Everytime I ask a gym about a squat rack

Nopedotjpeg
Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,805 Member
So I called another local YMCA because it's right next to the school where I'll be shadowing a teacher today, and I wanted to make sure they had the basic equipment I needed for my workout (squat rack, kettlebells, and a free olympic bar for some floor lifts). I swear the amount of people that work at a gym, that know nothing about gym equipment is ****ing mind-boggling. I ask about a squat rack and they tell me "we have a smith machine!" What a waste.

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Yeah, I had a lot of trouble finding a gym near me with a squat rack. I was also sure to specify in my inquiry emails "squat rack--NOT smith machine." There is one yoga studio per block in SF but not many gyms with fully-fledged weight rooms.
  • MP9c
    MP9c Posts: 3 Member
    It seems like its becoming more and more rare in the "cardio centric" chain gyms. There are three gyms within 5 miles of where I live with no squat racks. One of them being a brand new Cardio Express and when I asked if they had a squat rack during a tour of the place, they said "Our company is headed in a different direction". What a shame. I chose to go to a gym 10 miles away with a much better array of free weights and squat racks