Thinking about starting this program...

Options
ANeWcRe8N
ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
Besides buying the book, is there any equipment I am going to need? Certain weights? Also I still have about 30-40 lbs to lose.. would this program be good for me at this weight or do I have to wait til I'm closer to goal weight?? Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Welcome! And congrats on your progress so far!

If you've never lifted before, you can take advantage of "newbie gains"...new lifters can, for a while, lose fat while gaining muscle. After the effect wears off, you are still using strength training to preserve lean muscle as you continue to lose fat (with a very modest deficit, of course!)

You may lose a little slower, but the end result is firm, fabulous muscle, rather than not-so-firm "skinny-fat". And you really CANNOT get bulky. Women just don't have the hormones for it!

We don't have a decent gym where I live, but I was lucky enough to find a used weight set for insanely cheap, out of a local trading paper. Lots of ladies are lifting at home; there are lots of discussions on ways around a lack of certain equipment. You will need at least a selection of dumbells (5# to probably 20 or 25#), an olympic bar, and weight plates to put on it, and maybe a swiss ball.

It is totally worth the investment, if you ask me. I'm one workout away from finishing stage 3. I feel better than I ever have in my life! You won't regret it.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the response. I am not so much new to weights.. well I don't really lift "heavy" lol but I guess what they call barbie weights. 5's and 8's (thats all I have at the moment) but I want to start lifting heavier and get that nice muscular look someday. I keep hearing about this book and program on the forums and am interested. I was looking for a way around the gym because I work out at home. Can't really afford a gym membership plus I have no sitter so at home is convenient for me :) Thanks again for all the info. Have a great night :)
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I think this book would be very hard to do without a gym. You would just about have to do modifications of some of the exercises.