Olympic Bar Question (Stage One)

Options
keiraev
keiraev Posts: 695 Member
I did A3 yesterday and finally plucked up the courage to use the squat rack- there was nobody in the gym so that definitely helped, now I won't feel as nervous using it next time if there are loads of people there!

Just one Q - I did my back squats with just the olympic bar yesterday just so I could practice my form etc I could definitely have managed to load it up with more weight so will do next time, but do you count the bar in to the weight you lift or just the weights added on? ie. The barbell weighs 20kg alone so if you added on 20kg in weights on there would you call that 40kg in total or just 20kg & not count the bar?

Replies

• cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    i count the bar, i'm still lifting it, so I figure it counts.
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    I count the bar. Without the bar it's a 'body weight' squat.

And good for you on using th squat rack. I used to be intimidated of the free weight area, but I put it in my head like this.... I pay my dues every month and I will use whatever area of the gym that want. AND, no one was born with a barbell or dumbbell in hand... Everyone has to start somewhere. :smile:
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Count the bar.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Yep, count the bar. :flowerforyou:
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I too was a little intimidated when I first started using the weight room but I love it. And the guys give me my due respect now, so keep at it!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ yep. If I move the thing it sure get counted!!!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Oops! Double post.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    I agree, count the bar. And, good for you for working on your form, first!!

(I still do my warm-up sets, for squats, with just the OB!)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I did A3 yesterday and finally plucked up the courage to use the squat rack- there was nobody in the gym so that definitely helped, now I won't feel as nervous using it next time if there are loads of people there!

Just one Q - I did my back squats with just the olympic bar yesterday just so I could practice my form etc I could definitely have managed to load it up with more weight so will do next time, but do you count the bar in to the weight you lift or just the weights added on? ie. The barbell weighs 20kg alone so if you added on 20kg in weights on there would you call that 40kg in total or just 20kg & not count the bar?

The bar is 45 pounds, I totally include that poundage in my weight.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Thanks all - good to know!:glasses: