Do you drink alcohol?

Options
barefoot76
barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
I've been focusing on running for the last year with some weight training mixed in, mainly to help strengthen my core and support my joints and ligaments for distance running. I've just finished up my season and I'm ready to start lifting to get ready for an endurance event in June.

What I'm wondering is whether alcohol and lifting can go together? I can't drink wine or beer because I am allergic to them, so I often have a mixed drink at night. Of course, these are sugary drinks and, I'm sure, slow down my metabolism.

The problem is that having a drink has become a regular part of my evening wind-down routine. And my husband usually also kicks back with a couple of beers, so we use this time after the kids go to bed to have some quiet time and talk about our day.

I'm worried that I am going to sabotage my lifting program if I have these drinks, but I'm not sure how to unwind without this indulgence. I've thought about tea or yoga, but I'm not sure if would be the same? All of that said, I haven't noticed any negative effects on my morning workouts. I'd love your feedback, thanks!

Replies

• FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I remember in the NROL book red wine is part of the nutrition plan. :drinker: Not sure about mixed drinks.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Having a drink in the evening (or anytime) will in no way slow down your metabolism. It will not sabotage your lifting unless it's keeping you from getting enough of the other nutrients (carbs, protein, fat) or you are dehydrated and hungover from it.
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

In addition to what Carrie said, your muscle gains may suffer if alcohol before bed keeps you from sleeping deeply/properly. If not, it seems you're good to go. :)
  • luvmypwds
    Options
    I've drank through all my training programs, and let me tell you, they were intensive programs. For me, the key is to always make sure you drink at least one big glass of water for every drink you have. You do not want to be dehydrated for your next day workout. I would also drink less if I have a heavy workout day the next, like a long run or long bike ride. I drink almost everyday, as like you, I totally need that "wind down" time.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    This is good to hear.

<
    red wine fan
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    <
    Drinking red wine right now.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I certainly do, I log it on my diary to count the calories. If you're worried about the sugar in the mixers, go for diet versions, or a nice high protein drink- kahlua and milk!! Red wine is usually my weapon of choice.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i think having a drink for "dessert" is OK... One cocktail made with low sugar mixers is certainly better than eating 1/2 a pint of ice cream. Its an end of the day habit that isn't going to wreak havoc and gives you time to chill out with your husband :)