Help me find more No Sugar ( and no sweetener) products

Options
I am not a hard core low-carber, more likely a medium carber as my goal is to keep my total carbs under a 100g per day.

However, I do cut out sugar and that was the single best thing I did to my diet. I also try to avoid artificial sweeteners such as surlalose, maltitol ,aspartame etc.

I have a hard time finding product that do not have sugar or sugar substitutes.

For example is there any yogurt -except plain ones- that has no sugar or sweetener? I love fruit yogurt, and I usually do myself some at the morning using high protein greek yogurt and some frozen fruit. However, it would be soo much convenient to buy yogurt like that in the store. I do not get it , fruit is sweet, why fruit yogurt has to have added sugar or sweetener in it?

Same with jam. Fruit is sweet, why every jam has to have sugar in it? Now E.d smith come out some no -sugar added versions, but they are full of surcalose, which I do not eat either.

Same with dried fruit & nut mixes. If I read the label , it always turn out they are adding tons of sugar to the fruit.

Shout me with your not so secret sugar free products!

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    That is a battle that you probably wont win.

The common foods we love have more 'alternatives' available for just about every dietary restrictive lifestyle. If you take away its nemesis - you are bound to find an alternative fat, alternative sugar, alternative sodium... and then it gets worse - perservatives and additives because some how they have to make that product sustain on the shelf until someone purchases it and opens it for consumption.

The minute a fruit-food is added to any dairy-related product, you are not only bringing natural sugars to it, but you are also incorporating oxygen to the item when you mix the two together. Both actions of simply opening it and mixing things in, you are adding oxygen.

All bacteria needs is a moist, dark area with access to oxygen to create bacteria. To counter-act that, manufacturers add the unhealthy junk to it to slow the process down enough for people to consume the food.

In all honesty, I personally believe you are better off either doing without them or..... targeting foods NATURALLY.... no more prepacked/packaged/boxed processed foods. If you consider these items, have them in moderation if you are medically capable of handling moderation (someone like me, I cant do moderation with the allergies I have)... its something only you can find a personal balance with.

I think the only time I actually have yogurt, would be Chobani's plain non-fat yogurt for when Im making homemade Tzaziki sauce. And that is a twice-per-month treat. Im not a fan of yogurt-PERIOD.... Im not a fan of packaged-anything... it makes me extremely sick!
  • cramernh
    Options
    it would be soo much convenient to buy yogurt like that in the store.

Thats the problem. Convenience means you have to deal with all that is added to prepackaged/preprocessed foods...
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    What types of food are you looking for?

I would suggest you consider natural options when you can. Meats, fish, many cheeses, salads, vegetables, nuts (in moderation - esp. almonds / walnuts) are all good choices with little or no sugars.

If you are looking for low carb "snack" foods, you go run into more of the chemistry set of sugar substitutes. I admit going there occasionally, but try to keep it to a few times a week. But it depends on work and travel. Low carb with sugar substitutes is better than high carb.

Kroger makes a yogurt called "carb buster" that my wife has bought in past. I don't remember the ingredients but it probably has the sugar substitutes, but taste good and are pretty low in carbs. I also found a protein shake I like at Costco with 30G of protein and almost no carbs (1 net I think) that tastes good and I like right after a hard workout.

BTW, I find the more carbs you are willing to eat, the harder low carb is to stay on. If you stick with an Atkins style regimen ~20g per day - which I am doing now - the rules are simple, your belly is full, and it is easy to stick with. Once you start adding more carbs you run the risks of triggering the insulin response which makes you hungry, which makes you eat, which makes you stop losing. This happens somewhat as you progress through the Atkins levels, but with the help of exercise and months of low-carbng experience, it is possible to add the carbs back without gaining. But when getting started with a lot ot lose, I think it makes it harder. YMMV.

