Possibly PMS but nevertheless

Options
I am gaining. I have ONLY been doing NROL4W for 2 weeks so I am aware it cant be muscle gain yet. I am due to start TOM on Wednesday so it could be water weight BUT when I look in the mirror I am starting to see more midsection flab that was previously gone. I went from losing 7 lbs since startign MFP to only losing 3 as I weighed myself today and adjusted my ticker. I have set MFP to lose 1/2 lb a week (just did that today as I was on maintenance per NROL4W book). I feel like doing what NROL4W is telling me to eat is making me gain "bad fat" weight not muscle. Now is this normal? I'm all for saying the scale is evil but I also dont want to backtrack on all my hard work to get rid of midesction flab. I did take pics and will post later. You can tell me (with the horrible pics) if you see the gain. I am fine gaining muscle just not when I see flab reappear. Know what I mean?

Criticize or comfort me...lol.

Replies

• SmallerBecky
    Options
    Jeanine, I am in EXACTLY the same boat. I am due for TOM later this week, I have been eating a lot to build muscle while doing P90X, and I have decided I look "thicker" everywhere than I did a month ago! I know that you gain a small percentage of fat with every pound of muscle so I'm okay with that but it's time to make a change to lose fat, as far as I'm concerned! I start the Spike Diet tomorrow. I'm going to weigh in tomorrow morning and change my ticker to whatever it says and it is NOT going to be pretty, especially considering some of it is PMS water retention! :P

You've been lifting for a while too (just not New Rules), so it IS possible that you have gained muscle and some fat along with it already. Don't be discouraged. Just look at it like I do, as a process. We gain some fat with muscle building, then we spend some time cutting to display that beautiful, lean muscle! Think about what Jamie Eason does (I know she is an inspiration for both of us!): She has cycles of "bulking" and cutting, and her BF% fluctuates to reflect that! I guess you have to make the decision, like I did: do you want to be in bulking or cutting phase right now? I chose cutting at this point, as it will be springtime in about six weeks and I would like to be smaller for summer! I'm still going to lift but I will not be concentrating so much on feeding muscle for gains but more for just trying to hang onto what I have built so far (and not losing it).

I hope this gives you something to think about and helps!!!
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Jeanine, I am in EXACTLY the same boat. I am due for TOM later this week, I have been eating a lot to build muscle while doing P90X, and I have decided I look "thicker" everywhere than I did a month ago! I know that you gain a small percentage of fat with every pound of muscle so I'm okay with that but it's time to make a change to lose fat, as far as I'm concerned! I start the Spike Diet tomorrow. I'm going to weigh in tomorrow morning and change my ticker to whatever it says and it is NOT going to be pretty, especially considering some of it is PMS water retention! :P

You've been lifting for a while too (just not New Rules), so it IS possible that you have gained muscle and some fat along with it already. Don't be discouraged. Just look at it like I do, as a process. We gain some fat with muscle building, then we spend some time cutting to display that beautiful, lean muscle! Think about what Jamie Eason does (I know she is an inspiration for both of us!): She has cycles of "bulking" and cutting, and her BF% fluctuates to reflect that! I guess you have to make the decision, like I did: do you want to be in bulking or cutting phase right now? I chose cutting at this point, as it will be springtime in about six weeks and I would like to be smaller for summer! I'm still going to lift but I will not be concentrating so much on feeding muscle for gains but more for just trying to hang onto what I have built so far (and not losing it).

I hope this gives you something to think about and helps!!!

You just made me feel soooo much better Becky!!! THANKYOU!
  • SmallerBecky
    Options
    It was the Jamie Eason point, wasn't it? ;)
  • kcfaber
    kcfaber Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    So feeling your pain on this point. It's TOM for me too and combination of scale numbers and overall appearance are not encouraging. But still trying to keep focused on the definition I can see in my arms and legs and the strength I feel when lifting heavy. Wish I had been better about taking some pics and measurements earlier in this process but I know it's not too late. Only just finished Stage 3 so a ways to go. Trying to be more long-term focused about it and not get annoyed when I see other people dropping weight so much faster. Anyway, feeling the same as you but determined to stick it out.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I bet it's just TOM and also consider this: on the day after you lift heavy you muscles tear up and hold on to a lot of water to repair, so it might just be water as well. When you finish stage 1 and do a deload week between stages then see how the weight is then.. I'm currently on stage 6. When I was just starting I increase the cals. a lot and gained weight-due to poor eating as well. But as by the time I hit stage 4 I went down a size in jeans and dropped 2-3 % body fat. Now I'm doing better with the eating, so my weight is going down again-sticking to close to 2000 cals on lifting day and 1800 on non. Don't get down on your self. The weight will start dropping.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Thankyou! :heart:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I bet it's just TOM and also consider this: on the day after you lift heavy you muscles tear up and hold on to a lot of water to repair, so it might just be water as well. When you finish stage 1 and do a deload week between stages then see how the weight is then.. I'm currently on stage 6. When I was just starting I increase the cals. a lot and gained weight-due to poor eating as well. But as by the time I hit stage 4 I went down a size in jeans and dropped 2-3 % body fat. Now I'm doing better with the eating, so my weight is going down again-sticking to close to 2000 cals on lifting day and 1800 on non. Don't get down on your self. The weight will start dropping.
    Totally agree. I just finished stage 7 and started a cutting phase. I know how it feel to see the scale go up but this is not a 2 week process...it is a 6 months process.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Totally agree. I just finished stage 7 and started a cutting phase. I know how it feel to see the scale go up but this is not a 2 week process...it is a 6 months process.

Oh I know its a 6 month process. I did Supreme90's 90 day plan prior as well. I just worked so hard on getting the fat off my midsection that now that its coming back I have decided this is not what I want especially right before Summer. I would rather do cardio, lose fat but also lift to maintain, as I know I wont gain muscleunless I have a calorie surplus, until next Fall.
  • SmallerBecky
    Options

Oh I know its a 6 month process. I did Supreme90's 90 day plan prior as well. I just worked so hard on getting the fat off my midsection that now that its coming back I have decided this is not what I want especially right before Summer. I would rather do cardio, lose fat but also lift to maintain, as I know I wont gain muscleunless I have a calorie surplus, until next Fall.

I guess we are right on the same track, Jeanine! What are you setting your calories at for cutting right now, then? I'm taller and bigger than you are, but I'm setting mine at 1500 Monday-Saturday (high protein, high fiber, low carb, and NO eating back exercise calories!) and then 3000 on Sundays with no exercise that day! The Spike Diet. We'll see how this works. P90X until mid-March, then I might just do some of New Rules' exercises to maintain muscle and do my cardio stuff, probably more running outside when the weather warms up. Then in the fall...LOTS of progressively heavier lifting!
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

I guess we are right on the same track, Jeanine! What are you setting your calories at for cutting right now, then? I'm taller and bigger than you are, but I'm setting mine at 1500 Monday-Saturday (high protein, high fiber, low carb, and NO eating back exercise calories!) and then 3000 on Sundays with no exercise that day! The Spike Diet. We'll see how this works. P90X until mid-March, then I might just do some of New Rules' exercises to maintain muscle and do my cardio stuff, probably more running outside when the weather warms up. Then in the fall...LOTS of progressively heavier lifting!

I set MFP to lose 1/2 lb a week so they put me at 1300 cals. Then I will eat all but 250 excercise cals back which means I probably wont be eating many back...lol. Think I'm going to try the low carb thing too with a spike day. Another friend of mine just told me she lost 3 lbs by doing this (7 days) sooooo.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    This might also make you feel better, it took me almost until the end of stage 1 (about 5 weeks) before I noticed any measurable difference. Because you were active and lifting before, your body is going to react slower to the program than someone who was doing nothing. Give it some more time.

The other thing to consider is, and this might be gross so I don't expect you to share the answer, but how are your poop cycles? Sometimes, especially when the fat is just in the middle section, that could actually be the problem. If you don't go regularly you should try adjusting your diet to help (lots of lettuce will do the trick) or even talk to your doctor if it's particularly bad.

I travel frequently for work which always seems to make me very constipated and adds to a fuller midsection. When I'm home and on my normal "cycle" it's not an issue.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    This might also make you feel better, it took me almost until the end of stage 1 (about 5 weeks) before I noticed any measurable difference. Because you were active and lifting before, your body is going to react slower to the program than someone who was doing nothing. Give it some more time.

The other thing to consider is, and this might be gross so I don't expect you to share the answer, but how are your poop cycles? Sometimes, especially when the fat is just in the middle section, that could actually be the problem. If you don't go regularly you should try adjusting your diet to help (lots of lettuce will do the trick) or even talk to your doctor if it's particularly bad.

I travel frequently for work which always seems to make me very constipated and adds to a fuller midsection. When I'm home and on my normal "cycle" it's not an issue.

Okay I didnt think about my body reacting slower. That makes sense. LOL...have no issue with BMs. :happy:
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    hahah, glad you're staying regular :)