Low BB vs High BB Squat

Options
When you train your squats, do you use high BB or low BB?

When you max your squat, again high BB or low BB?

Do you even front squat?

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I only use High BB squat, mainly because I don't have the range of motion in my shoulders to move the bar any lower. I have a wider stance as well, which is easier on my knees.

Now I don't front squat, but I use a Hack Squat machine.
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Come on everyone else, lets see some responses!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    For max squats I have to do low bar back squats
    My front squat is much weaker than the back because of poor balance and other issues, but i'm working on improving it.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    High generally, as it's just more comfortable.

I have done front squats before, but I don't include them as part of my regular training program. What are the benefits, if any, of training that way instead of or as well as back squats?
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Front squats hit the quads more than the hamstrings.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I'm in ur group, revitalizing it. I guess.

I was low bar squatting until yesterday when I felt like it was WAY harder to push back up with the bar low than with the bar high (and maybe I was feeling some arm strain too? I dunno I ws just struggling like crazy yesterday). But then I lost some back tightness (wasn't used to the position) and now I've got that slightly bruised feeling where the bar was. So, something to work on next time for me.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I squat the way Rippetoe says to...so low bar and with my arms up in sort of a W shape, if that makes sense

I have been toying with the high bar squat for a couple of reasons. One is that I want to go as low as possible (pretty low already) without the dreaded buttwink plaguing me and I read (on the internet) that low bar and ATG squats can be conducive to the butt waggle I can get towards the end of my sets. The other reason is that I may want to compete in powerlifting events and they do high bar squats/olympic style, right?

I haven't done front squats yet as I've only been seriously (non-NROLFW) lifting since October and I still feel like a brand-newbie. The Starting Strength book said something like don't do front squats until you are a back squat master (mistress?) and I'm not there yet, I don't think.
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I suppose there isn't much of a point in being in this group if I'm not posting.

I prefer low bar squat, it just feels more comfortable after developing my back more over the last 3 months.

Here is a bit of info on both.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRMiUtscrHw
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I suppose there isn't much of a point in being in this group if I'm not posting.

I prefer low bar squat, it just feels more comfortable after developing my back more over the last 3 months.

Here is a bit of info on both.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRMiUtscrHw

I agree. Now go post on my thread, I want more feedback.