clothes/shoes shopping

Options
fragilegift
fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
Now that I have about worn my shoes out, and my favorite track pants have a hole in them, I need to get new ones. Except, I am on a very low income. I realise that Kmart and Best and Less clothing has its place, but things I've seen are more fashion oriented than 'work out.' So I'm looking for decent brands that aren't going to cost the earth.

What brands would you suggest? and where would you find them? I'm in Tassie, so we don't have places like David Jones. Actually, apart from Myer and Harris Scarfe, I think all that is left to find sports gear is specialty sporting stores.

Replies

• jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    This is a tough one. I found it very hard to buy workout clothes when I was larger size 22 to 24. I even went to specialty stores who were less then helpful. Apparantly you need to be a size 8 to 10 to get work out clothes. Finally when I got to a 16/18 i found some in Rebel. Not much but some. I chose long pants (after all I really do not look good in shorts.....yet), I can wear the long pants walking or to zumba, stretch etc. I also got a top that has this special stuff in that doesnt show the sweat. It does work. However my point is this. Yes they did cost a bit but are very comfortable to work out in, and have held their shape etc. Maybe start with pants. And wear the old shirts for now.
  • fragilegift
    Options
    This is a tough one. I found it very hard to buy workout clothes when I was larger size 22 to 24. I even went to specialty stores who were less then helpful. Apparantly you need to be a size 8 to 10 to get work out clothes. Finally when I got to a 16/18 i found some in Rebel. Not much but some. I chose long pants (after all I really do not look good in shorts.....yet), I can wear the long pants walking or to zumba, stretch etc. I also got a top that has this special stuff in that doesnt show the sweat. It does work. However my point is this. Yes they did cost a bit but are very comfortable to work out in, and have held their shape etc. Maybe start with pants. And wear the old shirts for now.

No Rebel in Tassie :(

While I'm not willing to pay 154$ for a pair of trackies, paying more for quality you wont find in Kmart is doable.
  • StrawberrySt
    Options
    It might sound crazy but check if any of your local Coles supermarkets carry the 'Mix' range of clothing. They have an active section and I've found the clothes to be quite good and cheap! $20 for a top and $30 for pants.

Otherwise, do you have Trade Secret? Also a good one, or even a DFO or outlet mall. I shop at Fila in the outlet malls and they sell things cheap on sale.
  • fragilegift
    Options
    It might sound crazy but check if any of your local Coles supermarkets carry the 'Mix' range of clothing. They have an active section and I've found the clothes to be quite good and cheap! $20 for a top and $30 for pants.

Otherwise, do you have Trade Secret? Also a good one, or even a DFO or outlet mall. I shop at Fila in the outlet malls and they sell things cheap on sale.

We do have the Coles clothes back in store - found them last week! I'll have a look.

No Trade Secret here. Pretty sure we don't have a DFO either.
  • Shellitz
    Shellitz Posts: 188
    Options
    I never buy my sports clothes from sports stores, I think most of it is jacked up prices for not much. Oh yeah - I will look trendy...when I am sweating and my face is red blotchy and my hair goes frizzyfrom sweat. LOL!

I buy 90% of my stuff from Target, Kmart and Big W. Big W stock bonds and slazenger, both of which I find pretty practical and comfy (bonds only when on sale lol). Target and Kmart's legginfgs are regulalry $10 or under, so if they get bally or holes in them I can just toss them and get a new pair!
  • fragilegift
    Options
    I never buy my sports clothes from sports stores, I think most of it is jacked up prices for not much. Oh yeah - I will look trendy...when I am sweating and my face is red blotchy and my hair goes frizzyfrom sweat. LOL!

I buy 90% of my stuff from Target, Kmart and Big W. Big W stock bonds and slazenger, both of which I find pretty practical and comfy (bonds only when on sale lol). Target and Kmart's legginfgs are regulalry $10 or under, so if they get bally or holes in them I can just toss them and get a new pair!

No Big W in the north of the state! :(

I admit I haven't looked in Target, but I have looked in Kmart, and aside from the teenagerish hipster/plumbers crack trackies I couldn't find anything. That said, it was in December so maybe they weren't stocking long things. I am yet to find Bonds trackies in there. I know they HAD them a couple of years ago, coz my daughter bought some. I'll look again. Now might be better with school and all.
  • TotalTiger
    Options
    Harris Scarfe often have decent shoes on sale. Big W have an online site. Would they deliver? Ebay?????
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Ebay, ASOS (it's a UK site but is free delivery to Australia and it takes about two weeks. I bought a sports bra on there for $6 lol), Target, Lorna Jane. IDK. Good luck!
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My favourite gym pants are 3/4 length close-fitting-stretchy with a fold over band at the top - about $29 from target. Love them so much I have 3 pairs. I know they still stock them (I got my first pair around 2 years ago) so they must be popular with other people too.

Rebel sport have an online store - they stock a brand called "Motivate" which is basic-priced and "sturdy". Maybe check them out?

Good luck!
  • kkarrolle
    kkarrolle Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Target have a decent range of exercise clothing.

Also try some of the op shops, there are some great items of clothing in some of them. Some still new.

Best op shop I've found is the Red Cross shop on the corner from Chicken Feed and Blockbuster.

I buy my shoes only when on sale and usually at half price from one of the sports shops in St John St. Also if you know your sizes in US, keep as an eye out on catchoftheday.com.au they often have a shoe run out.

Some of the shoe brands at Harris Scarfe aren't too bad.
  • fragilegift
    Options
    Target have a decent range of exercise clothing.

Also try some of the op shops, there are some great items of clothing in some of them. Some still new.

Best op shop I've found is the Red Cross shop on the corner from Chicken Feed and Blockbuster.

I buy my shoes only when on sale and usually at half price from one of the sports shops in St John St. Also if you know your sizes in US, keep as an eye out on catchoftheday.com.au they often have a shoe run out.

Some of the shoe brands at Harris Scarfe aren't too bad.

Looks like I need to go to Target then. :)

I'll be near that Red Cross one today, and I even think its open on a Saturday as well, so I will check and pop in if its open.

Thanks!
  • carrotstick2012
    Options
    I got some workout gear from Target so another vote for them.
  • Amber86queenbee
    Options
    Definitely target though there sizing can sometimes be questionable (wearing a 14 exercise top in one style and an 8 in a different go figure). They do have a decent range though and I can always find something there even if I ignore the exercise section and look in hot options at times at the looser cartoon like tops. Also try Kmart.
  • ness2012
    Options
    No Rebel in Tassie :(

While I'm not willing to pay 154$ for a pair of trackies, paying more for quality you wont find in Kmart is doable.

There's a Rebel Sport at Eastlands if you are near Hobart.