Deal breakers?

Options

Replies

• scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Before the religious preference thing gets too heated...

I think the point of what has been said is that many prefer to date within their faith. I personally am one of them. However, I wouldn't automatically discount someone if they weren't at the same place I was at that moment. Others are more rigid on that and would not consider anyone that was not in the same spiritual place as they are. We all need to do what works for us.

We're individuals with our own personal views and preferences...let's remember that and keep the religious topic-stuff respectful.

Thx. :flowerforyou:
  • jaxdiablo
    Options
    I'm not too sure what my deal breakers are. I did come across one this past weekend. If you say you're going to go work out with me or join me in something active, which is very important to me, don't back out at the last minute i.e. I'm already at your house and you decide you were too tired to go. Damn that.
  • greenmanspirit
    Options
    People that say they won't date people that aren't Christian. Why? I am agnostic and probably have a higher moral standard then most "Christians" I know. So you are saying because I don't read a book and don't believe any one culture is better then the next that you look down on me as you would someone that has an addicition to something harmful?

I always wonder this as I grew up Luthern but studied many religions when I was in college and decided that there is a little bit of all of them I can associate with but I can't believe that there is one person/enity serving over the whole world.

Fun fact, I am a Druid and have on a few occasions been told flat out "you are one of the best guys I know but you don't believe in Jesus so I won't go on a date with you." On occasion that comment is followed with the person kicking me out of their life entirely. For a while I was hiding my beliefs entirely and just going with the motions in order to date. Now I refuse to and if they can't accept me, so be it.
  • Learning2LuvLindsay
    Learning2LuvLindsay Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    I try to keep an open mind when it comes to dating. However, I cannot date a guy without ambitions (no job, lives with mom, lazy, ect). Also, like others said….drug use is an absolute deal breaker. Lastly, I need someone who likes to have fun, enjoys life, and takes pleasure in being social once in a while!
  • ejoy319
    ejoy319 Posts: 104
    Options
    ladies...just out of curiosity....is there too tall?
    note: im not asking b/c i think i am...its not that at all...its just meaningless curiosity....

My ex husband is 6'10... I am 5'5, he used to put everything up so high all the time and I couldn't find things or reach them.... also he took up way too much room in the closet .....huge shoes and clothes....LOL (but he's the ex because he was a HUGE JERK)
  • MelissaT81
    MelissaT81 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    1. Toothless
    2. Jobless
    3. doesn't like kids or dogs
    4. does drugs
    5. is shorter than 5'7
    6. someone with no goals in life or no ambition to work towards them
    7. liars/cheaters

sorry been single a long time so you find lots of deal breakers :laugh:
  • MelissaT81
    MelissaT81 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    note: im not asking b/c i think i am...its not that at all...its just meaningless curiosity....

nope the taller the better for me..granted I'm only 5'1 so it tends to look a little odd
  • Lizi19
    Lizi19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Height is not a deal breaker for me. I've dated and crushed on shorter guys than me and I'm not that tall (5'6).

I do want someone who is smart and can discuss politics, literature, philosophy... I've tried dating guys who were not that educated and found them boring. They don't have to be college educated, but do have to value knowledge and learning and all that awesome stuff, b/c I'm a bit of a nerd.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

At 4.11 I tend to draw the line at 6.2....:laugh: However, I also dated a 6.2 guy who was over 20stone! (280+lbs). I think if you fall for someone, you fall for them :love:

I'm allergic to dogs so a dog owner would be a deal breaker.

Black teeth....urgh!

Drug and alcohol addicts. Dont mind recreational drugs or social drinkers.

Couch potatoes!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

No! I'm 5'4" and have yet to meet someone who was too tall. lol!! That said, I like short guys, especially if they're stocky.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    you could miss out on something very special if you let your deal breakers get in the way.

One of my favorite boyfriends was a guy who smoked (deal breaker), non-Christian (deal breaker), and had a tainted past (deal beaker). It only lasted a couple months, but when we entered the friend zone he taught me SO much about dating and tricks guys use, and even evaluated guys for me ;-)

Why did I even go out with him in the first place? Because he was h-o-t, he heavily pursued, and my friends reminded me that one date doesn't equal marriage: "You don't have to marry the guy, just let him treat you to a nice night out."

What did I learn from that? Well, I still won't marry someone who smokes (because I react badly to smoke) but I *will* go out with someone who may, at first glance, appears to have a deal breaker, and withhold judgment after I've gotten to know him a little bit.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    What did I learn from that? Well, I still won't marry someone who smokes (because I react badly to smoke) but I *will* go out with someone who may, at first glance, appears to have a deal breaker, and withhold judgment after I've gotten to know him a little bit.

Very wise. :flowerforyou:
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    just one? nope.

won't date anyone shorter than 5'10" or so. i've gotten pretty picky about that one.
    living with relatives - not ok.
    underachievers - nope.
    unintelligent - can't do it.
    low libido? not so much.
    unhygenic? we won't even chat.
    etcetera.

ETA - i will not date parents. sorry. none at all.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    -negative ALL the time
    -drugs/smokers <-- I just can't tolerate it personally
    -non-communicators
    -guys who aren't gentlemen like at all
    -racists/very very stereotypical to the extreme
    -lustful at first sight kind of guys <-- makes me sad how most guys like that always try to talk to me. I love classy, smart, gentlemen guys who see beauty and intelligence, not just my body.
    -men who have the mindset of a boy
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I can't overlook a guy that has no priorities.. I was seeing this guy and then was informed that he got a DUI at 20 and didn't have a license yet because he still owed the state money.... 7 years later and was also jobless. Maybe he should spend a few less nights at the bar and pay back the state?

I agree with the really obese people. Now that I'm active and happily changing myself, I don't want someone who is obese and not willing to help themselves.

Also, no kids. No offense but I don't want my own, so I really don't want yours.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    you could miss out on something very special if you let your deal breakers get in the way.

One of my favorite boyfriends was a guy who smoked (deal breaker), non-Christian (deal breaker), and had a tainted past (deal beaker). It only lasted a couple months, but when we entered the friend zone he taught me SO much about dating and tricks guys use, and even evaluated guys for me ;-)

Why did I even go out with him in the first place? Because he was h-o-t, he heavily pursued, and my friends reminded me that one date doesn't equal marriage: "You don't have to marry the guy, just let him treat you to a nice night out."

very well said.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    the one deal breaker I used to always have was not wanting to date someone shorter than me (I'm 5'8 1/2). I felt awkward around men shorter than me, even though they never seemed to mind that I was taller.

At this point...I'm 42 and single. Height is WAY less important than it was when I was younger. Actually looks in general are less important, although I prefer that they still have all their own teeth (and at least a little hair) :laugh:

I prefer not to date smokers, but have dated them occasionally...as long as they don't smoke in my car or home.

I've been out of the dating pool for a long time and am just now starting to get back into it...so I'm looking to meet new people, have a little companionship, and not get too serious at the moment. I'll leave the real dealbreakers for if I decide to get serious with someone...
  • Kdingo
    Kdingo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    What is the one characteristic that you just can't overlook in potential dates.?

............for me I can't date a guy shorter than me........same height is reallllly pushing it

Same, but since I'm only 5'1 it's easy enough to avoid.:laugh:
    Though they can't be hyper, and no meanies!:ohwell:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    It might be worthy of its own thread but am curious if anyone has ever explored the psychological reasons that so many ladies have such an issue with a man being shorter then they are to the point they would forgo possible happiness with him.

I am 5'8" and think that is close to average height so not a personal thing.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    It might be worthy of its own thread but am curious if anyone has ever explored the psychological reasons that so many ladies have such an issue with a man being shorter then they are to the point they would forgo possible happiness with him.
    I think they want their man to be "strong", "dominating", a "shoulder to rest on", etc. All that bullcrap. And height is perceived as being an attribute of this (and is, probably).
    If you are a shorter guy, strong and muscular and you break someone neck in front of her to protect her, chances are she'll find you suddenly very attractive. :noway: (don't direct your violence against her, that is all)
    If guy is attractive, funny, confident, millionaire etc but slightly shorter than the girl (say she says size<5'8'' = deal breaker and guy is in fact 5'7''), she will still accept the whole package. That how Nicolas Sarkozy found his hot wife, he is a short but very powerful man.

To me, one of the massive deal breaker is hygiene (kills my desire), another one is I want a girl to be "feminine" to a certain extent (no tomboy).