Do you warmup?

Options
I looked through the past threads (except for individual Stage threads), and didn't see any info on this...

Do you warmup as extensively as the book suggests? I don't and it makes me feel so guilty! I have about a 3 minute walk from the bus to the gym, up a flight of stairs, then I start lifting. After lifting, I'll stretch, do 20-60 minutes of cardio, stretch then leave. Do you guys do the practice reps like he advises?

Replies

• Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I do an abbreviated version of this:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/01/09/warm-up/

Seems to do the trick!!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I do the warm-up from the Supreme 90 Day program. It takes about 5 minutes, and is a solid, full-body warm-up.

And I do warm-up sets for my first lift with a % of my working weight, fewer reps.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I do a warm up- the same as my workout with litter weights.
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Boo! I was hoping everyone was lazy like me and skipped the warmup.

Thanks for that nerdfitness link. His warmup seems pretty cardio-based, but the idea of dynamic stretching is a lot more familiar to me.

Maybe I'll try a 30 Day Shred style warmup, but try holding light dummbells through it.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that nerdfitness link. His warmup seems pretty cardio-based, but the idea of dynamic stretching is a lot more familiar to me.

I skip the skipping, but do the jumping jacks, If i get my heart going first, it stays pretty high in the workout!
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I get on the treadmill or elliptical for 10 minutes. I do some dynamic stretches but not a lot
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have the P90X DVD's so I do the warmup for the Plyometrics workout. It's about 10 minutes long and has you run in place, do lunges (no weight), squats (no weight) a few other full body movements and stretching. I like it because I don't have to think since I'm just following him. I also like that several of the moves I'll be doing with weights are done in the warmup so my body feels ready. I also do a little extra on the squats moves since I'm super tight through the hip flexors and need the extra loosening. I am more random with my post workout stretching but I have found if I don't do it I end up stiff and sore.
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    I do 3-6 minutes on the rowing machine (depending on the day and if I had to walk to get to the gym or if I took the bus), then I do the semi-specific warmup moves outlined in the book and two warmup sets.
    So far that has been working well for me :)
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    The rowing machine is a good idea! I'm usually okay with getting my legs warmed up, but I've been doing lots of flailing to warm up my arms. Have you seen a muppet dance? Sorta like that. It's hard in a crowded gym.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I always do a general warm-up and the practice sets. In other words, I follow the book exactly as laid out. I don't want to risk injury.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I typically do a 10 minute jog on the treadmill and then stretch a bit. Im definitely a slacker when it comes to the warm up...
  • aripak
    aripak Posts: 33
    Options
    I do 5-10 min treadmill fast walk and then the warm-up suggested in the book. Sometimes I even do a little foam rolling before too. I've learned that you can make muscle imbalances/weaknesses worse by not doing a proper functional warm-up.

I've been pain free for the first time ever while doing a consistent strength workout! It can get boring and time consuming but the last thing I want to do is cause more lengthening/weakness in a muscle that is being pulled by a shortened/tight/overused muscle. Everything is connected!
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I'm bad and do not warm up. I've been wondering about this too lately. However, I do walk to the gym, which takes me about 15 minutes up and down hills.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I run a mile, always a mile, only a mile, at whatever pace I feel like it.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I have a half an hour walk to to the gym so no. The walk is my warm up.