Finding time?

Options
AngelJLV83
AngelJLV83 Posts: 59 Member
I am a single working mom in Nursing school. How do any of you find time to work, go to school, do the HOURS of studying needed, see your kids, not let your house get out of hand AND go to the gym? The gym seems to have fallen off my priority list lately and I do not feel good about it. I am not terrible at time management. There are not enough hours in the day!! I already do not get enough sleep, so waking up at 5am to workout when I go to bed at 11 from studying seems so awful!!

Replies

• hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, so I can't even imagine the stress that must put on you. But I can relate as far as struggling to find time to do anything. My friend/family time is sort of like your kid time. Necessary for well-being, but still takes up time in the day. Here is a regular week for me:

Monday I have an 8-8:50 class, 9-9:50 class (which just happens to be a strength training class), work 10-2, and then a clinical from 3:30 until 9:30. That hour and a half gives me time to study and get my crap situated before clinical.

Tuesday I don't have class until 9:25, so I spend time studying in the AM. And then I have a break from 10:40-1:40, where I enjoy lunch with friends. From 1:40-3:30, I have class, and then I go home and go to the gym.

Wednesday is a repeat of Monday, except without the clinical. So after 2pm, my life is my own, and it's spent either spending time with my boyfriend or studying at home. And then go to the gym, even with my strength training class.

Thursday I don't have class until 11, so I study in the AM until class starts (after sleeping in a bit), and then I grab coffee and snacks with a friend until class at 1:40, which goes until 4:10. Then home, and to the gym.

Friday I only have my 8-8:50 class and then work 9-2. Again, after 2pm, I can do whatever, and it's usually spent, again, either going to my boyfriend's or home studying. And then go to the gym.

I always find time to hit up the gym. Sit down and prioritize, but don't over work yourself either. Even if you don't have time to go to the gym, find time to take a walk on breaks or challenge yourself to do other healthy things, and maybe hit up the gym on the weekends.
  • AngelJLV83
    AngelJLV83 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Sun I work 10-4. Then I come home and get my stuff and my son's stuff ready for the week. My gym is closed by the time I get home from work. Gotta get uniforms washed, etc.

Monday I have class 8-1150 and 1-450. My son is home when I get home and then its homework time for him and me.

Tuesday no class. I go to the gym, have my laundry day and STUDY

Wednesday is a repeat of Monday

Thursday I have class 12-3. I usually have studying and my son is home when I get home from class

Friday I work 4pm-11pm as well as Saturday.

Starting March 19th I have class Mon 10-6, Tues clinicals 630am-1pm, Class wed/fri 12-5 Thurs 12-3 and work Fri/sat/sun. I barely see my kid anymore so dropping him off to go to the gym seems terrible and I feel guilty the whole time I workout. He is 9 and always wants me around. I dont wanna leave him and the in 2 years when I am done with school have him be 11 and want nothing to do with me. They are only young once and it goes by SO FAST
  • rosemiller11
    rosemiller11 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Mom, so have no idea how stressful this must be for you! However, i'll let you know what I do. I have class on Monday from 8-3, then on Tues-Thurs, from 8-12:00. On wed. and Fri. I have clinicals from 6:30-3:00. I work Saturday, and generally ahve off on Sunday.

I have an avg of 2 tests a week, and a ton of homework (for instance, I have 2 careplans, 3 concept maps, a clinical assignment, 23 drug cards due by next Fri, and then I had a test today, one tomoorow, and a Final on Thurs this week, so my week is jam-packed full. I cannot afford a gym subscription, so what I do is on MWF, I walk the 2 mile trail at college on my lunch break. Generally takes me 40 min. If I have a test in the morning (no matter what day it is) I walk from the time i get done, until class starts again. I am a fast test-taker tho, so that might make a difference. Then on Tues, Thurs, I have an agreement with a friend, and we walk in the afternoon for at least 30 min... at the park, or wherever. (great way to slip a little socializing in as well). Also, I am an auditory learner, and I record all the lectures, so when I am walking by myself, it is a great way to incorporate excercise and study time together. Don't know if that helps or not... I know that walking is not hardcore, but I have 21 credit hours this semester, and I figure better this than nothing at all. Baby steps, m'dears, baby steps.