Back-friendly Strength Training??

Options
MamaJilldo
MamaJilldo Posts: 63 Member
Does anybody do any lower lumbar-friendly strength training? I've never been able to do any (trust me, I've tried a lot of methods) because my back would go out. However, after I have the surgery and recovery, I'm ready to slowly get back into gaining some muscle- I lose weight so much faster if I gain muscle first. Anyone have a regimen they'd like to share?

Replies

• grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I have 3 herniated discs. My doctor has been telling me to do some weight bearing exercises. But whenever I pick up weights, I can feel the discs in my back starting to compress. That leads to spasm, and wipe-out for at least a week.

Has anyone found some weight lifting exercises that can be done in such a way that you are not compressing your spine?

What about lifting weights while lying down? Machines?
  • CurvyGirl14
    CurvyGirl14 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had low-back surgery almost a year ago as of next week. The only weight training I do is inner/outer thigh machine, bicep curl (low weight maybe 15 or just the machines resistance...and I do the fly machine which I make sure I keep a very straight posture for. I DO NOT bend over and lift anything.. I used to do arm curls over head should press (which is what made my disk herniate in the first place) I avoid anything regarding standing and weights unless it's 1-2 lbs which probably does nothing. What do you guys do? Do you think the resistance bands would hurt my back?