Gluten free breakfasts?

Options
Hi everyone.

I was wondering what MFP gluten-free-ers were having for breakfast? I've been making my own GF muesli (rice flakes, millet flakes, quinoa flakes, chopped nuts, bit of dried fruit, low sugar protein powder) for a while as I like something quick, easy and filling in the morning. It's quite expensive to make this muesli, even in bulk, and it works out at around 500-550 calories per serving despite being low in fat and high in protein.

I'd really like to know what low calorie alternatives there might be? What do you have for breakfast?

Thanks!

Replies

• mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Well, that sounds like a great breakfast! But maybe mix it up a little bit. I usually have 1/4 - 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt with fruit. It's quick, easy, and it fills me up. I usually have a piece of GF toast with it with a tiny smear of butter.

Hopefully someone will have more ideas!
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I am also dairy free...but here are some of my favs

Fiber packed yogurt:

-mix soy yogurt (plain...if you're watching sugar intake)
    -2 TBS. flax seed meal
    -1 tsp. maple syrup
    -1/4 berries

I am going to make these muffins this week:

http://www.elanaspantry.com/bran-muffins/

Warm your inner spirit Steel cut oats (per serving):

(non-instant) 1/4 c. steel cut oats cooked in water
    2-3 TBS unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk
    1 TBS. walnuts
    1/4 c. fresh blueberries
    1 tsp./to taste cinnamon
    1 pinch cardamom
    1 TBS unsweetened coconut toasted in skillet
    2 TBS flax seeds or flax seed meal
    1-2 tsp. agave nectar or maple syrup
  • katy4399
    katy4399 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am interested in the responses as well. I find it hard to get enough fiber and protein unless I eat eggs. My breakfasts during the week are pretty boring...

Rice Chex with a banana
    Udi's bread with an egg
  • BeesKnees181
    Options
    Check out the Elana's Pantry website for breakfast options that are high in protein. She bakes/cooks gluten free with almond flour. Generally the recipes use more eggs and yield products that are high in protein, low glycemic, and delicious.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I usually have three medium eggs, 1 oz swiss cheese, 1 serving prunes and occasionally a slice of Udi's or Rudi's multigrain bread.

If I'm feeling frisky and have the cals to burn- I make cornbread fritters.
    1 cup cornmeal
    1 cup water
    2-4 tsp baking powder (high in sodium so FYI)

Soak cornmeal in water while 2 tbsp oil heats up in a pan. Mix in baking powder to soaked cornmeal. Drop into hot oil and cook like pancakes.

Smear with peanut butter, cream cheese, syrup, fruit or just plain ol salt and pepper. they're delish and an easy way to get cals up on weight training days.

I skip baked goods most of the time. They leave me hungry in half an hour anyway.
  • jamblur
    Options
    Thanks, guys!
  • Keladry
    Keladry Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    A lot of people who are gluten intolerant can tolerate oats very well. Luckily I am one of them so I have porridge or muesli or if I have time, eggs or buckwheat pancakes. You can also get lots of gluten free cereals like puffed rice, rice porridge, amaranth, quinoa, corn flakes etc. I'm not a big fan of gluten free bread but there's that too.
  • KellyLin62
    Options
    Hello friends! I like to make a green smoothie. With Spinach,banana, almond milk, chia seeds, blue berries OR black berries sometimes I throw in flax meal . This is great for a quick meal when you are short on time! I'm trying to tweek my fruits to lower my calories...I'm a sever celiac AND a Vegetarian! so eating can be challenging...
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I want to try the green smoothie!! :)
    I make smoothies with greek yogurt too. I also like Enjoy Life's granola mixes.
    I wish I could tolerate oats, but alas, I get really sick.
  • Pavient
    Pavient Posts: 15
    Options
    I love cooking breakfast! Yesterday it was pumpkin crepes filled with greek yogurt and pineapple. Also make steel cut oats as you can add so many different ingredients to them for variety and they fill you up. Fruitful muffins, fritattas, omelets, pancakes, waffles, etc. I use almond flour to cut down on carbs and calories and it is higher in protein.
  • BeesKnees181
    Options
    Food for Life brown rice english muffins are AMAZING. I used to be a Udi's brand gal, but not once I tasted one of these little gems. Enjoy, my g-f peeps!
  • jiggy_gibby
    jiggy_gibby Posts: 197
    Options
    Udi's gf bread toasted with one fried egg

Van's gf Waffle, either apple-cinnamon or blueberry variety with 2 slices of bacon

Broccoli or Spinach Quiche - sometimes warmed, sometimes cold. Make it on Sunday night and it keeps until Thursday!

Applegate farms Chicken Apple- Maple sausage (one large link) on a toasted Grainless Baker gf Hotdog Bun
  • jiggy_gibby
    jiggy_gibby Posts: 197
    Options
    242 calories total
    Udi's gf bread toasted with one fried egg
    Udi's - Gluten Free Whole Grain Bread (Per/Pkg), 2 slice 150 calories
    Eggs - Fried (whole egg), 1 large 92 calories

277 calories total
    Van's gf Waffle, either apple-cinnamon or blueberry variety with 2 slices of bacon
    -- Boar's Head - Fully Cooked Naturally Smoked Bacon, 2 slices (14g) 47 calories
    Vans Gluten Free - Apple Cinnamon Waffles, 2 waffles 230 calories

127 calories total (Home-made)
    Broccoli or Spinach Quiche - sometimes warmed, sometimes cold. Make it on Sunday night and it keeps until Thursday!

310 calories total
    Applegate farms Chicken Apple- Maple sausage (one large link) on a toasted Grainless Baker gf Hotdog Bun
    the Grainless Baker - Hot Dog Buns Gluten Free/Wheat Free, 1 bun 170 calories
    Applegate Farms - Organic Chicken & Apple Sausage (Skinless), 1 link 140 calories
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Food for Life brown rice english muffins are AMAZING. I used to be a Udi's brand gal, but not once I tasted one of these little gems. Enjoy, my g-f peeps!
    I love those english muffins, I eat two almost every morning. I get the multi seed ones, so good!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I'm grain free, vegetarian, and dairy free. Take a look at my diary, if you like.
  • calijoe
    calijoe Posts: 1
    Options
    Smoked salmon, 8 oz at whole foods is $7.99. 4oz/meal.

gluten free bagel with cream cheese

greek yogurt

I also like Susan O'Brien's cookbooks.
  • joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I love dannon oikos yogurt with some gluten free granola. Also this morning I made gluten free sausage balls with reduced fat sausage and 2% sharp cheddar. The recipe is on glutenfreely.com
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Chex cereals ( except Wheat Chex) are now gluten free..... And they are good....
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'm having red mill quick oats. I like to take fozen berries and pomegranite, put in the microwave for a few seconds to get it to room temp. Put in on top of my oats, and poor my boiling water on top. Sweeten with splenda. Yumalicious!!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I have THE most boring breakfast routine.

I hate breakfast foods as a whole. Can barely stand eggs but I know breakfast is important sooo...

I normally have a few boiled eggs, orange juice and if I'm feeling adventurous I throw in a gluten free muffin or donut.

:blushing:

I've been doing this for a week. Before I wasn't eating breakfast at all because I just never feel hungry in the morning and most foods make me feel ill.

Edited to add: On top of being gluten free I am also allergic to dairy (NOT lactose intolerant but genuinely allergic to), nuts (peanut and tree nut), chocolate and apples so my choices are very limited. :)