Accident-prone people shouldn't exercise.

Options
AndreaG170
AndreaG170 Posts: 104 Member
I am accident-prone, and true to form, I hurt myself exercising.

A few nights ago, we went and bought Dance Central 2 for the Kinect. I hate working out, and the only ways I like to exercise are swimming, walking, and dancing. I don't want to be seen in a swim suit just yet, and there's too much ice on the sidewalks for a klutz like me to be able to enjoy a long walk. That being said, I do go for three or four walks around the block every day with my dog (ten minutes at a time), but the nice, long, calorie-burning walks just won't be happening until probably April (I live in Michigan's UP). Can't afford a treadmill.

This brings me to the dancing game. Awesome game. So much fun. I totally recommend it. But there's one song in particular where half the dance moves involve punching your fists in the air. Apparently, I should have started off slower and maybe stretched first? But I was just having so much fun, I couldn't help myself. And now my shoulder gets a sharp pain if I lift my arm too much or pick anything too heavy up. Or close the car door. Or pull on my dog's leash. Or, like, wash my hair. Great.

I'm not going to a doctor for this. I know all I need to do is rest my arm and not strain myself. Let it heal and then try exercising again in a week or so. It's just a major bummer, because I actually worked out two days in a row and I was feeling great. And if I try playing this game and just don't use my right arm, it's going to give me a hard time about not nailing the dance moves. Even doing situps aggravates it.

I guess I could use some advice and encouragement. One thing is for sure: I need to stretch before I exercise. Duh. I learned this in kindergarten. I feel so stupid hurting myself over something so basic. It makes me want to do something really stupid like bake cookies.

But seriously, I totally recommend Dance Central 2 for Kinect. It is a blast and there's a fitness feature on there and two people can dance at the same time. Such a great way to exercise... as long as you stretch first.

Is it Valentine's Day yet? I want an excuse to eat a whole box of chocolates.

Replies

• Goingnuts2
    Goingnuts2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I so get it with getting excited about an exercise and then BAM! everything stops. Hang in there, maybe use a heating pad or an ice pad i(if swollen). You'll be back on your feet, in the mean time maybe get a walking DVD (i just purchased Lesles Sansone's) it is a good workout (only 15 min to start).

Instead of cookies, how about a 98 calorie treat which makes the house smell yummy. In a crockpot put apples, cinnamon, and sugar and let it cook for 2 to 3 hours. Add some low calorie whip cream and you have a delicious dessert :smile:

Hope you feel better soon!

......BTW, thanks for the reminder on stretching - i'm hoping to be exercising soon and I never think to stretch!!
  • AndreaG170
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! That sounds delicious. I've made the same thing before, only I put it over french toast, and that was a delicious breakfast, before I started dieting... Even so, you could make french toast with wheat bread, using egg whites and skim milk, and put the apples over that. It's nice for a Sunday brunch if you're not planning on having a big lunch two hours later.

I always need a reminder to stretch. I might just tape a big note on the cover of my Dance Central game that says "STRETCH!" and that way I'll remember before I even put the game in the console.

A heating pad is a good idea too. Thanks again!
  • mforcemaniac
    mforcemaniac Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I might just tape a big note on the cover of my Dance Central game that says "STRETCH!" and that way I'll remember before I even put the game in the console.

I usually leave mine in the console, unless I'm putting Kinect Sports in. Both great workouts.

Also, those apples sound delicious, how much sugar do you use?
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I am part of the accident prone club! Early last week I managed to sprain my ankle getting up of the floor after a round of core circuits I do. Why? Because I was tired and not very stable as I stood. Fortunately, it was minor and did not stop me from working out. There is nothing harder than starting up a workout routine that has been stalled for a few weeks.

I hope you heal quickly! And I'm glad you found an exercise program you like, that's half the battle. :)

Steve
  • AndreaG170
    Options
    Thanks! Yeah, I haven't tried the Kinect sports yet, but I'd like to try that as well as Kinect Personal Trainer. They're coming out with some excellent games for Kinect and Wii that are great for working out. It makes it more fun.

I am feeling so much better this evening! I took it easy for a couple days and now I am planning on getting up early tomorrow morning before work to do some aerobic dancing. :) I'll definitely stretch tomorrow before I start, and I'll take it easy on my right arm.

Good luck with your ankle and have a good week, everyone!
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Did you ever sprain both your ankles? <<<<
    me
  • NickyCat101
    Options
    I always seem to throw my hip out when I exercise...or twist an ankle. Hope you are ok.
  • AndreaG170
    Options
    I've broken my ankle and I've sprained that same ankle, and to be honest, the sprain hurt worse than the break. As for hips and knees, yes. I also have "floating knee caps" (can't ever remember the actual name for it) and if I do something crazy like "suicides," my knees and hips are awful.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    This was before I started my recent weight loss journey but it seems fitting here. Last month I woke up with this terrible back spasm. There has been a spot in my back/neck area that have been niggling me for 2 years but that day I was completely messed up. I stayed in bed for one day hoping it would go away. It didn't. I went to the chiropractor the next day. He had me fixed up. It was my first time at a chiropractor but I can't say I enjoyed the experience. I was thankful though. I was a little sore but much better. I was definitely moving and definitely on the mend. Then I went home and started cheerfully cleaning house. Thirty minutes after I was home I was putting up a stool and suddenly I slipped, fell backwards, hit the corner of a doorway on the previously traumatized spot and went crashing to the ground. Luckily I had my cell phone on me as I paged my neighbor to come rescue me. She iced me for a bit so I could finally get up enough to slide into bed, where I stayed for the next week. I did try to go to the chiropractor again but because we weren't sure my ribs weren't cracked yet and because I was too swollen, he couldn't work on me right then and there. Needless to say when snow came two weeks later as I was visiting out of town, I was soooo hesitant with every step I took and all I thought was how I was going to be the one to fall because I was being super careful while my friends were happily sloshing and walking fast in the wet slippery white slush.
  • AndreaG170
    Options
    Oh no! That sounds awful! I have back problems as well, and make regular visits to the chiropractor. I hate walking on the ice. It puts so much strain on your back and knees. I had a roommate in college who was a figure skating instructor and when the sidewalks were icy, she was right at home, skating along... And here I was, twenty feet behind her, waddling along nervously.

But falling off a stool and hitting your already sore back on a hard corner?? Ouch!! I certainly hope that injury hasn't continued to give you pain over the last few weeks. It'll probably take a while for you to be back to 100%, but good luck!