Help

Options
Kelly_1981
Kelly_1981 Posts: 472 Member
Hi all
I have gone from eating 50+% of my calories/food on carbs (looking at past reports on here) to now 10% ish of my diet on carbs.

I am trying to stay under 30 carbs a day. I am only just starting out but I was expecting me to lose weight but its just not moving! Now I have been eating the Josephs Flax bread wraps (4 net carbs for 1/2 wrap) for lunch most days and I have eaten sugar free jelly with double cream at night and I have also had some Atkins bars to try and beat the sugar cravings. I ma drinking lots of water I am still drinking decaf coffee (black) and I have been counting that in my water (is this wrong?)

Apart from that I have compleatly revamped my food but I have lost 1 pound!!! What am I doing wrong? Should I stick to the Atkins induction to the T? I was thinking that I was doing ok? If I am totally off mark and I need telling then please tell me I want to lose the weight but doing this and seeing no results is pissing me off to be honest!

Thanks

Kelly

Replies

• Justforthebacon
    Justforthebacon Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you are doing keto you should read up on the diet. Atkins is a bit different although they are both lowcarb. Keto has some specific ratios. Also it has only been a couple weeks if I am reading your diary right. Give yourself a break! :) You can change your goals to only allow for 5% carbs which is the approx suggestion for keto. Also don't over compensate with protein. Your fat goals should be ~ 65 -75%. You will have to play around with the ratios to find what work best for you.
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi Kelly! I've taken a look at your diary, I think you're doing pretty well! There are a couple of possible culprits for your stall- the first thing I notice is that your calorie count is quite low in most cases (apart from one day). When I first started low carb I set my limit at 1700kcal a day and went over that so much I stopped counting. Eating too little on low carb can be counterproductive. If you're in ketosis and aren't hungry that may not be so much of an issue, otherwise, eat up! :)

The next thing I notice is that your protein count is higher than your fat count. I did this for a while too, but it should be the other way around. Try to get your fat intake up. Ideally eat fattier cuts of meat or organ meat. I am still working my way up to this (I only quit being vegetarian a few months ago!), so I tend to add butter and creamy sauces to things, and use coconut oil in my coffee.

Some people have a problem with Atkins bars and artificial sweeteners such as the ones in jelly, others (like me) have a problem with wheat. I think a good approach is to cut out anything processed, go back to basics (meat and vegs, nuts, seeds and dairy if you tolerate it). See how that goes for a week or two. Then add in extras like sweetener or Atkins bars one at a time to monitor the effects, both on weight loss and how you feel.

In short, ditch the chemicals, eat more, and make more of what you eat come from fat. Best wishes!
  • Kelly_1981
    Kelly_1981 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Hi Kelly! I've taken a look at your diary, I think you're doing pretty well! There are a couple of possible culprits for your stall- the first thing I notice is that your calorie count is quite low in most cases (apart from one day). When I first started low carb I set my limit at 1700kcal a day and went over that so much I stopped counting. Eating too little on low carb can be counterproductive. If you're in ketosis and aren't hungry that may not be so much of an issue, otherwise, eat up! :)

The next thing I notice is that your protein count is higher than your fat count. I did this for a while too, but it should be the other way around. Try to get your fat intake up. Ideally eat fattier cuts of meat or organ meat. I am still working my way up to this (I only quit being vegetarian a few months ago!), so I tend to add butter and creamy sauces to things, and use coconut oil in my coffee.

Some people have a problem with Atkins bars and artificial sweeteners such as the ones in jelly, others (like me) have a problem with wheat. I think a good approach is to cut out anything processed, go back to basics (meat and vegs, nuts, seeds and dairy if you tolerate it). See how that goes for a week or two. Then add in extras like sweetener or Atkins bars one at a time to monitor the effects, both on weight loss and how you feel.

In short, ditch the chemicals, eat more, and make more of what you eat come from fat. Best wishes!

Thank you so much both of you Fab advise and I will take note and up the fat and get rid of the chemical stuff :-)
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    it takes time for the body to change over - be patient....stay on track!
  • abfit4life
    abfit4life Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Denny gave some great advice. Try weening yourself from the processed sweets and eat as naturally as possible and then make the necessary adjustments with your macros to see what works best for your body. I know we want it all fixed yesterday but we have to also be patient and remember we are undoing the consequences of a lifetime of unhealthy eating. Good luck...You can do this!
  • AnyaArson
    AnyaArson Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the above. When I first started, I absolutely hated artificial sweeteners, so I just cut out all sweets from my life and was very strict with keeping my carbs ~14. I lost about five pounds the first week from water retention, but then I stabilized and started losing only a pound or two a week. I also started the switch without counting calories (since I never had before) and was probably eating ~2000, since no bacon or cheese was safe around me.

It wasn't until five months after I cut carbs out that I also started counting calories and protein and fat, and that helped me get over my second plateau. A month or so after that, I finally started going full keto and now my weight is all over the board. I have noticed that I am susceptible to... I think maltitol or some other common sugar alcohol, and it will drive me out of ketosis if I eat too much (two "low carb" protein bars).

So yeah, trial and error and patience. Good luck!
  • ronellevan
    Options
    Some people are very carb sensitive and just a sweet taste will make their bodies thinnk sugar/carbs have been ingested.

I suggest staying completely clean for about 2 weeks - low carbs, no sweetners or sweetned drinks.
    Then see how it goes when you start adding them slowly back.
  • jehaines1
    Options
    Don't get fixated on the scale either. Look at your BFI. Keto diets are very good at increasing lean muscle mass while decreasing fat. I gained weight for the first month when i started. My BFI dropped as I burned fat.
  • Jasonhannen
    Options
    Dont worry about the scales, Losing bodyfat and losing weight do not go hand in hand exclusively. You may be retaining water.

Forget about the scales and use a tape measure as your barometer of success