Questions for those who have hashi's?

Options
It's been interesting reading everyone's posts over the past several weeks.

One thing I noticed is many of you who have hashi's indicated that you were diagnosed after having a baby.

I had my son later in life (age 34) and thinking about it and looking back - that would be when my hypothyroid symptoms probably first manifested. But being a new mom was the reason I was given for being tired. Hormonal changes for my hair falling out. Eating too much and exercising to little for the inability to lose weight (simply NOT true)....yada, yada, yada.

All of which of course would disappear with an antidepressant - NOT! I did not take them thank goodness because I probably would have gained even more weight as that is one side effect.

I was not diagnosed until I was 47, it make me sad and angry that I suffered needlessly all those years and went aimlessly from doctor to doctor. Women's health issues are not taken as seriously as men's.

> So, thanks if you read so far, here are my questions

If you were diagnosed shortly after having a baby, how long did it take the doc's (and which one) diagnosed it?

Were you ever given any explanation as to the connection between a pregnancy and hashi's?

Do you also have/had any other major health issues (endometriosis, asthma, celiac, other autoimmune issues, etc.)?

Just trying to make sense of it all - thanks!

Donna

Replies

• sharonlane23
    Options
    i also had my youngest later (30) i was not diagnosed until much later age 45, i was always told i was depressed and took the anti depression meds. i also had endometriosis and had to have a historectomy last year. i have always said that even Dr's do not take large people serious and just want to say your fat lose weight but never actually look into it till you find the one Dr that gives a crap !
  • Farfelue
    Options
    Hello Donna,

I had my first at 32 and was diagnosed when she was a few months, I too felt the tiredness and weight were just linked to having a baby. But I couldn't understand the muscle weakness.
    My levels were soooo bad it was obvious I was hypo and I was put on Levo right away, 100 mcg if I recall well. Felt SOOO good within a couple of weeks, and then things went bad again gradually. Worse after second child, which is when I developed intolerance to wheat and/or gluten. Tested twice negative for coeliac.
    Never was taken seriously by male NOR FEMALE GPs or Endos or Gyneacologists etc... until recently I found myself a very very good endo.

Never was explained the correlation between pregnancy and symptoms flaring up.

Have been doing a lot of thinking lately and looking back at the teenage years, I think it must have started then, the hashi. But at that age, you are either stick thin or you have puppy fat.
    Thinking back now, on three occasions I put on 15 kilos rapidly and I also have lost those 15 kilos very quickly. Never have gone beyond that, funny...

So I reckon I have had hashi attacks over the years killing off the thyroid gradually. But it is when you get pregnant and your hormones start to do different things that this one just can't keep up and that's when eventually it shows.
    I only went to the GP for an iron test which I thought was what I lacked, for being so tired.

When I got put on T3 and I started to feel so much better (and reduced T4) I too felt angry, cheated, "why me" and all that. Years wasted, arguments I need not have with my husband, depressive moods, highly stressed etc...
    Then I decided that crying over the past wouldn't improve my future. Nonetheless, I think it is scandalous that we don't get treated better. It is not a properly recognised illness. I was offered the anti-D every single time I saw my LADY GP. Turned them down, always. Glad I did.

I don't think I have any other auto-immune... I have Raynaud's disease (since a kid) and I bleed halfway my cycle, considered a partial ablation 2 years ago but it's a little better since being on T3 so I've decided to leave that part of me untouched for now. Don't need more drama!

I bought a t-shirt on thyroid-disease.org.uk a while back that says "thyroid disease is a pain in the neck" and I wear it regularly (from spring) proudly and have spoken to people to raise awareness.

Another long post, sorry!

x

Sorry long post!
  • seaglass2
    Options
    Sharon, I also had endometriosis.

amatxi I looked up Raynaud's as I did not know what it was and it is associated with another autoimmune disease and being hypothyroid.
  • Farfelue
    Options
    Donna. I wish there was a smiley that would do justice to the face I made when I read your post.
    Why am I surprised? I shouldn't be.

Well, thanks for the info.
    I've had Raynaud's as a child. There goes.
    Oh I'm p****d off with it all!