Good for weight loss?

Options
Allegi32
Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
I just bought this book and I'm really excited because I used to be very big into lifting, and I lifted heavy. I also did very little cardio, and I had a very fit, very low BF% body. Many years later, I've put on 70+ pounds and need to lose it. I love lifting, and I lift heavy and build muscle easily.

I know that muscle burns more calories, overall, etc. etc., but is this program enough to help me get rid of so much weight, or is this better for people who are closer to goal?

TIA!

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    There's not a lot of info out there about that question. It's one I would dearly love to know myself! I still have around 90 pounds to lose and am terrified of gaining or maintaining while doing this. I'm giving it four weeks and will then reevaluate.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Lou discusses this in the book. You can lose weight, but size and body fat percentage are better indicators with a lifting program.

If you are going to eat at a deficit, he suggests it be a small one, and to figure in eating more on lifting days (and upping your protein to around a gram per pound of lean body mass). You lose both fat and muscle in a deficit, but lifting helps preserve lean muscle. And there's the added benefit of after-burn! I don't think the weight drops quickly, but it does drop, and you end up strong and firm instead of weak and flabby.

I'm seeing fantastic changes in my body composition since I started lifting. I'm near weight goal and eating at a surplus to build muscle. I've gained like 2 pounds in 2 months, eating 300 calories over maintenance daily. I plan to cut back to 200 below maintenance in the spring to drop some body fat and reveal the muscles I've been working so hard for.

No need to wait. Welcome to NROLW!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Lou discusses this in the book. You can lose weight, but size and body fat percentage are better indicators with a lifting program.

Yes but the impression I get from the book and from most of the women who have done this program is that the women don't have as much weight to lose. For those of us who are obese weight loss is just as important as body composition. It's really hard to find info on obese women doing this program.
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I had a good amount o lose when I started lifting and instill lost weight. Sure it's a little slower but add in a little cardio anitnwill work great. Plus the scale sucks, it's stressful! I love the body changes I'm seeing though.

Give it a shot, see what happens. :) and since you like weight lifting it will make it easier to stay motivated. Always a plus :D
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of with you. I'm not close to a goal size/weight yet and I feel like when you have such a significant amount of weight to lose, there is no way that the fat shouldn't come off. I, like an above poster said, am giving it 4 week and reevaluating!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is controlled my calorie deficit not your training. He recommends a small one, which is a good idea anyway, but you could go slightly bigger than he suggest. Maybe set your MFP goals to a half pound or a pound a week (500-1000 calorie deficit).