Introduce yourself :)

Options
Hey there,

My name is Crystal. I started this group for anyone interested in or signed up for any type of run or walk this year. My mom, my aunt, and I all plan on walking/running a 5k(3.1 miles) this year. This is a big year for my family because there are quite a few of us who have really got involved in our health for the first time ever. So walking/running this 5k won't just be for the sake of saying we did it (even though that is cool too) but hopefully it will be a real breaking point for all of us. Hopefully this will just be the beginning of many walks and runs to come. That being said, I've never done anything like this so any feedback would be greatly appreciate. I've also bought a few books and have been doing my own research on how to prepare for a 5k/10k/Marathon, so I will also be sharing that information soon.

Nice to meet you and good luck on running/walking your 5k this year!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I just stated that I wanted to run my first 5k this April.
  • FlTGlRL
    FlTGlRL Posts: 239
    Options
    That's awesome. Me too! April 14th for me. I can't wait. Have you been training??
  • GabeRami
    GabeRami Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The last 5k I ran was about 10 years ago for Childrens Hospital. It was on the Saturday during Mexican Fiesta at the Summerfest grounds. That was the last one I did. Now, I'm trying to get back into shape to do 2 or 3 this year, maybe a 10k if possible this year. Maybe if we are all in Milwaukee we can get a team together to do a run here. Maybe run the Storming of the Bastille for Bastille Days, just a thought!
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    That would be awesome!!
  • stlbluesangel
    stlbluesangel Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My sister is a personal trainer and I'm finally at that point where I'm ready to do this. She is a huge motivator for me.
    Started 'training' last week and plan on doing our first 5K in April.
    I'm looking forward to it and so much more!
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    My sister is a personal trainer and I'm finally at that point where I'm ready to do this. She is a huge motivator for me.
    Started 'training' last week and plan on doing our first 5K in April.
    I'm looking forward to it and so much more!

Congrats stlbluesangel
    That's awesome your sis is a trainer. (Actually that could be good and bad :laugh:)
    Anyway, it's awesome you have decided to do the 5k. Keep us posted on any training tips. That's what I need!
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hey im Anna and im from the Netherlands ;)

I started running last summer, but quit just before summer holidays. I picked it up again in the beginning of january and have been running pretty much every other day. I use the C25K program to help me get to 5K. Ive got my first run on april 1st :)

My dad is a runner, and one of his friends is a running trainer. So i do get tips from them. But mostly i just run and see where i get :)
  • Goldenbast
    Goldenbast Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    That last time I ran was in track..in junior high. I remember that my thing was short distance sprints...the longest I did was the 220...I was also on the Relay Team as anchor. I have NEVER done a walk/run of 5k...but the idea intrigues me. I have seen the couch to 5k mentioned a few times and maybe will look into that closer. But I think a run like that would be a very worthy goal....
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about doing Warrior Dash again this summer. I did it last year and it might be good to keep me cross-training and try to beat my time from last year.
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    Hey im Anna and im from the Netherlands ;)

I started running last summer, but quit just before summer holidays. I picked it up again in the beginning of january and have been running pretty much every other day. I use the C25K program to help me get to 5K. Ive got my first run on april 1st :)

My dad is a runner, and one of his friends is a running trainer. So i do get tips from them. But mostly i just run and see where i get :)

Hey there Anna.:smile:
    What is the C25K I keep hearing about?? April 1st isn't that far away but it sounds like you are doing pretty good with training. You are lucky you have your dad and his friend too, I'm sure that makes it easier.
    Please share any good tips!!
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    I am thinking about doing Warrior Dash again this summer. I did it last year and it might be good to keep me cross-training and try to beat my time from last year.

That Warrior Dash sounds awesome, I looked it up, it looks like there is one near me too. Wow...I love it. I'm going to look into that more. That might be a little harder to find someone to do that with me though, it looks a little more intense. I might have to do that one on my own.
    The one near me is on August 18, 2012. We should do it together. When is the one scheduled near your location?
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    That last time I ran was in track..in junior high. I remember that my thing was short distance sprints...the longest I did was the 220...I was also on the Relay Team as anchor. I have NEVER done a walk/run of 5k...but the idea intrigues me. I have seen the couch to 5k mentioned a few times and maybe will look into that closer. But I think a run like that would be a very worthy goal....

It's sounds like you are a natural! I've never done anything like that.
    This must be your thing. You should totally get back into it. A 5k is only 3.1 miles, let me know if you end up doing it.
  • stlbluesangel
    Options
    The C25K is a couch to 5K program. There are a ton of apps for it available for free or paid versions. I'm currently use a free app that lets me listen to music will I run. It gives you cues as to when you should walk and when you should run/jog. Depending on which program you use I believe its about a 7-9 weeks. Each week changes up how much you run and how much you walk. Ultimately, the goal is to be able to run for 30 minutes straight at the end of the program. It may not be exactly the full 5K depending on your speed, but I know for me it would be a great goal to accomplish.

