Net Carb question

Options
roro73
roro73 Posts: 153 Member
Hi all -

I've done Atkins successfully after my daughter was born (13 years ago) but eventually gained the weight back plus alot extra. I've attempted it again a few times to no avail. About a month ago I found MFP and started logging calories which seemed ok, but I found myself eating too much processed stuff so I am super excited to find this low carb group here.

Through the message boards I found George Stella and have a renewed sense that I can live low carb and completely make it a lifestyle. I'm wondering about logging my food though. I am going to try not to focus too much on the calories (I mean I won't go hog wild but I'll try not to get upset if I'm a little over). With all that said, my main focus is carbs right now. Alot of foods (the clean foods anyhow) don't have net carbs listed on here so if I remember correctly you can subtract fiber from the carbs to get the net carb right?? For example, I looked up artichoke and it had 15 carbs but 9 grams of fiber so net carbs is 6 right?

Any help would be appreciated. Even though I've done this before, I feel like a newbie again :)

Replies

• rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    You're correct! Net carbs = carbs- fiber

I have my calories set at 1690, sometimes I go over and sometimes I don't. I try to keep my NC below 35.
  • roro73
    roro73 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thank you! So you just do the net carb calculation on your own right, there's no setting to automatically have that done for you is there?
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    sometimes when you look up food items there will be some that people have done the net carb'ing for you, but as far as I can tell, mfp doesn't have any settings like that. You can track fiber and just subtract at the end of the day. That's what I do.
  • Tkwild
    Tkwild Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I actually find it easiest to follow net carbs on the phone app, you can see really clearly all of the nutritional values for your daily food on that in a way that you can't on the website.