Stage 1, Day 1 and looking for feedback. . .

Options
poustotah
poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
Okay, I started the program today and here's what I did weight wise, etc.

Dumbell Squat - 15 with 15 lb weights on each side (felt a little light)
Dumbell Squat - 15 with 20 lb weights on each side

Push-Up - 15 at 45 degree angle
Seated Row - 15 at 70 lbs (felt a little light)
Push-Up - 15 at 35 degree angle
Seated Row - 15 at 80 lbs (still felt I could have done more)

Step-Ups - 15 with 20 lb weights and 5 risers
Prone Jackknife - 8 (WAY to easy)
Step-Ups - 15 with 25 lb weights and 5 risers
Prone Jackknife - 10 (way to easy)

So my questions are:

Is it okay to increase the weight like I am or should I just stop midway through the first set and increase the weight then?
What do I do about the Jackknifes? I thought I had zero core strength and I know I'm doing them correctly so do I just do a bunch of them or what?

Thank you!

Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I would finish the set with whatever you have on and increase the next set. When you say Barbell Squat- 15lbs. weights what do you mean? Do you mean the bar( 45 lbs. ) +15 lbs. on each side or dumbbells?
    I would do as much jackknifes as I can in 8 is too easy.
    Good luck!
  • poustotah
    Options
    Dumbell squat. Sorry about that.
  • deninevi
    Options
    I bet you can squat with the bar. Start with the bar only and see how it goes.You can do it!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I'm at the end of week 1, and those weights sound pretty darn good to me. When it feels too light I up the weight for the next set. You'd be surprised how much you can squat. Once I hit the 20lbs DB I switched to the bar (45lbs). I also think there is a harder version of the jack knife to try called the pike.
  • poustotah
    Options
    Thanks guys! I lifted a lot before I started this program and am using it as a way to change things up a bit. I reached a point where I just don't get sore anymore and I think this will help a bit.

I'm not a big fan of using the bar without a squat rack and the gym I go to doesn't have a rack so I'm using the variations of the squat. Maybe that's not such a good idea???
  • deninevi
    Options
    The goblet squat is awesome! Can you press the bar over head? Just the bar. I know it's not the same as the squat rack as there will be no way to catch the bar if need be, but something to try.