how do you stay positive?

Options
MamaGLUe
MamaGLUe Posts: 32 Member
I'm looking for ways to defeat the little negative voice in my head that gets in the way of staying on track with my plan and leads to emotional eating. I bought a CD with weight loss affirmations and visualizations by BelleRuth Naparstek and I love it. It has subtle cues to lead me to be satisfied with just enjoying the smelling of "no-no" foods, etc. What do you rely on for positive energy?

Replies

• nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have a powerful advantage staying on-track - wheat makes me feel like I have fibromyalgia! So not eating wheat is pretty easy.

Other than that, I get positive energy from NSVs like fitting back into my old clothes; my fat clothes becoming unwearably large for me; being surprised by body shape changes, and stuff like that. Reading Marks Daily Apple keeps me motivated. Little notes of encouragement on MFP mean a lot!

My daughter is dieting with me, and seeing her excitement as she loses weight makes it all worthwhile. :)

I also have a secret weapon on those rare occasions that carb cravings hit - bacon!
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    When I started getting up at five thirty in the morning and going to the gym, I notices a big change in my eating and food cravings. I just don't care as much about eating. Somehow, I have changed in that respect. So I say more exercise may help you stay positive. It worked for me.
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    When you're low-carbing and ketosis is your goal, "one little bit" of a "no-no" food can really set you back. Not like when you're eating low-fat and you have a cheeseburger and you go to the gym a little extra longer to counter-act that. A piece of candy can set you back a day or two!

If you're working hard towards your goal, think about how "worth it" the temptation might be. I've yet to find a food that is worth more than the hours I've spent cooking healthy food and hours I've spent in the gym to get rid of not even 20 lbs.

If you are tempted because you think you "deserve" a treat - think again. You "deserve" to see your weight-loss progress downwards and not upwards. You "deserve" to be healthy. You "deserve" to treat yourself right. Eating against your plan is not treating yourself well at all.

There is always time later, after you've reached your goal, to indulge in the foods you miss. But today is not that time and tomorrow is not that time. Eat the foods that fill you up and forget about food when you're not hungry. Eat to live don't live to eat.

And - keep tracking. Be honest in your diary! :)