I am new to this forum but not to Atkins diets. Have done it twice before - both times I reached my goal weight and maintained for 3+ years with diet and exercise. Life threw me a couple of curve balls (one was breaking my leg which took me out of the exercising lifestyle, and the other was job-related stress which lead to depression and loss of interest in myself). But in a better place now, and have lost 16 lbs since the beginning of 2012 by following low carb diet, and exercising (40% cardio, 60% strength training). Feels good and gaining momentum!
  • cramernh
    Options
    BTW, I find the more carbs you are willing to eat, the harder low carb is to stay on. If you stick with an Atkins style regimen ~20g per day - which I am doing now - the rules are simple, your belly is full, and it is easy to stick with. Once you start adding more carbs you run the risks of triggering the insulin response which makes you hungry, which makes you eat, which makes you stop losing. This happens somewhat as you progress through the Atkins levels, but with the help of exercise and months of low-carbng experience, it is possible to add the carbs back without gaining. But when getting started with a lot ot lose, I think it makes it harder. YMMV.

I am new to this forum but not to Atkins diets. Have done it twice before - both times I reached my goal weight and maintained for 3+ years with diet and exercise. Life threw me a couple of curve balls (one was breaking my leg which took me out of the exercising lifestyle, and the other was job-related stress which lead to depression and loss of interest in myself). But in a better place now, and have lost 16 lbs since the beginning of 2012 by following low carb diet, and exercising (40% cardio, 60% strength training). Feels good and gaining momentum!

I would add that if Atkins is right for the OP, a check with her PCP would be helpful to determine if this style is right for her. Its definitely not for everyone...
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    Try getting some sugar free jelly of your choice and putting a spoon or two if it in plain yogurt. I have done this and it's very good.
  • cramernh
    Options
    Try getting some sugar free jelly of your choice and putting a spoon or two if it in plain yogurt. I have done this and it's very good.

This suggestion goes against what the OP is asking. Sugar-free jello contains apartame and other additives...
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options

This suggestion goes against what the OP is asking. Sugar-free jello contains apartame and other additives...

Oops, My bad.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options

The common foods we love have more 'alternatives' available for just about every dietary restrictive lifestyle. If you take away its nemesis - you are bound to find an alternative fat, alternative sugar, alternative sodium... and then it gets worse - perservatives and additives because some how they have to make that product sustain on the shelf until someone purchases it and opens it for consumption.

The minute a fruit-food is added to any dairy-related product, you are not only bringing natural sugars to it, but you are also incorporating oxygen to the item when you mix the two together. Both actions of simply opening it and mixing things in, you are adding oxygen.

All bacteria needs is a moist, dark area with access to oxygen to create bacteria. To counter-act that, manufacturers add the unhealthy junk to it to slow the process down enough for people to consume the food.

In all honesty, I personally believe you are better off either doing without them or..... targeting foods NATURALLY.... no more prepacked/packaged/boxed processed foods. If you consider these items, have them in moderation if you are medically capable of handling moderation (someone like me, I cant do moderation with the allergies I have)... its something only you can find a personal balance with.

I think the only time I actually have yogurt, would be Chobani's plain non-fat yogurt for when Im making homemade Tzaziki sauce. And that is a twice-per-month treat. Im not a fan of yogurt-PERIOD.... Im not a fan of packaged-anything... it makes me extremely sick!
    Maybe you are right, and this is a battle lost from start, but I still do not understand why. I understand that sugar feeds bacteria, but still do not understand why manufacturers has to put added sugar beside the fruits. Fruits have plenty of natural sugar in them plenty to make the flavour. So why is the need to add more sugar to it? Having 25 g of sugar instead of 5 g won't slow don't the process for sure. If manufactures are able to prevent spoilage of a regular fruit+added sugar yoghurt with 25 g sugar , then a 5 g fruit added yogurt shouldn't be a problem.

I regularly purchase organic dairy product , and frequently shop at health stores. Still I have to come across a single dairy-product that has fruit in it but not extra sugar.

I understand that some people do not like dairy or their body do not agree with dairy, but for our family dairy is a major part of our diet. Dairy is specially important for 3y old son, who I have hard time to feed meat. Dairy and eggs are the 2 most important protein source in his diet, not to mention the calcium requirement of his growing bones.

