calorie question

Options
From what I see, most of us are not following the meal plan as JIllian asks..... (hey, at least we're doing the work, right?! :) ) but I'm trying to substitute her meal plan with my own idea of restricting my calories, eliminating processed carbs/foods, etc. In the kickstart, from what I've gathered, you're eating about 1000 cals a day and burning around 450 (or at least Workout 1 and cardio 1 burned that many for me), so you have a net caloric intake of 550 calories. Is it safe, reasonable for me to do that on my own? As in, I'll restrict my cals to 1000 for kickstart then 1200 for the rest of the 90 days and workout as she has stated? Does this make sense to anyone? I just feel like that's not enough cals for me to build muscle and trim down. I don't know... I usually try to eat "healthy" and stay under my 1350 cals + workout cals which range depending on how bad I've eaten that day or plan to eat.... advice?? What are your cals gonna be?

Replies

• LPinTheD
    LPinTheD Posts: 129
    Options
    I've been following the priniciples of diet that she outlines in her book "Master Your Metabolism", and the weight has been falling off of me. So while I won't be following the meal plan per se', I will be sticking to what she's taught me in that book. It works!
  • lalfaro01
    lalfaro01 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was worried about the calorie intake too. My heart rate monitor might be messing up but it says I burned around 800 calories yesterday with Workout 1 and Cardio 1 and I only ate about 900 calories, I think. So we'll see.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I don't even have my stuff yet. LOL. But if it's very low cal, I know I won't do that. I eat about 1500-1600 per day. Almost always. I believe that's a healthy amount for me. I am looking forward to checking out the recipes though :D

I'm not surprised if she does recommend really low cal because all of the success stories on the website are people who lost between 30-60 lbs in 3 months! That would be nearly impossible to do with 30-60 minutes of exercise unless calories were really low. I typically lose 15-20 lbs in 3 months and that's what I'm hoping for when I start Body Revolution! ;)
  • roander
    roander Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I picked up the Master Your Metabolism book at the library yesterday. The diet plan is not solely about restricting your calories. Certain foods interact with your metabolism / hormones in different ways. The combination of foods in the meal plan is set up to optimize weight loss - eating clean/healthy foods at certain intervals during the day.

I eat pretty healthy and figured I could just continue counting my calories, but now I get it. I may not want everything in her meal plan, but I think I will try it.
  • snlperdue93
    snlperdue93 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I just got my kit in today and can't wait to get started. After reading her master your metabolism book, I try to eat the right things. I might follow her diet for the dinners/snacks, but I am never hungry in the mornings or at lunch, so I think I will stick with my shakes.

Is anyone eating their exercise calories back? My OB, whom I am working with to lose weight, told me not to eat my exercise calories and just eat 1200 per day. Just curious what ya'll are doing.
  • theredcliche
    theredcliche Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I just got my kit in today and can't wait to get started. After reading her master your metabolism book, I try to eat the right things. I might follow her diet for the dinners/snacks, but I am never hungry in the mornings or at lunch, so I think I will stick with my shakes.

Is anyone eating their exercise calories back? My OB, whom I am working with to lose weight, told me not to eat my exercise calories and just eat 1200 per day. Just curious what ya'll are doing.

i just eat 1000-1200 cals per day. yesterday my net was like 850 or something. i figure if the meal plan keeps you around 1000 and then you are working out, she wouldn't tell you to eat your exercise cals either.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options

I pretty much always eat around 1500-1600 and that's my plan for this program as well.
  • BestToBeMe
    Options
    Hi there,
    Question: I ordered my JM Body Revolution yesterday and excited. Should I get the Master Metabolism book? I really want to learn about how food interact with my body. I'm 38 and after having my two kids, my metabolism is non existent. You mentioned her that your weight melted off. What are some of the major points of this book? Thanks so much!!
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    As the world's pickiest eater, I will not be following the meal plan. I also am not going to cut calories that low. I'm going to continue with the cal MFP gives me and eat back exercise cals. I get too hungry and go bananas otherwise! LOL!
  • lalfaro01
    lalfaro01 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've been trying to go that low too but end up getting really hungry and near binging point. We'll see, though. Maybe after tweaking it a little everyday I'll be able to do it.
  • theredcliche
    Options
    so after eating 1100 calories for the kickstart week, i started thinking, "am i ever going to get to eat more?!"... i've been eating salads like crazy (Avoiding raw cruciferous veggies though)..... anyway, i was reading the kickstart book and then i added up the highest calorie meal for each meal (breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner)... in both the kickstart and 90 day meal plan, the highest is 1300... i feel like i've been depriving myself more than jillian would like, so i'm gonna kick up my cals to 1200 a day. i don't wanna go into starvation mode... and i don't have much weight to lose.. i just want to tone up and build muscle and i can't do that without enough cals... what do you guys think?
  • theredcliche
    Options
    Yeah, I've been trying to go that low too but end up getting really hungry and near binging point. We'll see, though. Maybe after tweaking it a little everyday I'll be able to do it.

oh and i have been hungry... but now that i'm on this program, i really wonder HOW many calories a day i was eating before... i can't imagine that it was any less than 1700-1800... no wonder i couldn't lose those 5 lbs!
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

I was just curious as to what kind of shakes do you drink in the morning, I don't really like eating early either?
  • myeatman
    myeatman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been following the meal plan to a T. I've noticed that my cravings are literally non-existent. I was a huge carb/bread/diet coke addict and I haven't had any of those things for 1 month and I don't miss it! I feel so much better.