Where are we?

Options
Kelly_1981
Kelly_1981 Posts: 472 Member
Hello all :drinker:

My name is Kelly I am 30 married with two kiddies and I have PCOS. I have started the low carb lifestyle in the past month and so far I havent found it hard at all. I am a serios chocolate addict and after failing to contain myself I cant even have the atkins bars because I cant stop once I start!

Anyway I live in Manningtree (near Colchester/Ipswich) so where are you from?

Replies

• panyg
    panyg Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm Pany and I live in London. I have been on Atkins on and off since 2001. I originally lost 5 and a half stone in 11 months but managed to gain most of the weight over the next few years. I then dedicated myself back to Atkins in 2005 and lost 6 stones in about a year. Unfortunately, my willpower didn't last long and I gained most of the weight again.

I'm about 3.5 stones from my goal now and plan to stay on Atkins as it's the only thing that works for me.
  • Stephie_J
    Stephie_J Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm Steph, 31 years old from Hitchin in Hertfordshire. I started my Low Carb journey in January 2011 to get down to a size 12 for my brother's wedding as I was one of his bridesmaids. I reached my target in plenty of time, losing 2 & 1/2 stone but as soon as the wedding was over I was a carb junkie again and the weight slowly piled back on.

My size 12s were getting tighter so I decided to go back to Low Carb this January and am just about back at my lowest weight from last year but hope to lose at least another 7lbs on top of that! :)
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I'm Laura, I'm 28 and I live in Leeds.

I'm a chronic yo-yoer- and then some!!! I was at my heaviest at the end of 2007 (24 stones), and I lost 10 stones (140lbs) in 2 years by low calorie, low fat eating- or just plain not eating!!!!!

I met my bf early 2010 and due to being happy & comfortable, and the fact I'd completely damaged my metabolism by eating <800 cals a day for 2 years I ended up piling on 7 stones in 1.5 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have found that low carbing, for me is what works. I did it last year for several months- but fell off the wagon (and regained the weight). I have been low carbing again since 6 January 2012 and so far have lost 21 pounds. I am determined more than ever to stick to this and reach and maintain my goal weight of 13 stone 9 (a healthy BMI for my 6'1" height).
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm 38 and live in Lancashire... and wasn't sure whether to join this group! Truth is, I lost 2.5st 10 years ago on an Atkins-style diet but it's gradually crept back on.

I've been on MFP for around six months now and have failed miserably to simply count calories and get exercise to lose weight. My biggest problem is that I have a HUGE appetite! I've not been entirely sure about the science behind low carb, but I do know that it helps to keep my appetite in check.

So, this week I've decided to go lower carb again. Not sure I will do it every day (weekends are always a struggle, particulary as I tend to do big six to eight hour hikes, which I just physically feel I need some level of carbs for) but Monday to Friday I am back on board! This is why I wasn't sure if it would be okay joining this group. Hope this is okay with everyone - I really do need some inspiration!

And I do find it frustrating that most of the recipe sites include ingredients that aren't available in the UK - maybe if I can figure out weekend food that is good for sticking in a rucksack then I can be a bit more committed to lower carb.

One great website for low carb recipes is by MFPer Dittiepe: http://blog.pittsburgh-diet-guru.com - she even takes requests if there is something you would like a low carb version of.
  • Louisa1979
    Louisa1979 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm Louisa, live in Cambridgeshire. I've lost 2 stone primarily on the Dukan diet. Tried WW but kept flat lining and then they changed the points system and I didn't want to have to learn it all again. Found low carb excellent as I'm not so hungry. Also very disciplined diet method and won't let you eat chocolate or wine (my weaknesses).

Looking to lose the last 3 lb or kg which seems so difficult. Went away for the weekend and put on a kg by eating what I wanted :(

Have to figure out a way of keeping carbs low long term without giving them up completely.
  • kazzyv
    kazzyv Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Karen. Lost weight on Atkins a few years ago but as usual it eventually came back. I started Atkins again in November and lost 15 lbs, Tried to be a bit careful over Christmas and managed to keep it off - only to put on 7lb in January as I thought I could "coast it". Started again last week. Lost 6lb so back up and running but will need constant encouragement. Target is a total of about 4 stone -56 lbs. Lets see how I go.
  • saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I'm living on the Isle of Wight, but originally from Yorkshire.

I lost 7 stones between 2002 and 2004 and successfully kept it off for a couple years but since then have had one injury after another (achilles tendon rupture in 2007, snapped ligaments in the other ankle in 2009) which meant that I was very limited in mobility, couldn't exercise and gained it all back again.

I started Atkins again in Nov 2010 and lost 2 stone in about 4 months. Had tendon surgery in March 2011, and was pretty much housebound for 3-4 months. By Jan I'd porbably put half a stone back on, but started again in earnest and joined MFP as well. Since then I've lost 17lbs and I'm very pleased. I had another operation on my ankle two weeks ago and am looking forward to getting more active again!

Still a long way to go though
  • yorkie2703
    yorkie2703 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi My name is Fiona and I live in Stevenage , Hertfordshire.

I am a lazy yo-yo dieter, I do really good for a while then I lose forcus then back to high carbs like bread/pasta/rice.
    Always an excuse to go back to HC working full time , 2 children , because it is easy.
    But this time I really need to sort myself out I am bigger now then I have ever been and it's upsetting so here goes....PMA
  • foomsy
    foomsy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I live in Hertfordshire and started low carb about a month ago. So far so good.

Got 2 - 3 stones to lose. Now on the way to melting it all........
  • JollyRogers86
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm Ash. Like Louisa, I lost near 3stone on the Dukan diet between January and June 2012. The goal was my wedding and since then this weight has crept back on. Purely my own fault. I stopped doing Dukan, went back to takeaways and even stopped exercising. I had been doing the 30 day shred alongside Dukan.

So now I'm getting back in to it all. I don't wish to do a strict Dukan diet. I found it quite tough to start off and the foods I ate became boring and samey. I am however, hoping to lower my carb in take as it is clearly what works.

Oh and I'm just outside of Glasgow, and I'm 27years old.

Xx