Resting metabolic rate

Options
While it is true that the only way to lose weight is to expend more calories than you eat for those of us who have thyroid issues it's not that simple.

The deck is stacked against us as the thyroid is the gas pedal of the metabolism and when yours doesn't work the way someone in the general population does it makes it just that much harder.

After reading posts on MFP about heart rate monitors I finally invested in one and started working out and keeping track of calories burned. People post all the time about how the exercise estimates on MFP are too high and those on exercise equipment not reliable.

I found that my workout which I estimated at about a 500 calorie burn (using my elliptical, not MFP higher est) was actually 25% lower than I thought!

I have been eating back my exercise calories (some days all if I am hungry, other days I leave the deficit).

The good news is that I have lost weight much to my surprise because I have been eating much more than I should have because my exercise calories were so off.

I really would like to establish by having a test to know what my individual resting metabolic rate is as a starting point to figuring out the optimum ratio of calories to exercise to keep me in the zone. Will be researching. Has anyone had this test done? Can you share information about the cost, etc?

Thanks,
Donna

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    My doctor has the machine that measures your metabolic rate through measuring the oxygen in your breath. One of the more accurate ways of getting measured, as it is based on how you use oxygen. My BMR is lower than most calculators give me, which is expected since I'm hypothyroid. But knowing it is important! I think it cost me $30 to have it done. I can't remember exactly.
    I know my burn is lower than any calculator will give me, and I have my heart rate monitor on it's way! It's the only way I'll ever know my true exercise calories!
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I had it done at my gym. My RMR is only something like 1050 calories... I don't even meet the 1200 a day standard!! They do a combo of test - RMR, and they figure out your heart rate zones so that you can supposedly tell if you are burning fat or sugar based on HR.
    I think the combo of test is $99 at Lifetime Fitness -- but most fitness centers offer something like it.

I did not realize that doctors can do it too!! Good to know.
  • seaglass2
    Options
    Terri I have a feeling I have a lower than average (as compared to the general public) resting metabolic rate.

It really changes things for us. It is really hard for me to stay in the 1200 calorie range because I am hungry. If I exercise 45-60 minutes per day and eat 1200 calories, I will not lose weight. I have proved that to myself over and over again. My metabolism shuts itself right down.

I am not currently working so I can spend a lot of time working out to be able to increase my daily calories but when I go back to work that is not going to be feasible.

I think knowing how much my RMR and how much I burn when I do workout along with weighing and measuring my food and knowing my both my caloric intake/output will help me better discover how to keep the weight loss going.
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    My doctor has the machine that measures your metabolic rate through measuring the oxygen in your breath. One of the more accurate ways of getting measured, as it is based on how you use oxygen. My BMR is lower than most calculators give me, which is expected since I'm hypothyroid. But knowing it is important! I think it cost me $30 to have it done. I can't remember exactly.
    I know my burn is lower than any calculator will give me, and I have my heart rate monitor on it's way! It's the only way I'll ever know my true exercise calories!

What Brand of HR monitor did you purchase and you to Seaglass2? Are the points that rest on your skin Stainless steel or??????? I'm allergic to nickel.:grumble: It's even hard to wear a wrist watch without breaking out.The little time change button on the side does it. Thanks for the info.:flowerforyou:

Bump
  • seaglass2
    Options
    Ginnylee I bought a Polar FT4. There is no stainless steel touching your skin on the band you put around your heart it's kind of like a bra strap.

The watch is plastic but the back of it is stainless steel and the buttons but I don't think you have to wear the watch while working out. Just have it near you to start and stop the workout.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT40F coming. Don't know about the contacts or the watch itself yet. Thankfully I don't have problems with most metals (only gold, lol).
    My BF has a Polar F7, and I bought him a nicer band, it has no metal contacts on the skin at all. But the watch does have a metal back. But it only needs to be close by to receive the signal, not actually on the wrist. You can even put it in your pocket while you work out.
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT40F coming. Don't know about the contacts or the watch itself yet. Thankfully I don't have problems with most metals (only gold, lol).
    My BF has a Polar F7, and I bought him a nicer band, it has no metal contacts on the skin at all. But the watch does have a metal back. But it only needs to be close by to receive the signal, not actually on the wrist. You can even put it in your pocket while you work out.

Thanks lizard053 and Seagrass2. I am going to see about getting one. I really want to see how many calories I'm really burning.
    Ginny
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Terri I have a feeling I have a lower than average (as compared to the general public) resting metabolic rate.

It really changes things for us. It is really hard for me to stay in the 1200 calorie range because I am hungry. If I exercise 45-60 minutes per day and eat 1200 calories, I will not lose weight. I have proved that to myself over and over again. My metabolism shuts itself right down.

I am not currently working so I can spend a lot of time working out to be able to increase my daily calories but when I go back to work that is not going to be feasible.

I think knowing how much my RMR and how much I burn when I do workout along with weighing and measuring my food and knowing my both my caloric intake/output will help me better discover how to keep the weight loss going.

Donna, I am having a strange issue where I have ZERO hunger. Having a hard time hitting the 1200 calories. I don't know if it's permanent or just a phase, but I am actually forcing myself to eat. I start back with my personal trainer today, so we'll see if he can get my appetite going again. Or maybe I've deprived myself of so many foods that my body gave up being hungry!!
  • seaglass2
    Options
    Donna, I am having a strange issue where I have ZERO hunger. Having a hard time hitting the 1200 calories. I don't know if it's permanent or just a phase, but I am actually forcing myself to eat. I start back with my personal trainer today, so we'll see if he can get my appetite going again. Or maybe I've deprived myself of so many foods that my body gave up being hungry!!

Terri
    When I am at high levels of stress I cannot eat. When I am at normal levels of stress all I want to do is eat.

I know you are dealing with a lot of food allergy/intolerance issues. Maybe your body does need some treats. Have you checked out any of the gluten free blogs (or vegan) and baked yourself a nice treat? Maybe you do need to indulge??

At 1200 calories a day, with no appetite, a person without a thyroid issue would have the weight falling off of them. If you don't mind my asking, what are you doing for exercise and how many days?

Donna