Major setback - feeling so down

Options
AllisonMart
AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
I need to vent a bit and I thought if I posted it here, people might understand.

I have a bulging disc that causes sciatica throughout my left leg, and it's extremely painful. I started MFP in November in the hopes of taking off some weight, getting regular exercise, and lessening the pain. It's worked great! I've lost 20 pounds, I felt wonderful, and the leg pain was almost gone with the help of only 2 Aleeve a day.

Then, I got the flu. And I don't mean "a bad cold", I mean the FLU. The kind that killed millions of people after WWI. I have never been so sick in my life. Obviously, I couldn't exercise when I couldn't even get out of bed. Two weeks later I'm mostly recovered and at least able to move around, but the sciatica pain is SO BAD. I'm taking a lot of prescription pain medication (and I hate taking drugs!) but it's still very painful. I went to the gym today to try to walk and stretch it out a bit, and it was terrible. I could walk on the treadmill 5 minutes at a time at 2.0mph. I stopped after 5 minutes and stretched, then did another 5 minutes. After those 10 minutes my legs were so shaky I wasn't sure I could make it to the car. To be fair, it's better than when I tried the gym the week before and could only walk about 2 minutes at 1.3mph, but still.

It's SO FRUSTRATING to be in so much pain when I've been working so hard for months. Three weeks ago I was running on the treadmill without pain and now I can barely limp along. It's so frustrating that months of hard work has been undone in just 2 weeks, and I'm right back to where I was in October. I lost so much in such a short time, and am in a lot of pain on top of it.

I know there isn't anything I can do but keep walking and keep trying, but it's so disappointing to have slipped so far in such a short time. It makes me want to just give up. I know I can't do that and nothing will change if I do, but I still just want to curl up on the couch and cry.