Push ups

Options
MorissaW
MorissaW Posts: 95 Member
I was involved in a bad car accident about 1.5 years ago. I hurt my shoulder badly (had to have surgery). I now have arthritus in that shoulder. I push through all the arm, back and shoulder moves on 30DS but I am having a major issue with the pushups!
I can't even do the modified version of them for more than 5 seconds. My pne shoulder SCREAMS in pain and starts shaking badly.
Last night I did wall push ups instead and that seems to be better.
I just tried them on the counter and was able to get through 30 seconds that way.
Do you think that is a good modification for 30DS or will it not work the muscles correctly?
Any other reccomendations? I don't want to stop for that 30 seconds and want to complete this!!!

Replies

• qnbeezzz
    qnbeezzz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That is a good question as to whether or not it is a good modification for push ups. I have trouble with both my wrists, so it has been a challenge for me as well. In the past I too have used a counter or a wall. In my opinion I think it is a good idea; however, be sure to not do anything that will make an injury worse! Try different hand placements. Moving them either closer together or farther apart will change up the level of difficulty. 15709761.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • hlw19
    hlw19 Posts: 29
    Options
    I'm no expert whatsoever but I wouldn't risk it! If using the wall isn't painful then you should continue doing them that way :)

Maybe planking? That puts a lot of pressure on the upper body also, but you will not have to lift yourself up and down as you do with the pushups.
  • nesstle
    Options
    the wall or counter sounds like a good idea, im sure jillian wouldnt want you to injure yourself more, just take it easy and do what feels righ,t if your body is screaming in pain, thats not going to be good for you. and just go hard on the rest.

I hate the push ups, its the worst thing for me, and i have no excuse :)

Keep it up, the more you do the other exercises, the more your muscles will get better and stonger.
  • MorissaW
    MorissaW Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    so for day 5 I decided to do wall push ups for the first 30 sends and then I did them on a chair for the 2nd 30 secs. I have a counter height table so my chairs are higher than average. I was able to push through the wall ones perfectly but the chair ones were quite challenging. I think I will stick with the chair ones since they are more challenging and I felt like it "burned" a little better. My shoulder feels fine today so I do not think I injured myself at all :)