Lunches for nurse on the run

Options
I am starting the next phase of my nurse training on Monday, which means out in the community visiting patients in their homes, 5 days a week, 8am-6pm. I KNOW it's going to be physically and emotionally draining.

My whole low-carb success has been whilst either at home, or in Uni (part time). Last year whilst working in the hospital I survived through chocolate, cakes, bagels and basically fast food. I didn't gain weight (I was already fat!), but I certainly didn't lose, and felt completely exhausted at the end of each day (i.e. falling asleep on couch at 8pm).

So, can anyone help with an eating strategy please dear low-carbers? Ideally I would like to prepare stuff at the weekends. My best idea so far is a big vat of my staple veggie/cheese/cream soup, but I think that will quickly get old.

Thanks for any ideas :flowerforyou:

Replies

• dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    oh! I was a home health nurse for years. What I did was pack snacks such as celery and peanut butter, some lunch meat roll-ups with cream cheese, and even a protein drink. That way I could eat it while driving since it was essentially just finger foods :)
  • ShilohMaier
    Options
    On Sunday, I buy a dozen eggs, hard boil & peel them, and put them in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Then I just grab two and toss them in a ziploc bag with a dash of salt & pepper when I'm on my way to work. I also grab a mini baby belle cheese, and an Atkins bar.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I'd make a batch of bacon, egg & muffin frittatas (they will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days) and take 2 in. Also, here are a few more snacky ideas for on the move.

I see you're in the UK so I'll put down some brand names too!

Cheese strings
    Sugar free jelly (Rowntree/hartley's)
    Baby bells
    Pepperami sticks
    Olives & feta pots (Ready made from tesco/morrisons)
    Flax MIMs
    Tuna patties (see my recipe from the 'whats on your menu' thread.
    home made meatballs
    Salad pots
    Mixed pepper strips with a mini tup of philadelphia
    lettuce & ham roll ups
    Good quality full fat greek yoghurt (small pot- I use fage)
    Home made soup in a flask (cauliflower cheese soup, bacon & savoy cabbage chowder, chicken soup)

If you want any of the soup recipes let me know.
  • rhiasmith
    Options
    I'm always on the run as you are (However I'm a Veterinary Nurse) I have a packet of Snack a Jacks in caramel incase I need a sugar rush. My favourite is a tub of spinich with some lean chicken with some ground pepper sprinkled on. You can make it the night before and snack on it throughout the day.

On my long days I always have 2 slices of toast in the morning with peanut butter on and a protein shake this usually keeps me going from 8am-2pm ish and by then I'll have my lunch or a snack :)

Thanks

Rhia
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've been enjoying tuna salad and club sandwiches on Revolution Rolls:
    http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/549082-original-atkins-diet-revolution-roll-tweaks.html

I add 1 scoop of unflavored whey protein to the basic recipe (as suggested) and bake them in a muffin-top pan (as suggested). I make 12 rolls each Sunday for a total of 6 sandwiches during the week. I keep them in a ZipLoc bag in the fridge.

You could definitely pack a lunch with a sandwich made out of these rolls. They will hold up until lunch time! They are FANTASTIC!!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I do all of my food prep the same day I do the groceries...
    Ill prep up three to four days worth of meats, vegetables, sauces, etc...

Ill hard-boil some eggs
    Cook up 2 or 3 roaster chickens (all different flavor combinations)
    Cook up 1-2lbs of Beef Eye Round, again different flavor combinations

Vegetables will get prepped ahead and then when I get home, half the work needed to make a meal is half done! Ill make salads ahead in individual containers, etc.

I make a variety of compound butters with different combinations.

I eat fresh and healthy each and every day, and I would like a madwoman AND go to the gym! I know you can do this!!!!!!!!!!
  • tjtemple
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your ideas. I have no excuse now. Another pound off this morning which makes me even more determined to not blow it all on placement.

Laura_beau I would love your soup recipes please?