    Options
    I'm wondering if this is correct...I set my macros on MFP to 40/40/20 (Carb/Protein/Fat). Do you think this is correct for Phase 1?
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    Here is what we will eventually be doing, this is the calorie calculator, maybe this will give you ideas:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer-phase-3-day-84.html
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    Also, it calculates the body fat, carbs, ect that you should be at.
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    The program is meant to lean you out. So there are steps. If you dont follow her plan then you wont get the same results

Phase I - 6 COMPLETE meals. Follow the serving size listed on her eating plan and YOU WILL NOT gain weight. NO cardio and this is not the time to try and loose weight
    Phase II - First half still NO COUNTING calories but dinner no longer includes CARBS, second half count calories as instructed ADD cardio

Phas III - Carb cycling. Higher carbs on certain days, lower on others. (Follow the program day by day) Macros are very important. Exercises in this phase include plyometrics.

Corrrect me if I am wrong but that's what I understand. I am on the liveFit group on bodybuilding.com and many of those who have finished the program say you will only get max results if you follow the program the right way.

When you follow the program it is actually very difficult mentally. I've gone 3 weeks withough loosing weight and its actually pretty scary. But I can feel myself getting stronger and I am loosing body fat. She explain these things really well in her videos
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    The program is meant to lean you out. So there are steps. If you dont follow her plan then you wont get the same results

Phase I - 6 COMPLETE meals. Follow the serving size listed on her eating plan and YOU WILL NOT gain weight. NO cardio and this is not the time to try and loose weight
    Phase II - First half still NO COUNTING calories but dinner no longer includes CARBS, second half count calories as instructed ADD cardio

Phas III - Carb cycling. Higher carbs on certain days, lower on others. (Follow the program day by day) Macros are very important. Exercises in this phase include plyometrics.

Corrrect me if I am wrong but that's what I understand. I am on the liveFit group on b
    odybuilding.com and many of those who have finished the program say you will only get max results if you follow the program the right way.

When you follow the program it is actually very difficult mentally. I've gone 3 weeks withough loosing weight and its actually pretty scary. But I can feel myself getting stronger and I am loosing body fat. She explain these things really well in her videos

Thank you for sharing....I've read plenty of reviews that say that too, "you have to stick to the meal plan too". That's the hard part for most of us though, especially if you are used to just counting calories. It's a complete lifestyle change but I love how you laid it all out for us, that helps me organize it in my mind.

All through phase one I ate healthy and didn't count calories just mainly focused on increasing the protein and eating the recommended foods, however, I've become pretty bored and was considering counting calories but I didn't realize we aren't supposed to do that until weeks 2 & 3 of phase two. I'm on week 1 of phase 2, maybe I should just tough it out for 1 1/2 more weeks, than I will count calories. :wink: