Carb levels and weight loss

Options
I've been following a Primal-ish way of eating now for about a month, and in general have been getting about 70-100g of carbs per day. I have lost a good two inches from around my waist, which I mainly attribute to lack of wheat-bloat, so I'm fine with that...however, I seem to be losing weight, and I don't really want to be. I'm trying to put on some muscle, so would rather be gaining than anything.

So, my question to you is, do I increase the amount of carbs I'm eating, or would it be better to try and up my protein and fat intake instead? I generally get at least 100g of protein, and maybe 70-90 of fat, which is pretty much appropriate to my body weight and goals.

Replies

• GrokOn
    GrokOn Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into this alot lately and My conclusions have come to that you need to be eating above your maintenance calories and your protien should be at least 1g per pound of lean body mass. As far as carbs go you might want to up them also if you are feeling weak and sluggish during your weight lifting sessions. It has something to do with muscle glycogen being depleated durng heavy lifting. I would up them to about 150g to start and see how you feel from there if you are having that problem.
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This sounds pretty logical to me...and also like a good reason to make some roasted sweet potatoes. Yum.

I will update this thread with how I get on :)
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I would focus more on upping the protein if you are not getting 1 to 1.25 grams per pound of LBM per day. A casein shake right before bed is a great way to get extra protein, tastes great and feeds your muscles as you sleep.
  • _persephone_
    Options
    I would focus more on upping the protein if you are not getting 1 to 1.25 grams per pound of LBM per day. A casein shake right before bed is a great way to get extra protein, tastes great and feeds your muscles as you sleep.

Thing is, I am getting plenty of protein per LBM - I'm just kind of titchy so it does not sound like very much lol! I've decided to try to up everything by a little bit, and fat by a lot (because my appetite is not huge and fat is more bang for your buck calorie wise)
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just wanted to reply to this topic to say that you might want to check out the Carbohydrate Curve on MarksDailyApple. Sorry that I cannot post the link (I'm on my iPad), but he pretty much says that keeping your carbs between 50-100 lends itself to effortless weightloss, where 100-150 grams of carbs a day is more appropriate for weight maintenance. If you are keeping your carbs less than 100 a day, that might be why you are losing weight without really intending to. Thought this might be helpful!
  • _persephone_
    Options
    Hi, I just wanted to reply to this topic to say that you might want to check out the Carbohydrate Curve on MarksDailyApple. Sorry that I cannot post the link (I'm on my iPad), but he pretty much says that keeping your carbs between 50-100 lends itself to effortless weightloss, where 100-150 grams of carbs a day is more appropriate for weight maintenance. If you are keeping your carbs less than 100 a day, that might be why you are losing weight without really intending to. Thought this might be helpful!

Ahh! I've just checked that out and it does make total sense to my situation! Thank you!