Two marathons two weeks apart. Doable or is it crazy?

Options
I need your input, as I am facing a dilemma.

I am currently training for the Publix Georgia Marathon on March 18th. Last weekend, I had a long run of 16 miles and this week was a cut-back week. I ran only 9 miles. My training schedule calls for an 18-miler on Feb. 25th, a 20-miler on March 3rd, and then two weeks of tapering.

However, I am applying for a new job here in Istanbul, Turkey, and if it happens (I am being considered seriously for the position), I may not be able to travel to the States in March as I plan for the time being. As it turns out, there is a marathon in Antalya, Turkey on March 4th. It is only a 40-min. plane ride away and I have family in the city. So the logistics would work out. The course is almost totally flat, so that is attractive, but it is not IAAF-certified, so it would not be a Boston qualifier, something I am aiming for. Given this situation, if you were in my (running) shoes, what would you do?

1. Would you just run the marathon on March 4th and forget about the Georgia Marathon? Do you think I am even ready for this marathon, given that my last run was only 16 miles. I can do a 20-miler next week maybe and then taper?

2. Would you still focus on the March 18th Georgia Marathon and if you cannot make it, try to find another marathon in April or May to run?

3. Would you consider running both marathons, treating the first marathon as a training run for the second one and not running so hard?

I appreciate all your thoughts and any help you can give me.

Megan

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My $.02 - your best bet might be doing the first marathon as a 26 mile training run. Then you could taper back down for the next one. The big wildcard is how quickly you can recover.

BTW - if you get them both done, you'll be qualified for the Marathon Maniacs (I'm MM# 1477).

http://www.marathonmaniacs.com/
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    If you are looking to qualify for Boston, then you could run a marathon tomorrow and probably be okay, although you wouldn't get your best time. But I would say to work around your Boston-qualifying race. I wouldn't put much emphasis on a race that doesn't count.
  • goodstarbuck
    Options
    It's doable. I've signed up for two half-marathons one week apart, a week break, then a full marathon up in Cleveland.

I think it's mostly about gauging your body's conditioning level. You don't have to be some chiseled athlete and you don't have to be fast, but you do have to put in the practice time and you do have to have the force of will to do it.

Personally, I think you should go for it and kick some butt.
  • Daisy_Cutter
    Options
    My $.02 - your best bet might be doing the first marathon as a 26 mile training run. Then you could taper back down for the next one. The big wildcard is how quickly you can recover.

BTW - if you get them both done, you'll be qualified for the Marathon Maniacs (I'm MM# 1477).

http://www.marathonmaniacs.com/

I'm also a Marathon Maniac... but one of the original -- #161 here!
  • biobreak
    biobreak Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What did you end up doing? Hope it's going well!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Sorry..I just saw this. I actually when reading this...Was..You never gave us info. Whats your current training time. Whats your age. Is this your 1st marthon..2nd..flat hilly? Whats your 1/2 times like? You want to BQ..whats the time you need? if you answer any of the above is that close to that time? so much was left out..

I would run both. I dont race though...
  • shmiracles
    shmiracles Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi Megan, I'm really curious what you decided, how it went, and if you made your Boston time!

i'm a slow runner, but i'm trying to pass the marathonmaniacs test too!
    i try very hard to keep running enjoyable and not get too hard on myself to constantly make a PR. i have two trail marathons coming up and the fear of failing is currently very motivating haha! even if i am just treating them like training runs, i don't wanna fail.

I've done 2 marathons already. they were 6 weeks apart and i do agree with coronalime's summary, to run both but don't race both.

i guess my vote would have been to probably aim for the GA Marathon since Boston was an inspiring goal for you, and treat the other as a fun run.

09/08/12 - Odyssey Trail Running Rampage Marathon - Douthat State Park, VA
    10/13/12 - Medoc Trail Marathon - Hollister, NC
    11/10/12 - Richmond Marathon - Richmond, VA
    11/24/12 - Northern Central Rail Trail Marathon - Sparks Glencoe, MD