Dairy- yay or nay?

Options
AiryM
AiryM Posts: 51 Member
I'm starting the primal lifestyle on Thursday, after an Ash Wednesday fast.

I know a lot of people totally shun dairy and some can be on the fence about it.

My question is: do you still eat dairy? Or no. And if you do, what type of dairy do u partake?

I'm thinking that I would still like some in my diet. I might go more towards kefir or greek yogurt.

Thanks in advance. =)

Replies

• GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm a no dairy person myself. I highly recommend doing 30 days dairy free when you start your Primal lifestyle. After that point, try some dairy and see if you notice any differences.

I was super hesitant to give up dairy. I cut it for the 30 days. About 2 months after being Primal, I had some full fat cheese again. It didn't taste as good as I remember it, and almost immediately afterwards made my stomach upset. Now I notice if I let dairy sneak in, I break out with acne (normally I only get acne for 2-3 days around that time of month) and I get crazy sinus congestion.

So I think it's worth it to try cutting it out, and then re-introducing it later to see if it bothers you. If it doesn't bother you, then have at it! But you won't really know if it does or not until you try without it for awhile.

Good luck!
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Try going without for just a few days to see how you feel. I noticed I had more energy without dairy. Since that is the only difference, I wouldn't have known it unless I eliminated it for awhile.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing dairy for the moment. I do think it is worthwhile to give it up for 30 days or so to see how you feel. I was going to add dairy back in after my paleo challenge ended but the challenge is over and I have no desire to add dairy back in yet.
  • kcmg0730
    Options
    I do a bit of dairy; greek yogurt, feta cheese (unpasteurised) and butter, but that's it, and only in small amounts (I did have a bit of mild cheddar the first week as I changed my diet, as well). Dairy was something I thought I was having trouble with about a year ago, so I cut it all out of my diet. When I started doing primal a few weeks ago, I decided to try and introduce a bit back in little by little. It seems that the dairy hasn't been a problem, but I think wheat has, since I haven't experienced any issues when I eat small amounts.

I think it's personal preference, really...I think the primal theory is that it's a sensible indulgence, so it's fine in moderation. I like it because I find that if I use a little feta cheese in a veggie omlette or salad, it keeps me satisfied for far longer. A little goes a long way!
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    When I started living Primal, the only dairy I had was in the powder of my whey protein shake (blended with almond milk or coconut milk), and Kerrygold (grassfed) butter. After the first month or so, I started to allow for the occasional ounce of raw milk, full fat cheese. I found that I tolerate it just fine, and it hasn't slowed my weight loss, so that's what works for me.

:)
    Amy
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    It's kinda like asking various churches "is dancing a sin?"... :)

The paleo folks don't do dairy. Primal folks do - within reason. Some of us kinda fudge the answer....

In my case, we don't use cow dairy - not only are there digestibility issues, but it's just too damned difficult to weed through the misuse of advertising/legal terminology to find truly organic, pasture-fed products. I do use goat and sheep dairy, though. Not only is it more easily digestible, but even if they aren't labelled organic, they are still pastured. Ever try to feedlot sheep or goats? I buy goat butter, cheese and yogurt from our natural foods co-op, and you can find sheep cheese at Trader Joe or even the supermarket - you just have to read the ingredients until you find one.
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Put me in the "fudging the answer" group. I have butter and cream and feel guilty about it.
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I eat dairy, and don't think I'll be cutting it out as it doesn't cause any digestive issues for me. Also, I've been at some frighteningly low weights in my adult life (as a side effect of depression, rather than any sort of eating disorder) and I'm scared witless of getting osteoporosis, so lots of calcium and weight lifting for me.
  • QuakerMom
    QuakerMom Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My first two weeks going primal I did not give up dairy, was having yogurt or kefir several times a week, small amounts of cheese on occasion, milk in my occasional coffee, and some butter on veggies. Then, after a great first week and totally stalled second week, my third week (4th day today) I decided to cut out nearly all dairy -- still using some butter (Kerrygold) and little bit of goat's milk (which we have for my 1-yr old) in my coffee, but neither is daily.

