Question about eating 1200 calories per day

Options
alwallis
alwallis Posts: 4 Member
My doctor said that I will not lose weight eating 1200 calories per day. MFP says this should be my goal. Any advice?

Replies

• shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    what does he say you should be eating??
  • GingerBroad
    GingerBroad Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Listen to your Dr. Eating 1200/day helps me maintain my weight, but it definitely does not help me lose weight. To lose i have to eat around 1000 per day with high protein, low carbs. I was doing the 1200 for a long time without any progress. When I dropped it to 1000 I started seeing the pounds come off every week to 2 weeks.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    what does he say you should be eating??

Ditto, did the doctor say less? Don't eat less like Gingerbroad says unless you are very petite i.e <5'3 or so.
  • GingerBroad
    GingerBroad Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Ditto, did the doctor say less? Don't eat less like Gingerbroad says unless you are very petite i.e <5'3 or so.
    [/quote]

I am 5'3. Its a good point about height though, heathersmilez. I weigh 128 currently and want to get between 120-125, which isn't even that small for my height, but its what works for my body type (i am hourglass shaped). I also eat back my exercise calories which I know some people don't agree with, but its what my body needs. Each person has different intake needs.

I still think your Dr. knows better than a website that can't evaluate you outside of numbers. It defaults 1200 to a lot of different body types, ages, heights. If he/she is telling you how many calories you should be eating to lose weight, he/she should also recommend a diet plan.

I hope that helps! I know its frustrating but in the beginning it can be some trial and error to how much you need to eat, workout, etc to look and FEEL good. Good luck!
  • SparklesPlenty
    SparklesPlenty Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am barely 5' 2" since I started tracking and eating 1200 per day I have gained weight! It is very frustrating and I am going to go back to eating less than 1200 per day. It is encouraging to me that your Dr. said less would be ok.