Anyone else anemic here due to malabsorbtion of iron?

Options
I can't absorb the iron through food and blood test confirmed that the supplements I have been taking for a month are not working either. Is anyone out there anemic?? What do you do to get iron absorbtion?? I have heard beets are good. I am a pescetarian but I do eat eggs. I heard iron in the liquid form absorbs better. I would love to hear if anyone has experience with this. Thanks

Replies

• soeangel
    Options
    My doc recommended Vytron C. I was anemic when I first had my surgery (May 2008). I started out with 2 tabs now I take 1 a day and my iron levels are fine. Hope this helps!!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I will look into it thanks. This morning I just made a smoothie with a beet, orange, lime, carrot, apple, and spinach. It wasn't so bad tasting either. Hopefully taking my supplements doubled along with this mixture every morning will help.
  • soapboxermel
    soapboxermel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling with severe malabsorption issues for the past few years, coming to a head in the last 12 months.

I have had a difficult time with getting my iron and hemoglobin levels up despite my best efforts. Oral iron supplements haven't been working and only seem to constipate me. I eat red meat, eggs, dark greens, etc. and it doesn't make a dent. The anemia was severe enough that I just finished six weeks of Venofer infusions (expensive, time-consuming, and they made me feel sick).

I won't know how much it has reduced the anemia for a few weeks when I get my follow up blood work, but anecdotally I can say that I feel a lot better than I have in years. My heart is no longer racing at moderate activity or at rest, there is some color in my skin, and I have the energy to get up and move.

Whatever you need to do to get your iron levels up or to prevent severe anemia, please do! I didn't know how sick I was.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    yes thank you soapboxermel. I am borderline needing transfusions so I know how serious it is. I found the right iron supplement now. I am living in the country of Denmark. I will go in another 4 weeks to see if anything has improved. I really hope so. I hope you see an improvement too. I have a feeling that I have been living with this a long time. Looking forward to feeling more energy. Please update here when you find out your results.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    my supplements are 27mg and I triple them daily. I take 9 pills spread out daily. If this doesn't help with all my spinach, cinnamon, beet, eggs etc etc consumption, then I am at a loss.