Restaurants - With and Without GF Menu Items

Options
I thought this might be a nice thread to have: experiences with restaurants and whether they have GF options or not.

I did a search and didn't find a similar thread, but my apologies if this is a duplicate.

I'll start.

Portillo's does NOT have a gluten-free menu nor, apparently, any GF items. I called the one in Buffalo Grove, IL, hoping to discuss some ingredients, and make my own GF meal. The manager simply passed along the message (through the girl who answered the phone) that they "don't have any gluten free items." Boo.

Replies

• mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    There are only a few restaurants I eat at.

Chili's - They have an allergy menu, and neither my son nor I have gotten sick.
    Cracker Barrel, same deal.
    Wendy's and Burger King, not all... if having fries, be sure to ask if their fryer is dedicated to just fries.
    Mark Allen's - Peru, IL. Was a local restaurant for us, but we moved to MN ;). Just putting it out there if anyone is near!! lol
  • JanLeb
    JanLeb Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I am in Canada, so far for me I have found a few places I can go.

Montana's Steakhouse has an allergy list as well and are very good with gluten free options.
    Boston Pizza offers a gluten free pizza - which is pretty good
    I also have eaten at Wendy's, I stick to a plain baked potato and chili
    I have also been to Swiss Chalet and told them I am gluten intolerant. I am able to have the quarter chicken, no dipping sauce with either salad, veggies or baked potato.

We also have a couple local places that offer a good GF menu. Since I have gone GF I find we don't eat out as much as we once did, not as much control over what I am getting on my plate.
  • katy4399
    katy4399 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Here in Michigan we can eat at:
    Outback
    Red Robins (They even have GF bun!)
    PF Changs
    The Melting Pot
    Chipotle
    Logans

I'm sure their are more, I just can't remember!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I didn't know RR has gf bun - good to know!

Olive Garden has GF options including pasta
    Also Johnny Carino's - however it is hard to find meatless, gf at Johnny Carino's.

In Grand Rapids Michigan the Gilmore Collection restaurants feature several GF items and there are other local restaurants with GF options too (as well as a lot of locally sourced well-raised meats!)
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm in Mass. The chains mentioned above plus a local chain called The 99 have gluten free menus. I have only found one non-chain place that would do gluten free and that was a vegan place. I don't eat out much any more. *sigh*
  • katy4399
    katy4399 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am in Cedar Springs (About 20 miles north of GR). Small world! Red Robins fries are even GF :)

I didn't know RR has gf bun - good to know!

Olive Garden has GF options including pasta
    Also Johnny Carino's - however it is hard to find meatless, gf at Johnny Carino's.

In Grand Rapids Michigan the Gilmore Collection restaurants feature several GF items and there are other local restaurants with GF options too (as well as a lot of locally sourced well-raised meats!)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    In Western Canada, Chianti's has gf bread and pasta, and I get the spaghetti squash salad, sans chicken, with oil and vingear dressing.
    I am in Canada, so far for me I have found a few places I can go.

Montana's Steakhouse has an allergy list as well and are very good with gluten free options.
    Boston Pizza offers a gluten free pizza - which is pretty good
    I also have eaten at Wendy's, I stick to a plain baked potato and chili
    I have also been to Swiss Chalet and told them I am gluten intolerant. I am able to have the quarter chicken, no dipping sauce with either salad, veggies or baked potato.

We also have a couple local places that offer a good GF menu. Since I have gone GF I find we don't eat out as much as we once did, not as much control over what I am getting on my plate.
  • Balletsax
    Balletsax Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Jason's Deli has a gluten free menu too!

Aww I miss the 99 in Mass and CT!
  • burlyn12
    Options
    Grand Rapids, MI: Winchester, The Electric Cheeta, Marie Catribs are my favorites, also Olive garden has a few gluten free pasta dishes. :)
  • ljm0521
    ljm0521 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Five guys
    Uno's has a gf pizza
    Chick Fil A
    Chipotle
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Skinny_Mocha Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This site may be helpful, too: http://gfrestaurants.com/
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Skinny_Mocha Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Walker Bros. The Original Pancake House - several locations in Illinois, but rumored to also be in Buffalo, New York.

They not only have DELICIOUS gluten-free pancakes, but they also provide special menus (including substitute suggestions) for people with various allergies like soy, dairy, egg, gluten, nuts, and so on.

What a great experience!
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i'm glad to hear all these Chicago suggestions; I'll be back there this weekend.

