Is it me or did I miss something somewhere in the PL world?

Options
2»

Replies

• kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's the way I'm built (short, stubby) but anything shallower than "as low as I can go" hurts my knees. I am thinking more about this as I enter my first powerlifting meet (Show Me State Games) as an ultra noob in July. I've been lifting with a powerlifter mindset, only since October.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    In on this thread.

Powerlifting is constantly evolving and records are getting broken everyday, and a lot of it is from the gear.
    Most of the current squat records are coming from the SPF, and they pass high squats. Their lifters wear multiply gear, and it's extremely hard to reach parallel in it, and it seems like the judges show a bit too much sympathy and let bad lifts pass.
    @Nopedotjpeg I think part of the reason that feds pass the high squats is from the pressure they receive from competitors. Federations can only stay alive if lifters are competing. And large groups like Westside will supposedly pick up and switch feds if they get mad enough. (They used to lift in a different fed, but when they quit handing out white lights for their cheap squats, Westside went to SPF).

As far as the slingshot goes. It's a training tool. It's not meant for competition use. The people who do slingshot comps are just silly.

When it comes to gear, it still takes an incredible amount of strength to be able to use it. you don't just magically gain 100 pounds on your bench. I wore a bench shirt for the first time yesterday, and it was incredibly difficult. I got 20-30 pounds of carryover from the shirt, but the bottom line came down to the fact that I don't have strong enough triceps to bench 100 extra pounds. It's a different class of lifting and the whole raw vs gear debate is dumb. If I bench 350 in gear, I'm not going to say I benched 350 raw.

And gear is extremely uncomfortable. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the guys who can train in gear year round and move the numbers that they do. This was after getting out of my shirt:
    IMG_20120514_174225.jpg
    Today it's black and blue.