What do you miss? What don't you miss?

Options
Come on...let me have it...what is it you miss most from the dairy food group? And what are you ok not ingesting?

Replies

• sfh0wrd
    Options
    When it was just a casein allergy issue, I was able to eat dairy as long as I spaced it out. It was a respiratory allergy that was really dependent on how often/how much I ate. But then, over the past few years, I have developed a lactose intolerance that keeps getting worse!

Hands down, what I miss is ICECREAM. I don't mind my dairy free ice cream, but WOW what wouldn't I give to eat REAL DAIRY ice cream on occasion. But the stomach ache (and horrendous gas, TMI) just isn't worth it.

But on the other hand, I never miss milk ever. I grew up on soy/rice milk, and real milk makes me gag. As does yogurt.
  • SEDIMATTEO
    Options
    I don't miss a glass of milk. I LOVE almond milk! The butter, cream cheese and ice cream subs are fine by me. I miss real cheese! I can have goat cheese, but it's just not the same.
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hear! Hear! I definitely miss real cheese (a great swiss) and ice cream (preferable green tea from my fav Japanese restaurant or Farr's peppermint). I don't miss the gas/bloating/tummy troubles/etc. and I agree with you both...I do not miss milk either. I am neurotic and think about it too much, and milk becomes weird and wrong in my mind.
  • Amom2Two
    Amom2Two Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I miss real pizza and soft ice cream cones the most. Whenever I see those foods, my mouth still waters.

I also miss steak and pork chops. I have food allergies to beef, pork, dairy, cod and grapes.
  • MissVCI
    MissVCI Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    the only cheese i really miss is BRIE, i loved, loved, loved brie. Everything else is not that much of an issue, especially with the variety of substitutes.

But haven't found a way to make really creamy mashed potatoes without real butter or milk since giving up dairy.
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    MissVC have you tried the Tofutti brand sour cream for your mashed potatoes?

Oh man! No lie on the pizza! I am also gluten free and talk about feeling a major gaping hole in my life. Grew up in Chicago, eating amazing pizza every Friday with my Dad. Now, I make a d-f and g-f version. It is good, but it certainly is NOT the same.
  • rahrah82
    rahrah82 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I miss ice cream alot, especially when you have people over and everyone is eating icecream and talking about how good it is :o(
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Ice cream and gelato, truffle-style-chocolate.. that's what I miss except on special occasions when I allow small portions of it..

Otherwise I'm dairy free except for small amounts of real butter which I allow.

I wouldn't stick with it if it didn't work so well for me. When I first tried dairy free it was like: ok the good news is it's working.. the bad news is.. it's working!
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    warm (room temp, not refrigerated) squeeky cheese curds from Wisconsin!
    Dairy makes me so ill that I mostly don't miss it. Really good pizza is hard (I have teenagers and just because *I* can't have it, doesn't mean everyone else has to suffer with me.)
  • hugapitbull
    hugapitbull Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was a dairy addict. Cheese and butter were staples. Ice cream, iced mocha, or something similar at least once a week. Also the crackers, bread, cookies - not that I ate a lot of them, but I miss not having it available.
  • raethepain
    raethepain Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Really nice cheddar cheese. I really don't miss it in most other circumstances. Dairy-free alternatives are much better than when I was a kid!
  • healthchick
    healthchick Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I miss caramel slice. I also miss the freedom of going into a cafe and simply "picking" something, now it is a lot more complicated. I have an intolerance to casein, lactose, and whey.
  • Sorie44
    Sorie44 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't miss ice cream any longer. I just makes me feel so bad when I eat it, it is not worth it.

I miss cheese. I really like the taste of, well almost all cheeses.
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I miss foods that I have memories of. Like I used to play my harry potter video games while pigging out on flamin hot cheetohs. Not only do they have dairy, but food dye...and i'm allergic to BOTH. Things like ice cream and pizza don't tempt me too much anymore. They smell gross to me now!
  • blpnana
    blpnana Posts: 36
    Options
    I think I miss the familiarity of the dairy foods more than anything. I was a heavy milk drinker, half and half user, cheese eater, sour cream, cream cheese all of it - wow, I didn't realize how much of that stuff I ate until I'm writing it down! Anyway - I took dairy out of my diet and have turned toward Almond milk if I'm feeling the "need" but I make sure it's carageenan free and unsweetened. I've used Daiya shreds in place of cheese and they're fine. I'm amazed that I honestly don't miss dairy - which is weird because I used to be so heavy duty into it. That makes me happy! :smile:
  • GreenChile3
    GreenChile3 Posts: 65
    Options
    i miss ice cream and cheese the most but i just cant have it
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I find I crave the dairy most in winter. I read somewhere it's traditional in Ireland to eat creamy oyster stew at Christmas.. sounds about right to me.

Apparently us pale people need the vitamin D in the dairy to compensate for lack of sun in winter. But if you overdo you end up a wide ole Celtic mom.

Which reminds me I'm so glad lately it's been like the sunny tropics here at home, the sun brings me to life even if I like the mists and cool. I just don't like the cold.
  • amazon69
    amazon69 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I miss ice cream.
  • bretay61
    bretay61 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i miss cheese most of all...i know there are daiya and follow your heart...but i miss the block cheese and i havent found anything but shreds and sliced here in anderson,sc