I just got this list from our local GF bakery:

Mitchell's Fish Market
    Outback Steakhouse
    California Pizza Kitchen
    PF Chang's
    Uno's
    Eat n Park
    The Olive Garden
    Loving Hut
    Applebees
    Red Robin
    Moe's Mexican Grill
    Aladdin's
    Stone Pepper Grill
    Chipotle
    5 Guys Burgers
    Lone Star
    Bucca de Beppo
    Capital Grill

There is also a list of Pittsburgh-local places that sell GF items/menus.
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    My bff is a manager at Olive Garden and all the Darden (parent company of OG) restaurants have GF menus. This includes OG, Red Lobster and Longhorn. They are also VERY careful when you ask for the GF menu. The ticket comes up in the kitchen for one person and looks like a party of 15. There are several places on the ticket that have in big red letters "GLUTEN FREE" They know that they have to use new bowls and utensils and they're very strict about it.

Also, every time I've been to Red Robin and ask for the GF menu they bring it over and the manager usually comes to the table and asks who the GF person is and watches my order through the kitchen. I don't know about all of them but mine has a dedicated fryer for the fries too. And in case yours doesn't know it ask for the fries without the seasoned salt that they have. The last time I went the server told me that she'd make sure the fries didn't have the seasoning because that's a problem. She explained that some of the GF customers had complained of getting sick after eating off the GF menu and that they had traced it back to the salt.

I love Five Guys and Chipotle too!

Applebee's is a big no-no! Went there once and ordered from the GF menu. We got chips and salsa (they were on the gf menu) and got to the bottom and found a big piece of breading. I didn't know they fried the chips there. I got home and was sicker than a dog for 3 days. I discovered that their "gf menu" only includes items that are naturally gf. Their prep and seasonings aren't safe! I haven't been back and I'm sad cause I love Applebees.

If I think of any others I'll be back! :)
  • Meaghan685
    Meaghan685 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Here in Michigan we can eat at:
    Outback
    Red Robins (They even have GF bun!)
    PF Changs
    The Melting Pot
    Chipotle
    Logans

I'm sure their are more, I just can't remember!

Chicago Area also has the option of Outback, Red Robin, PF Chang'a (a personal fave), Chiptle and the pizza place Aurelio's, which as lots of Illinois locations as well as Las Vegas, a place in Florida and a couple of places.

Five Guys Burgers and Fries french fries are gluten free as they don't fry anything at all in the restaurant except potatoes. Not sure about the burgers or dogs since I don't eat beef or pork.
  • mamabear272
    Options
    The only thing fried at 5 Guys is potatoes and they don't put the buns on the grill. At least that's the case with the one that I go to. I know that places sometimes do things differently from area to area.
  • dayatatime1
    dayatatime1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The best chain restaurants I have come across with understanding and accommodating GF are PF Chang's, Outback, and Maggiano's. At Maggiano's, the chef will even come out and talk to you about what your options are and can make things special for you if you'd like.

Some other good ones are Chili's, Joe's Crab Shack, Chipotle, Qdoba, Jimmy John's, and Rainforest Cafe. I have also ordered from Culver's and been ok.

I haven't tried Olive Garden because I've heard bad things about their GF pasta. Does anyone know if this is still the case or have you had good experiences there?
  • mamabear272
    Options
    I've never had OG's gf pasta. I usually get the mixed grill but my friend says it's better than it used to be. She said it used to be basically a TV dinner and now they have actual gf pasta that they cook there and they know the protocol of having to use new pans, utensils, etc.

I also had a great experience in Vegas when I went last month. We went to Toby Keith's I Love This Bar and Grill and the chef came out and talked to me and he was pretty knowledgeable about gluten. He told me what I could and couldn't have and made sure that everything was right. When the waitress brought the bread she put it on the other side of the table and said something about having the bread while we wait and then looks and me and goes "but not you." LOL And when the food came out she knew that mine was different. And BTW, they have a great seasoning that they use on almost everything and it's delicious! It was for sale at the store next to the restaurant and we got some. Only $5 for 7oz. I looked and it's available on Toby Keith's website. I highly recommend it and it's gf! :happy:
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic!

UNO Chicago Bar and Grill has the gluten free pizza and a whole gluten free menu. The manager even brings your food out separately.

I plan on trying the GF Red Robin bun tonight. I LOVE RED ROBIN!! :D
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Did you know the mixed grill is only GF if you order it without demi-glace?
    I've never had OG's gf pasta. I usually get the mixed grill but my friend says it's better than it used to be. She said it used to be basically a TV dinner and now they have actual gf pasta that they cook there and they know the protocol of having to use new pans, utensils, etc.