Fiber supplements??

Options
Eating low carb now for 5 weeks has played a hard role on my body. I know I am not eating enough fiber and I think I need to start taking a fiber supplement. Any recommendations???

Replies

• Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm taking benefiber...seems to work ok...takes a while to kick in so to speak...drink lots of water!
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I can honestly help you in this department after years of struggling. Magnesium first and foremost. One pill a day. HUGE difference. For fiber, I use cascara sagrada (all natural) and recently have been baking with coconut flour which is almost 60% indigestible fiber (the kind that helps move things along but doesn't add carbs). I have been super happy with this combination.
  • Kattaway
    Options
    I know it's not my water intake, I don't always log it but i drink THREE 32 oz bottles daily so I know I am getting adequate water intake. I am just not getting enough fiber, but I am going to start taking a supplement. I stay busy and cooking with any special items I don't have or can't find is something I won't stick it and I can just add a supplement to my daily vitamin. This problem started ever since adding a multi vitamin W/iron and it always gets me in this situation so adding a supplement will hopefully help!
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts do it for me! Also flaxmeal.

EDIT: do be careful supplementing with iron. You're right that it can cause constipation, but there are other potential side-effects too if you have too much. As a general rule getting it from food would be better, bott for absorption and your health!
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    When I first started I wasn't getting enough fiber from my food, BUT if you are following the plan correctly and getting all of our foundation veggie servings in each day, you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Avacados help you get your fiber in.
    I also drink low carb shakes that help me get my fiber in bodybyvi.com/alishagates
    Muffin in a minute
    Or Just flax meal sprinkled on salad, mixed in meatloaf, or meatballs, or in a shake.
    AND eating an atkins bar will help you get in your fiber.
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I can eat salads every day but unless I take my magnesium nothing moves. Of course this isn't everyone's issue but if you are doing what you are supposed to be doing - eating lots of veggies, fruits, drinking water, exercising - and nothing is happening then the problem may be lack of magnesium. I also get cramps in my legs and toes when I don't take it. And a low-carb diet does not help the situation so I eat as many veggies as I can but also supplement with the pill.