1200 calories per day person here

Options
Di3012
Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
Hi

I am on 1200 calories per day. I was getting a little fed-up at the continual griping on the main forum regarding how "little" 1200 calories is though.

Personally, I think it works.

Replies

• brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Perfect answer to the solution!!!! I'll join you here! I know it works too!!!!
  • Di3012
    Options
    Howdy Brooke :D
  • zoeydoggie
    Options
    I have had little trouble sticking to the 1200 calories a day. I do a lot of shopping at Trader Joe's and have found that many of their foods are good ..... Last night I had Trader Joe's - Wild Salmon In Yogurt & Mint Sauce With Orzo Pasta, Spinach & Zucchini, 1 container... it was delicious and 350 calories.
  • Di3012
    Options
    I have had little trouble sticking to the 1200 calories a day. I do a lot of shopping at Trader Joe's and have found that many of their foods are good ..... Last night I had Trader Joe's - Wild Salmon In Yogurt & Mint Sauce With Orzo Pasta, Spinach & Zucchini, 1 container... it was delicious and 350 calories.
    Nice find!!

Regarding sticking to 1200 calories, it is extremely important to eat the right things. If somebody, for instance, were to eat 1200 calories of rubbish per day, it is most likely they would be unable to stick to it for more than a few days. Their hunger would be extreme. If, however, somebody eats foods that are nutritious and has lots of protein, they are much more likely to succeed.

I find eggs are a definite "goodie" when it comes to filling foods. 70 calories per egg often means they can be sneaked in somewhere, either to be included as a meal or as a tasty little snack.

Chicken too, chicken is a good filler.
  • daisydarling
    daisydarling Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am also using the 1200 calorie plan. I hope I can be of some help here.
    Daisy Darling
  • ceelady01
    Options
    Hi, I am new to the site but my calorie intake is set for 1200 so any great advise will be helpful to me. Also, I am a southern girl that loves to cook & bake so recipes that's low in calorie but good is greatly appreciated too.
  • daisydarling
    daisydarling Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi
    thanks for the tip on protein and an egg as a snack with only 70 calories
    Daisydarling
  • Di3012
    Options
    Hi
    thanks for the tip on protein and an egg as a snack with only 70 calories
    Daisydarling

Ya welcome Daisy.

I love eggs, in fact, going to have an omelette for lunch today I think lol
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Agree with whats been said about making sure its the right kind of food - I think of my calories goal as a bank. I can only spend 1200 a day - so whats going to get me the best bang for my buck?

Grilled steak and veggies fills me completely and I know its nutritionally awesome. 1 meat pie is about the same calories - will it fill me - NO! Is it nutritious? NO! I also find when I go out for dinner I use the knowledge I have gained to make healthy choices. I can eat out, often have a glass of wine and still be under my calorie goal!

Planning is also the key. Look at options ahead of time and if you know your going out - skip something like your latte or perhaps have a smaller amount of meat with your lunch.

Also - dont listen to the nay-sayers on these boards. There are a lot of people who will tell you what your doing wrong. Also - ignore the crap about losing lean muscle. I have muscles and definately have not lost lean muscle!

Lastly - do what works for you. Its your body - only you know whats right. I know 1200 works for me - I've lost 60lbs in 8 months by doing this - and this includes 5 weeks spent overseas or interstate on holidays.
  • sherripaxton
    sherripaxton Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am on 1200 calories per day. I was getting a little fed-up at the continual griping on the main forum regarding how "little" 1200 calories is though.

1200 calories a day is fine depending on your body size and current weight.
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    MFP has my thing set to 1480 but I hardly ever hit that. Most of the time it's 1,200-1,300ish... and I work out on top of that. Thanks for making this group. I was really getting sick of people saying you NEED to eat all your burned calories. I'm totally not going to be eating 2,600 calories a day... ever lol
  • Di3012
    Options
    MFP has my thing set to 1480 but I hardly ever hit that. Most of the time it's 1,200-1,300ish... and I work out on top of that. Thanks for making this group. I was really getting sick of people saying you NEED to eat all your burned calories. I'm totally not going to be eating 2,600 calories a day... ever lol

Hi Christi! I know what you mean. To be honest, I can never see me eating that amount even at maintenance, not unless I weaken and start eating sweets and chocolate, it wouldn't be too difficult for me then LOL. Not going to do that though, that's why I am back here because I did that after reaching my goal last time :D
  • christibam
    Options
    lol The smallest I've ever gotten down to as an adult was 225 down from 308. Then I got back up to 298. Once I see 199, there will never be a 2 in front of my weight again... well, unless I get super pregnant later down the road before I hit 150 lol
  • mom2jjl
    Options
    Hi I am new and I am aiming to hit no more than 1200 daily with 1 cheat day thrown in per week :) This is my plan and I am sticking to it ;) Great to know there is a board out here like this!!!
  • Di3012
    Options
    Hi I am new and I am aiming to hit no more than 1200 daily with 1 cheat day thrown in per week :) This is my plan and I am sticking to it ;) Great to know there is a board out here like this!!!

Hi Mom2! welcome to MFP!!
  • didyb
    didyb Posts: 19 Member
    Options

That's exactly my goal-- but I'm finding there are way too many "special" days that are leading me to 2 cheat days a week. Oh, well... nothing happening now at least til Easter. My cheat day is Saturday-- eating dinner out is my weekly treat, and I don't want to be restrained with calories. I realize that it slows my progress, but as long as I still see progress with the weekly cheat day, I can live with it.
  • mom2jjl
    Options
    My thoughts on having that cheat day every week is that aiming for the 1200 calories per day and then having the one high calorie day will keep my body going? Keep my metabolism revved? I think??
  • christibam
    Options
    I used to have a cheat day. Then I ended up not even wanting high calorie things lol. I can't even explain it. The crap *kitten* food I used to loooooooove and crave so bad sort of sounds not as good now. I kept telling myself that, once I hit 265, I would try Giordano's for the first time... I ended up at 264.2 and went to iHop where I got a 400 calorie breakfast and could only finish half of it. I couldn't help but laugh.

Even still, I try to make a super amazingly disgusting burger and I end up with a turkey burger covered in spinach. It's funny.
  • KumariM
    Options
    Hi

I thought I had already posted in this topic :x

Well, I'm doing 1200 cals per day too. And the first time I said that on the main chat I got a "you are starving woman!", in spite of me saying that I almost don't eat any processed food and prefer lean proteins and veggies.
    So I'm glad you created this group, hope we can help each other :)
  • Di3012
    Options
    Hi

I thought I had already posted in this topic :x

Well, I'm doing 1200 cals per day too. And the first time I said that on the main chat I got a "you are starving woman!", in spite of me saying that I almost don't eat any processed food and prefer lean proteins and veggies.
    So I'm glad you created this group, hope we can help each other :)

Hi Kumari!

You will not starve either, as you are eating all the correct nutrients, I just looked at your diary and some of the days.

People seem fixated on the daily calorie amount, rather than what is contained in the foods consumed. It is vital that when somebody is on 1200 calories per day, that they get all their vitamins, minerals, protein, fats and carbs, otherwise, yes, they will start to put their bodies on deficiencies that are detrimental to it.

I like your diary by the way, WTG!