Mid 40's

Options
scottsa
scottsa Posts: 7 Member
Id be pleased with loosing 10 lbs as long as its done in a healthy way and that it stays off pernanently. As i get older Ive noticed my weight creeping up, my skin sagging down, my stress level high, yet my energy is at an all time low. I can use all the help i can get!

Replies

• Agefyter
    Agefyter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wow! Your post looks like it was written by me! I'm 49 and feeling like a tree. I add a "ring" to my waistline each year. Currently dieting to get rid of the extra 5-10 lbs. Is this how it's going to be forever?
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the idea of finding some maintence level that is not indulgent, BUT I'm extremely frustrated right now that I'm killing myself and losing nothing. I'm eating well and busting it as hard as I can on cardio. Twenty years ago, I would have lost ten pounds in two weeks at this pace. Currently, I'm at about half a pound.
  • kaekencoffee
    kaekencoffee Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hey all. I'm not so much 'dieting', I just want to be healthy! I want my clothes to fit properly, I want to be able to run short distances without feeling winded, I want to start sleeping better and feel rested.
    Just starting to post on topics and hoping to encourage and be encourage by people around my age, 47.
    Hope y'all have a wonderful Valentines Day!
  • Agefyter
    Options
    I feel the same way but I can't seem to maintain after I get to the point my clothes fit well, I can water ski without being laid up the next day, or maybe just wash the motorhome without having to take an 800 mg motrin. It's not that I get too skinny or anything, I just start with a cheat day, then a cheat weekend, then before I know it those 5-10 extra lbs have found me once again.
    AND I certainly sleep better when I'm eating well and exercising on a regular basis. No more 2AM crossword puzzles!
  • scottsa
    Options
    Well ive been at it 10 days or so but i don't have a scale at home so i'll have to wait until im back to work to find out how much weight if any ive lost if any. The 2 good signs are that i can bend over easier and don't feel the bulge as much and i'm getting used to not eating after dinner so i'm sure that's helping.I took some unflatering but eye opening pics of myself against a door frame in my sport bra and shorts this week with hopes that ill be able to have a comparison soon and use that as inspiration to acheive my goal. Id like to start running soon too, but i dont run indoors and the snow needs to melt first! Keep at it ladies, every little bit counts.
  • Agefyter
    Options
    My daughter has lost 7 lbs over the last month by eating right and exercising but the first week she saw no movement on the scale and was disappointed. Please don't stop what you are doing scottsa. You WILL see a difference soon and it will get easier for you to make the proper lifestyle changes to keep the weight coming off and to get fitter. Pics are a great motivator. I can't live without a scale though. It keeps me in check. I weigh myself once or twice a week and it helps me realize how much my weight can fluctuate and I don't freak out on a lb or two here or there.

Keep it up!
  • scottsa
    Options
    Thanks for the positive comments. I AM feeling fitter and thats a leap in the right direction. Funny thing, my daughter has started asking questions about my quest. She might just buy on to it too which would make it that much more inspiring, well until one of us starts being competitive about it that is. Maybe we're better off not doing at the same time afterall :(
  • Agefyter
    Options
    I'm 49, my daughter is 22. It's been GREAT that we are both working on our health and fitness at the same time. We have a lot of discussion about it, read articles to each other, even go to the gym together once or twice a week. You should encourage her to ride along with you. You ARE practicing what you preach!
  • scottsa
    Options
    We went to her gym twice this week as she was on reading week. She is proud to show off her ability and im pleased that she wanted me along. I got weighed today and im pleased to say i lost 5 lbs! Fact is ive already noticed the benefits of looser fitting jeans and the abilty to move around more freely too. Im happy with that and encouraged to keep going. Cheers!
  • Agefyter
    Options
    Congratulations on the 5 lb loss AND going to the gym with your daughter!
  • takeitalloff
    Options
    Wow, all the posts sound like me and my plight! I am 43, and the mid-section, which used to be the LAST place I gained weight, now has a couple of rolls, one front, and on below each shoulder blade! UGH! I told my husband that the amount of calorie counting and exercising I'm doing would have surely resulted in me losing 10-15 pounds within a month...now, not so much. I try not to get discouraged but it's hard when you used to be able to work/eat the same way and the results are less than stellar in my book.

I've lost 9 lbs since the first week of January. I'm on month 3 and should I be down another 15 pounds? I won't give up. I've got to take it ALL off!!
  • Agefyter
    Options
    9 lbs is great! Slow and steady wins the race and all that crap. It's hard when you know you're doing it right (slowly, lifestyle change, exercise, etc) so the weight will stay off but it's pretty damn defeating when you put so much effort into it and maybe lose only one pound in a week. I mean, I only drank ONE GLASS of wine each night and ate really well! Really? Only one pound? Ah, the curse of aging!
  • takeitalloff
    Options
    Thank you, Agefyter! You understand my frustration though. Is there such thing as fat that is too old to budge? I tell you, some of this fat has been with me since 1990!! Will I be able to do it? This is crazy, but I won't look at my body in the mirror b/c since I"m my own worst critic I don't usually see the changes. I rely on my just how my clothes fit right now. I know I shouldn't be so critical but I can' help it.
  • Agefyter
    Options
    Haha! Never thought of fat too old to budge! Mine just may be like my 22 yo daughter, too comfortable to move out. I sure hope not!

I have a very hard time turning my "critical" attitude into my "good for me" attitude but I try to work on it daily.
    "Good for me: I went to the gym today" instead of "Jeez, are my thighs made ENTIRELY of cottage cheese?"
    I tell you what though, my thoughts of turning 50 in a few months and being fitter and slimmer than I was in my 40's sure would be an accomplishment. I lost several lbs before I signed up here, trying hard to lose a few more and try to stay there. Damn the wine!