Pitfalls

Options
bean42
bean42 Posts: 8 Member
Sugar and fat are the enemies of the dukan diet. There are fatty and sugary food that are allowed such as salmon and tuna and up to 2% fat yoghurt, but Dr Dukan has explained that these are necessary both for well being and to enable people to stick to the diet.

The pitfalls I have noticed myself and other people making are addatives to ready made foods. You need to check the labels! Lots of things are added to readymade food to make it taste better and alot of these aren't allowed on the dukan diet.

Common enemies are:

Things ending in -OSE (i.e. Fructose, Sucrose, Lactose) whilst these are natural sugars any added sugar is not allowed. This is why dairy should be kept to a maximum of 1kg a day, it is relatively high in natural sugars. However that also makes it a good way to deal with the carb cravings.

Beware of fruit yoghurts, I know that in the UK basically none of the fruity ones are your friend.

Cornflour - this is a CARB

Pork - apart from ham. It's too fatty it's not allowed.
Lamb - ditto

Salt - there is lots of salt in ham, smoked salmon and prawns. This will increase your water retention and temporarity your weight.

General rules - when you look at labels check that it's under 5g of fat per 100g and less than 5g-7g of carbohydrates (as this allows for natural sugars)

Good luck!

E

Replies