I once was tested as being sensitive to dairy (IgA testing for food sensitivities), but honestly i'm not sure if i notice a difference or not, the way i did removing grains and sugar. It turns out to be hard for me to give up cheese and yogurt, after going no grain/no sugar, but i am thinking i really should try to go 21 or 30 days w/out and then re-introduce it to see if it does or doesn't make a diff. As previous posters said, that's really the only way to know for sure.
  • AiryM
    AiryM Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I might try to abstain as much as possible. I think after the first week, I may add in some butter.

Mainly because I'm curious about "bullet proof" coffee. Anyone ever try that? I've heard of coconut oil in coffee but not butter. Curiosity is killing the cat.

Thanks again! You guys rock!
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Oddly I had the idea of butter in coffee before I'd even heard of that bulletproof site. I actually prefer the butter coffee to coconut oil coffee.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing dairy for the moment. I do think it is worthwhile to give it up for 30 days or so to see how you feel. I was going to add dairy back in after my paleo challenge ended but the challenge is over and I have no desire to add dairy back in yet.
    Oh wait, I lied. I forgot about ghee. I am going to add that back in. Mainly because I have a huge jar of it that I bought before going paleo and I don't want to use coconut oil all the time for cooking.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    At first I allowed dairy, but truth is my body loves dairy way too much in the sense of: I have no problem digesting it, I crave it in winter especially.. but it really packs the pounds on me if I'm not careful. Careful as in 1 or less servings per day. That's not much dairy.

So, I've switched to unsweet almond milk and eliminated most dairy except small daily amounts of butter and the more rare small amount of plain/greek yogurt (like one dollop yogurt in a big recipe that I only have a portion of)

Occasionally I can't resist a small amount of cheese, but especially cheese itself I've mostly cut out, just seems to work best for me that way. I find if I go ahead and eat all the cheese I want, even within reason of what daily servings are supposed to be, then the exercise counts for a lot less and I tend to gain.

Each person is different though.
  • crossfitterwahine
    crossfitterwahine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Right now I am eating quite a bit of Heavy Whipping Cream. I have 2 cups of coffee and 2 cups of tea throughout the day with my cream. It's something I'm going to wean myself off of eventually. I'll also cook with Kerrygold butter now and then. Everything else makes me congested.
  • heathernz
    heathernz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I avoid most dairy, but do often cook in a teaspoon of butter, particularly fried eggs and tomatoes - YUM. I also have a little milk in my coffee - just can't do coffee without milk!!
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I also have a little milk in my coffee - just can't do coffee without milk!!

My wife felt that way. One day she tried using some light coconut milk from Trader Joe (in the can) as a replacement, and never looked back. Dust it with some cinnamon, and she's good to go!
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I avoid most dairy, but do often cook in a teaspoon of butter, particularly fried eggs and tomatoes - YUM. I also have a little milk in my coffee - just can't do coffee without milk!!

I am doing a 30 day challenge and had to give up my TBSP of flavored creamer in my morning coffee - I switched to unsweetened coconut milk (so Delicious brand in cardboard box) - it cuts the coffee as black is a bit to strong (I use a K cup and the ones I have are pretty robust) - still miss the sweet a bit - might have to try coconut milk from the can (I put one in the fridge and scoop out the solitified "cream" on top - so I have a container of coconut creme to use with my fruit and then a container of liquid)

While on the 30 day I am not touching dairy...when it is over I fully expect to add back in some minor dairy - kerrygold butter here and there as a flavoring, a bite of cheese or two (we have an awesome farmers market so very easy to find farm fresh handcrafted cheeses). I use coconut oil for a majority of my frying/sauting...

I did a 30 day whole food cleanse back in November and when I tried to add back in the little bit of dairy I had been eating (greek yogurt, mainly) my stomach revolted in nasty ways...one night I attempted to have a few bites of ice cream...nope not good...My daughter is lactose/casein intolerant so we have gone more towards almond and coconut based things in our house over the past year...
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I cut out most dairy. Only because I learned I had issues with it. I enjoy my parmesan and blue cheeses. I can't do ice cream. Within 20 minutes of eating I will sneeze and then I'll feel like I have a sinus infection the rest of the evening.

I tried whole milk this past weekend. No go. I can do full fat greek yogurt in moderation.

I do miss my milk sometimes.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    It's kinda like asking various churches "is dancing a sin?"... :)

Haha, awesome answer!
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I personally don't do dairy and haven't really looked into it a whole lot but I have heard that a lot of people use raw dairy products.