I but the plain yogurt, the plain cottage cheese, and I flavour them at home with different fruit. This is great , but I do not always have time for this.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I know there is many ways to flavour things artificially, but I am looking for product that natural sugarfree or regular jello is definitely not on the list of product that I am searching for,
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I know there is many ways to flavour things artificially, but I am looking for product that natural sugarfree or regular jello is definitely not on the list of product that I am searching for,

Did the poster mean jello or jelly? There are some all natural "spreadable fruit" type jellies that have no added sugar I believe.
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am guessing that products that use fruits, even natural fruits, need to add sugar for a consistent taste. Have you ever eaten a handfull of strawberries or blueberries out of a random store-bought box? You will get some that are sweet and some that are tart. Have you ever had a batch of berries that had been chopped and sat in sugar for a while? They are more uniformly sweet.

There's no way to mass-produce an item with fruit in it and not risk that some of your items will be tart and some sweet. Unless there's someone taking a bite out of each berry before it goes into the batch, it just can't be done. If you get something at a restaurant where the berries seem uniformly sweet, it's because the buyer and or the chef was able to choose the sweetest LOOKING berries from what they have on hand since their output is so small compared to a mass producer of pre-packaged products.

I think you're just out of luck when it comes to pre-packaged fruit and yogurt.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I think Polaner All Fruit is a brand that only uses fruit. I do not eat jelly, but I think my son gets this kind.
  • cramernh
    Options
    I think Polaner All Fruit is a brand that only uses fruit. I do not eat jelly, but I think my son gets this kind.

Nope... unfortunately that is not true.

http://www.polanerallfruit.com/polaner/index.html

Coming direct from their website:

"Our Polaner All Fruit products are sweetened only with fruit juice. Our Polaner Sugar Free w/Fiber products are sweetened with SPLENDA. Our Polaner Jams, Jellies and Preserves are sweetened with high fructose corn syrup."

IMPORTANT SIDE NOTE: The Sugar-Free w/Fiber... the fiber is Maltodextrin... This is a known ingredient that can still aggravate people with Celiac/Gluten issues.
  • cramernh
    Options

Maybe you are right, and this is a battle lost from start, but I still do not understand why. I understand that sugar feeds bacteria, but still do not understand why manufacturers has to put added sugar beside the fruits. Fruits have plenty of natural sugar in them plenty to make the flavour. So why is the need to add more sugar to it? Having 25 g of sugar instead of 5 g won't slow don't the process for sure. If manufactures are able to prevent spoilage of a regular fruit+added sugar yoghurt with 25 g sugar , then a 5 g fruit added yogurt shouldn't be a problem.

I regularly purchase organic dairy product , and frequently shop at health stores. Still I have to come across a single dairy-product that has fruit in it but not extra sugar.

I understand that some people do not like dairy or their body do not agree with dairy, but for our family dairy is a major part of our diet. Dairy is specially important for 3y old son, who I have hard time to feed meat. Dairy and eggs are the 2 most important protein source in his diet, not to mention the calcium requirement of his growing bones.

I but the plain yogurt, the plain cottage cheese, and I flavour them at home with different fruit. This is great , but I do not always have time for this.

I spent a good 14 years working two full time jobs: healthcare under 26 different specialties of medicine and culinary as a chef.

Products made in the realm of convenience will never be 100% pure natural because there is always something they will require to add to it, in order for the product to sell and last for a reasonable amount of time for the consumer.

If you get a Fat-free item, you are more than likely eating a product with unhealthy trans-fats (look for hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated in the ingredient list) as a way to compensate.

If you get a sugar-free item, you will get sugar alternatives...
    ...and so on.

No matter what, you are stuck with this if you choose to willingly purchase convenience foods. That is how shelf-life is extended.

Thats why its so important to eat as fresh as possible.
    Good meal planning is key.. if you can plan ahead what you want, then that is half the battle
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I don't think I can help much here. But, I would suggest developing a taste for sugar free/no sweetener foods. eg: spicy foods, etc. I love plain yogurt. I make yogurt raita and kefir.
    -) To make raita, add finely chopped cucumber, red onions and a hint of lime juice to plain yogurt and enjoy!. You don't need to add salt. BTW, i make my own yogurt with 2% organic milk as it has a natural sweetness.
    -) Kefir - To plain kefir, add some lime juice or juice from ginger + crushed pepper + little salt and some ice. Delicious!

Fact -> In India, yogurt is consumed mostly plain. In very rare occasions, it is consumed in sweet form by adding mango puree to make a drink called "Lassi".

my 2 cents!
    Cheers!