Confused rebounding newbie needs help with calcium and endur

Options
SRH7
SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
I've bounced backwards and forwards with a low carb way of eating over the years - losing 28lbs eight years ago by dropping my carbs to around 20g (following Atkins) - then going back to carb-filled eating, during which my weight has crept back up again.

First up, please don't shout at me for not sticking with low carb! I've learned my lesson! Secondly, I could really do with some help on a couple of issues. I've gone back on a low carb diet and have lost 4lbs in two weeks by dropping to 50-100g a day, which is slow and steady.

Thing is, I'd really like to drop my carbs a bit lower and I think cutting out milk would help. But how can I get calcium on a low carb diet? I eat plain yogurt from time to time but don't like it enough to eat it every day. Any ideas of low-carb high-calcium foods?

Also, at the weekends I usually get in two big hikes (around 2,000-3,000ft uphill and five to eight hours long). I've tried it fuelled on low carb food once, and three hours in practically collapsed. Is it possible to do endurance sports on low carb? Is it okay to increase carbs at the weekend (at the moment I'm having muesli before setting off and eating bananas, nuts, seeds or sandwiches with wholegrain bread en route)?

Help!

Replies

• Kksd605
    Kksd605 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese. High protein, low carb, and quite a bit of calcium. I would also consider a calcium supplement.
  • SRH7
    Options
    Ooooh, now I do like cottage cheese. And I guess with low carb I can have the ordinary stuff instead of the yucky thin low fat cheese!
  • roro73
    roro73 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

Also, at the weekends I usually get in two big hikes (around 2,000-3,000ft uphill and five to eight hours long). I've tried it fuelled on low carb food once, and three hours in practically collapsed. Is it possible to do endurance sports on low carb? Is it okay to increase carbs at the weekend (at the moment I'm having muesli before setting off and eating bananas, nuts, seeds or sandwiches with wholegrain bread en route)?

Help!

I'm curious about this one too.
  • roro73
    roro73 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Also, most hard or semi soft cheeses are low carb and have decent amounts of calcium.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Here's a list of high foods rich in calcium, that are low carb and their values:

Daily requirements:

Children (ages 1-3): 500 mg per day
    Children (ages 4-8): 800 mg per day
    Youth (ages 9-18): 1300 mg per day
    Adults (ages 19-50): 1000 mg per day
    Adults (ages 51 or older): 1200 mg per day

•1 cup of yogurt - 345-415 mg
    •1 ounce of cheddar cheese - 191 mg
    •1 ounce of mozzarella cheese - 207 mg
    •1/2 cup ricotta cheese - 337 mg
    •1/2 cup tofu - 204 mg
    •1/2 cup almonds - 188 mg
    •1 tablespoon sesame seeds - 88 mg
    •1/2 cup rhubarb - 174 mg
    1/2 cup broccoli (cooked) - 89 mg
    •1/2 cup kale (cooked) -90 mg
    •1/2 cup collard greens (cooked) - 74 mg
    •1/2 cup spinach (cooked) - 61 mg

In terms of high energy, low carb foods- heres a list:

Avocados
    Nuts & Nut butter (almond butter is particularly good)
    Eggs
    Cheese

So, perhaps make yourself a nice breakfast omlette, or a flax muffin spread with almond butter & a handful of nuts.
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hood Calorie Countdown is a low-carb. milk.....available is reg. or choc.....sweetened with Splenda.....either 2 or 3 net cabs. per serving and 70 calories.
  • SRH7
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. Had no idea about sesame seeds and broccoli - I use them a lot, particularly in stir fries. Going to start getting creative with my cooking with all these ingredients.
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Look into almond and/or coconut milk. The unsweetened versions have 1-3 carbs per cup and over 50% more calcium than regular milk. I also LOVE cheese and almonds. No problem getting my calcium in for the day.
  • SRH7
    Options
    Oooh, sounds good. Can be difficult tracking down low carb foods in the UK but I suspect different types of milk might be available at health food stores. Will have a Google!
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You can definitely get Almond milk at Tesco, my local Metro does it. There's also a website called lowcarbmegastore which stocks a lot of low carb products that you won't find on UK shelves, but bear in mind it's mostly processed, junky food which does stall some people. Could be a help if you're craving desserts or ketchup though!
  • SRH7
    Options
    You can definitely get Almond milk at Tesco, my local Metro does it. There's also a website called lowcarbmegastore which stocks a lot of low carb products that you won't find on UK shelves, but bear in mind it's mostly processed, junky food which does stall some people. Could be a help if you're craving desserts or ketchup though!

Oooooh, low carb ketchup - now there's something to go with my burgers (homemade wrapped in lettuce, of course!)
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    :smile: good info