I'm ready to get done with week 2 but have actually added days each time so I'm doing it 4-5x a week instead of just 3.
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    The C25K is a couch to 5K program. There are a ton of apps for it available for free or paid versions. I'm currently use a free app that lets me listen to music will I run. It gives you cues as to when you should walk and when you should run/jog. Depending on which program you use I believe its about a 7-9 weeks. Each week changes up how much you run and how much you walk. Ultimately, the goal is to be able to run for 30 minutes straight at the end of the program. It may not be exactly the full 5K depending on your speed, but I know for me it would be a great goal to accomplish.

I'm ready to get done with week 2 but have actually added days each time so I'm doing it 4-5x a week instead of just 3.

Wow, that's awesome. I should try and check this out. Do you have it on your Ipod or phone?
  • stlbluesangel
    Options
    I am technologically behind...lol But I have the app on my Iphone. For now, I'm running inside on my treadmill so I just set it to start and off I walk. I've done it while listening to music or watching tv. I honestly love having the treadmill in my house. Whenever I think about watching a tv program I just remind myself that I can walk/run and watch the program.
    There's other times when I'm not doing the C25K that I read a book and walk - I'm able to do that indoors on the treadmill but I'd fall on my face outside.
    Weather here is getting much better so I'm looking forward to moving it outside for at least 1 -2x a week.
  • ashleylynneb
    Options
    I run a lot on the treadmill at the gym. I did a couple of 5 k's in October, both for breast cancer awareness. I am wanting to do a 5 K in 3 weeks but slacked some and just now getting back to running. I hope to run the St. Jude half marathon in December but its going to take a whole lot of work on my end.

Right now, I just want to reach my weight loss goals and am hoping that in the process, I will build up the endurance to run as far as I want to run.
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    I am technologically behind...lol But I have the app on my Iphone. For now, I'm running inside on my treadmill so I just set it to start and off I walk. I've done it while listening to music or watching tv. I honestly love having the treadmill in my house. Whenever I think about watching a tv program I just remind myself that I can walk/run and watch the program.
    There's other times when I'm not doing the C25K that I read a book and walk - I'm able to do that indoors on the treadmill but I'd fall on my face outside.
    Weather here is getting much better so I'm looking forward to moving it outside for at least 1 -2x a week.

Haha...Well I don't have an "I" anything right now so I am more behind than you lol, that's why I thought I'd ask because I was trying to figure out how I'd play it but I think I'm going to finally be getting an Ipod here soon for walking/running anyway, so maybe I'll look into this app more when I get it.
    That's awesome you think that way and really fully take advantage of your at home treadmill. It would prob sit and collect dust in my house, I need to get out or it's no fun for me.
    Anyway, keep me posted on your progress!!
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    I run a lot on the treadmill at the gym. I did a couple of 5 k's in October, both for breast cancer awareness. I am wanting to do a 5 K in 3 weeks but slacked some and just now getting back to running. I hope to run the St. Jude half marathon in December but its going to take a whole lot of work on my end.

Right now, I just want to reach my weight loss goals and am hoping that in the process, I will build up the endurance to run as far as I want to run.

Congrats on doing the 5k's in October, especially for such good causes!!
    So are you training/preparing for the 5k now than? If so, what are you doing??
    I'd absolutely love to eventually build up do doing a half and full marathon one day.
    Keep me posted on your progress!! :smile:
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options

Haha...Well I don't have an "I" anything right now so I am more behind than you lol, that's why I thought I'd ask because I was trying to figure out how I'd play it but I think I'm going to finally be getting an Ipod here soon for walking/running anyway, so maybe I'll look into this app more when I get it.
    That's awesome you think that way and really fully take advantage of your at home treadmill. It would prob sit and collect dust in my house, I need to get out or it's no fun for me.
    Anyway, keep me posted on your progress!!

there are also podcasts you can use for the c25k program. So you dont need an iphone or android phone to do this program. i guess you could even just use an interval timer to get started ;)

Any information needed on this program can be found here http://www.c25k.com/
  • Daisy_Cutter
    Options
    Hi everyone! I hope you have room for one more!

I don't know what 5K I'm going to run, but I'm starting the C25K this week.... today? LOL Anyway, brief history - three years ago I was a marathon runner. 18 marathons and 2 sub-4hours (so proud of those two!) but after a really hideous divorce and a long-distance move, I haven't run in almost 3 years and am 40lbs heavier. I'm literally in the worst shape of my life and I need to get a handle on things. I signed up last week for a half marathon in November so I need to be ready for it. I know I can do it... I've done it before. I also turn 40 this year and refuse to be fat and 40. I want to be fit and 40! :) I have two girls and I'm busy with them but again, I found time when they were infants to run and I don't have to hire a sitter now! NO EXCUSES!

I'm so mad at myself for letting myself slide to this point. I can't even run a mile right now.... I tried and it was a disaster! I thought I'd start small - and then build up.

Anyway, I'm excited to be here and if any of you need advice on running I'd love to share my thoughts (used to train too)..

Shel