Hope for a UK thyroid patient?

Options
CarolynB38
CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
Hi

I have been looking through the topics in this group and have visited the websites recommended. I have previously heard of Dr. Skinner, the infamous doctor who actually listens his patients and treats them according to their illness rather than GMC guidelines. I had also heard that there was to be a hearing as the GMC had decided he was not fit to practise due to his audacity in giving his patients what they needed to be well. I read an article that in November the GMC have agreed that he did nothing wrong and all his privileges have been reinstated, which is great for him and his patients :bigsmile:

The article also suggests this might be new hope for all UK hypothyroid patients as the GMC have also agreed that doctors may prescribe Armour thyroid on a NP basis (as it is still unlicensed) where needed. I just wanted to clarify that this is in fact true! Does anyone have any links to anywhere that show the GMC agreeing to this in case I need ammunition... I mean evidence... when I go for my TFT results?

A kind lady did message me a while ago to say it is possible, but one hell of a fight. If any of you could advise on the best way to go about this I would be very grateful.

I was originally put on Liothyronine (T3) when I was diagnosed many years ago as my psychiatrist had used it previously in conjunction with my antidepressants to treat drug-resistant depression. As I was fine with it and had no side effects (other than cured depression and feeling really well) my GP at the time of my hypothyroid diagnosis decided it would be fine to give me liothyronine instead of levothyroxine. Several years ago it was changed by a less forward-thinking GP to levothyroxine and I have never felt well since. I am hoping that as I have been well in the past on T3 but never well on synthetic T4 only, that I will stand a better chance of convincing my doctor, or is that just wishful thinking?

Does anyone know if I can get a referral from my GP to an endocrinologist? I know this is not normally done in the UK as the NHS believes that all hypothyroid patients need nothing more than a monthly prescription of thyroxine.

Sorry for such a long essay. Any help would be greatly appreciated in my battle against the NHS :bigsmile:

Replies

• seaglass2
    Options
    I am sorry I don't have any information on the questions you asked - didn't want to read and run.

When I could not get Armour in the United States my doctor gave me a script for Erfa Thyroid and it was filled though an on-line pharmacy in Canada. I believe you can get information from the website, stopthethyroidmadness.com

Good luck!
  • CarolynB38
    Options
    Thanks for your response. I have had a look at that website and it does look promising. I just have to find a doctor that will listen which might not be that easy! :frown:
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    One of our group members is having this same issue in Ireland. Unfortunately, we don't hear about these things too much in the U.S. There is a Facebook group called Stop The Thyroid Madness -- they are very responsive. You can ask there if anyone knows about progress of better hypo treatment in the UK. I agree you were better off on T3 only.
  • CarolynB38
    Options
    Thanks very much. I will look up that Facebook group! :happy: