What types of protein do you use and recommend?

Options
2»

Replies

• MtnVegan
    MtnVegan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Check out http://www.dalesrawfoods.com/ , the products are super high quality & delicious! A raw protein bar with 22 grams of protein!
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2000. It put in a wheelchair a few months ago. I have literally eaten my way out of the wheelchair and back into the weightroom as you can see.

Congrats on your progress! That's amazing!
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm currently making my rounds to see which protein POWDER supplements work for me:

I've tried pea protein (Vitacost brand) but didn't like the malty/mushy texture.

Nearing the end of my hemp protein powder (Nutiva brand) - tastes nutty which is nice but doesn't stay mixed in liquids very well.

I just started my Jarrow's Iso-Rich soy protein which smells great but is tasteless - not malty/grainy texture and mixes with liquids well. I even dumped the last few sips into my morning coffee with no ill effects (protein-packed coffee.. hahaha).

As for SOLID food:

Tempeh, Field Roast Frankfurters and Primal Strips Jerky have been becoming good friends this week :D
  • vegandave
    vegandave Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've been using almost any one of the following:
    1:1 mix of Trader Joe's Soy and Hemp (I'm looking to cut out the isolated soy)
    Vega
    Natural Factors Vanilla Bean. Good mix of Rice, Hemp, Pea and Chia
  • Saunz5
    Saunz5 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I currently use SAN Raw Fusion protein! It's hypoallergenic and inexpensive! It tastes yummy too! :)
    http://www.getrippednutrition.com/Raw_Fusion_p/rawfusion.htm

I have used Olympian Labs Pea Protein before as well! I loved that! But it's a little more expensive than the one I have now. And I'm on a budget diet! :/
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/olabs/peaprotein.html

Both are gluten-free and vegan!
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I've used HempPro70 (Stopped because it was too expensive)
    Life Time Lif's Basics - Plant Protein Unsweetened Vanilla Powder (Too expensive)
    Currently using NutraSumma Pea Protein
  • alextarwater
    Options
    New to the group, and I appreciate all the info. Ive been eating vegan for ten days now, in an effort to control weight, for heart health, and just to be healthy overall. Its been great, Ive never had more energy. Its taken a second to get my body used to it, as I ate ALOT of meat before. Anyway, I am now going to start working out as well. Certainly not looking for bulk, just to trim.

I just bought Green Foods True Vitality, which is soy free and a mixture of proteins from hemp, brown rice, pea, and more. 140 calories per serving and 15 grams of protein, as well as it is enhanced with DHA(Ive just now started doing a little research on this). It was 22 dollars for 14 servings.They have chocolate and vanilla flavors, and I chose chocolate. My only complaint is it doesnt have any iron, which I am finding is the most difficult nutrient for me to incorporate(I always thought protein would be tough, but I am consuming 50-60 grams protein without too much trouble.)

Ive only tried once, mixing with a cup of almond milk, and while chalky like most protein powders, I was overall very happy with it. I know it will only be better with mixing fruit in, so I will make sure to do so next time. I like the nutrients, taste is fair to okay(as good as can be expected), and it was not near the price of larger brands like Vega. I will update with results.

Anyone else tried this?
  • finally_klarity
    finally_klarity Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sunwarrior! It's the only one I can handle ( and actually like the taste). Vega is my second choice. Most of the others taste like chalk to me.lol
  • YpsiChris
    YpsiChris Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I spent a bunch of money on Vega and then got an upset stomach when I used it... I'm not giving up, but man was that uncomfortable!

I'll second what others have said about the hemp proteins - they don't dissolve well. That said, TJ's chocolate hemp powder with almond milk and some natural peanut butter is a welcome treat :) I also mix it in with oatmeal.

I hadn't seen the rice proteins, so thanks for the tip!
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    FrankieTrailBlazer Posts: 124 Member
    Options