Olive Oil

Options
As a vegan, I've been worrying somewhat about Omega 3s. I eat walnuts occasionally, recently started on seaweed, but is that enough? What about my beloved olive oil? It's been irritating me how the movie didn't debunk omega 3s at all but then expects us to blindly discount them. It did make sense how not one food is magically going to fix anything though. Anyone questioning the idea of giving up all fat?

Replies

• MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it at all. I have not given all fat, just the processed versions. If I want olive oil, I eat olives. I'm working closely with my doctor and getting my bloodwork done every two months, and so far nothing but positive results. If something comes up, I'll modify my diet, but I have been doing Dr. Esselstyns version of the FOK diet since Nov 1 2011 and it's been outstanding.
  • nwebb822_cancel
    nwebb822_cancel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hello! I've been doing the no-oil plant-based diet from Forks Over Knives snce August 2011. On February 1st, my husband and I gave up all high-fat plant foods (nuts, coconuts, olives, etc.) due to my husbands heart issues, as per Dr. Mc Dougall (a presenter on FOK). We are doing well and enjoying this way of life. Our health numbers (blood work/labs) are excellent. We plan to stay on this diet forever. If anyone wants a resource on why olive oil/fats are bad, I reccommend visiting Dr. Mc Dougall's website as there is a ton of info there on many healthy subjects. Good Luck!
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I add Flaxseed to my shakes and cereal. It has to be milled flaxseed for your body to process it. I buy it in travel packets that contain 1300mg of OMG 3 in each packet. Great way to get OMG 3 wihtout the added fat.
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil (unrefined is nice if you want the coconut flavor or refined doesn't taste like coconut at all) is a good cooking oil that has Omega 3, also nutritional yeast (I usually add some to my tofu scramble, but you can toss a tablespoon or so into most anything you cook).
  • Indigouu
    Indigouu Posts: 2
    Options
    I eat a macrobiotic diet (which is plant based and very close to the FOK diet) and I also am avoiding oil at the moment. Macrobiotic diets are naturally very low fat, and people who follow this diet are extremely healthy. If you want omega 3's, try adding ground flaxseeds to your smoothies, cereals, soups, etc; or you could use a tablespoon of flaxseed oil (unrefined) to get what you need. You can add that as a dressing on your salad, or even add it to a smoothie. Walnuts are a good source as well.