Family Weigh Loss Challenge

Options
Read alot today about Childhood Obesity and all the alarms went off iin my head. I have been trying to have the family eat healthy but I tend to give into their requests. We are going to have one family cheat meal a week.
Started a Family Weigh Loss Challenge(includes everyone but 3yr old but she will eat whatever mommy does):
Me: lose 22 lbs by April 2012
Hubby lose 15 lbs by May 2012
Son(11) - lose 18lbs by June 2012
Son(6) - lose 30lbs by Aug 2012

Any support or help is appreciated. My youngest son is very tall but he is 38lbs overweight based on the Childhood Obesity sight for his height. Do you think I am making his goal to high. I am soo worried about him and now with the summer coming he can easily shed some extra weigh. I grew up as an overweight child and I hate to see my son go through it. My 11 yr old is a little over but he is tall as well and hides it well. My 6yr old plays sport year round, he just struggle with eating.
Trying to make time for family exercise and outdoor fun to help. This might be my biggest challenge to date.

Replies

• tenquilts
    Options
    I'd recommend you talk to your family doctor about this one, or at least the school nurse.

My stepdaughter has also had some weight issues, but we didn't want her to feel self-conscious about her body image. However, when the doctor returned alarmingly high cholesterol results, we focused on healthier eating and exercise, and the weight began coming off as a result.

Again, if you're worried about appropriate goals (and how will he feel if doesn't meet them?) I'd advise talking to an expert rather than internet advice, and crafting health goals that are focused on healthy lifestyles than either numbers on a scale or images in a mirror.

One book we bought to help with the kids' eating habits (which is hard since my 11-year-old son is scrawny and eats anything and everything, my 13-year-old stepdaughter goes on strange diet fads even though she is pretty healthy and fit, and my 9-year-old stepdaughter has the cholesterol issue and a fear of exercise due to childhood asthma) is "Eat This Not That For Kids." It walks you through smarter choices in the kids meals realm when dining out, and also in the grocery store. It's a great way (with lots of pictures) to help kids figure out what healthier choices are and why. It makes the kids feel like they have power over their own choices.
  • footballmom2000
    footballmom2000 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the suggestion. I am definately going to check out that book. Our doctor told us to try and get him to drink more water before meals and it is a constant struggle. The sad part is he has been tested for thyroid, cholestrol and diabetes. All tests came back negative. I am at the point where I think I need to install a lock on my frig -- I have hid the healthy snacks since he eats in excess even with healthy snacks.
  • tenquilts
    Options
    The "Eat This Not That For Kids" book - which my son and I read pretty thoroughly this past weekend - says that there's no reason for kids to be drinking anything but water and milk. It's really an eye-opening resource, including tidbits like the fact that portion sizes have really grown in the last few decades, and that high fructose corn syrup is being added to nearly everything these days to appeal to sweeter palates. My 11-year-old read through it this weekend and when I asked where he wanted to eat lunch while we were out he chose Subway "because it was the only place in the book that was rated an A." He's naturally a pretty healthy eater but I always think it's good to be informed about what you're consuming, child or adult.