Any suggestions for a hydration system?

Options
DaveC29
DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
I am getting into some longer runs where I have lost a half gallon of water weight in sweat. (I think my cold weather running clothes are wicking water out?) This brings me into the thought that I need to begin working on hydrating while I'm running as I go forward with my longer runs.

I am considering a camelback system (around 100oz capacity) vs. a 'traditional' fuel belt. Does anyone have any experience with either and how much water/electrolyte drink capacity should I have/consume during a long run (1.5+ hours)?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• nikkibyrdRN
    nikkibyrdRN Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Lots of great info here http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-301--13917-0,00.html on fueling your runs. I use a Nike hydration belt that allows me to carry up to 4 bottles. http://www.amazon.com/Nike-Running-Hydration-Anthracite-Varsity/dp/B00187FOP0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330239537&sr=8-2 I usually do 2 water and 2 sports drinks and I also carry gels. I use the water to chase my gels. I prefer Clif Shot Blocks, but I tried out several different types and brands before I found what I liked. For me personally if I am running anything over 1 hour I carry something with me. It not only keeps me hydrated, but pushes me through the run! :) It's all definitely personal preference and trial and error.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information Nikki.
  • nikkibyrdRN
    nikkibyrdRN Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Anytime!
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Dave, Dave, Dave!

This is an area I've learned to "accelerade" in... Pun intended... A key provider in this space is Nathan, who makes multiple belts with differing bottle/fluid oz models. I have two belts -- one that allows me to carry 20oz and a second that allows me to carry 40oz. And now that I'm training for my first marathon, I may soon try to wear both of them at the same time. After 2 hours I tend to deplete my 40oz.

Amazon is the place too -- and look for the ones that come in different sizes -- sm/med/lg. I also use/drink Accelerade, where I take a sip of cold water then a sip of Accelerade as I go. Hydration while running can make all the difference in the world on your mileage, stamina, recovery and appetite toward running in general. I'm aghast at how many runners practice their craft with no water source, whatsoever. I've also learned that if you wait until you're thirsty, you're already severely dehydrated.

Now, we should discuss high visibility clothing, head lamps, ...

Great luck to you!!!

JJJ
    - founder of MFP Dedicated Runners