My metabolism blows my hubby's mind

Options
mom2BandD
mom2BandD Posts: 101 Member
My hubby is a former athlete and still burns calories like its nothing. He watched me reduce calories, portion size, chugging water, and not lose anything until I started doing cardio/interval training 5-6 days a week. And he does not get it because he can lose 10-15 lbs in a couple months of doing just the diet adjustment. Must be nice. I do not get upset at his reaction as how can he get it if he has never lived it. He supports me and my insane workouts and healthy eating and most of the time he refrains from buying junk.

Anyone else have a partner/hubby/boyfriend that was blown away by your inability to metabolize any faster then a snails pace?

Replies

• Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Mine still can't believe it. He is home with me all the time so he knows I am not cheating.

He has lost 10# since August and eats like a horse and doesn't exercise. :noway:
  • seaglass2
    Options
    My husband has been so supportive of me throughout the 27+ years we have been married as I have struggled with weight issues. He has never said an unkind word about it.

We went on vacation to the shore home of a family member. While everyone else was chugging beer, eating cheeseburgers, hoagies (and lots of healthy food too) I was drinking water, eating salads, hummus & veggies for snacks. We did go out to eat one night and I had a glass of wine and a nice dinner.

We walked everyday for exercise and walked more along the beach for pleasure, rode bikes etc. and when we got home I asked him how much weight he thought I lost. Then I told him I had gained five pounds!!!

He was with me 24/7 and could not believe how I could have gained weight.

To be totally honest, I have let myself go out of anger and frustration because it seems like nothing was working. I started this journey again determined to get healthy one last time. The only alternative after this would be bariatric surgery.
  • dino_girl
    dino_girl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I hate men's metabolism...hahaha, just not fair
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Please don't get me started!! My husband has an excellent metabolism and can drop weight with very little effort. Problem is he's a big-time over-eater -- he loves sweets and can eat a whole cake or a whole bag of cookies in one sitting. So, he's pretty overweight right now - but I've seen him decide to lose and he will easily drop 5 pounds a week just by not eating cake!!

He is supportive, but I told him I gained 3 pounds overnight and he said "it's not possible to eat as little as you do and gain 3 pounds. It must be water." So, after 25 years of marriage, he still doesn't really get it.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I am the first person who's mind-blown about my metabolism. Before I had my thyroid removed, I used to eat so much and still struggle to keep weight on!

My family is endlessly supportive of what I'm going through, they've seen all of it and I just don't know how I'd ever make it out of the past six years without them, but it sometimes seems like they believe that my snail-paced metabolism will someday go away and that I'll be able to eat like I used to when it was a struggle to keep weight on. It's a bit frustrating, especially when I know how painfully wrong they are.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Honestly no one has any idea because I eat and work out alone most of the time. My hubs know when my levels are off though. When I am hypo I sleep a lot and just can't participate in anything.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    The only person in my life with a worse metabolism than mine is my boyfriend! He can suck on a wet rock and gain weight. Now that he's suffering hypothyroidism on top of his type 1 diabetes, it's gotten really hard for him to take off weight. But now he knows how I felt before he was diagnosed with the diabetes. He was an athelete, but mainly a wrestler so he had already messed up his metabolism with that. I was active in high school, but I still was heavier than most of my friends. But not fat, by any means! Just always been a "low-energy" person.
    The slow metabolism sucks for weight loss. And frustrating too! Up 2 pounds this week, but down 3 over the last 3 weeks. All that exercise netted me 3 pounds. I was able to lose 3 pound before adding it in too. Oh well...
  • blnorman29
    blnorman29 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My husband does get frustrated with my low energy and low libido. He can just stop eating fast food and lose 20 pounds without even realizing it. Jerk. :p I'm supposed to start treatment tomorrow for my hypo, so hopefully those things start improving for me.
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    My husband isnew to me haveHashimoto's , and he has never said anything rude about me not losing this baby weight, Thank God! I feel i always have to explain to everyone why I am not losing! I been on here -MFP for for almost eight months and only lost 10 lb! 5 of which was probably water from my swollen legs??- another wierd symptom- So I kinda stopped caring now Im back on track, and not letting my thyroid take over my happiness. He doesnt know anything about what the thyroid gland does and how important it is to be just right, Im SICK AND TIRED of talking, reading about it going to the dr's etc. and Ive only been doing this for 9 months! Every once in awhile I have a breakdown, but i guess thats normal. My husband works during the day and evening so he only sees me eat lunch and usually its salad, and fish, or egg whites or tuna.