What Can I pack for a Roadtrip that's Clean AND easy?

Options
I've been eating clean since January. The end of next week I am leaving on a 3 week long road trip. Due to my passengers health, we won't be driving more than 6 hours on any given day, so finding time to walk or hit the hotel gym shouldn't be too hard. They are both diabetic, but aren't the least discriminate about what they put in their mouth so staying "clean" on this trip will take lots of forethought and determination on my part.

I can think of lots of things I could pack that would be okay for a few days, but not the entire 3 weeks. How do you stay clean eating at restaurants and hotel breakfast bars? I need specific tips and tricks please!

Replies

• garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    A good source is Tosca's Clean Eating Book and she has a section in her book on Coolers one with ice pack the other for room temp...you can find at most libraries. But that said take anything healthy like making your own mix (nuts, mini-pretzelsaisens...you get idea), take sandwich bags of oatmeal (can get hot water at most rest stops) make or buy healthy bars, portable fruit like bananas, apples, oranges, grapes..., easy veggies like cherry tomatoes & baby carrots..., health food stores have healthier jerkies even vegan ones, Peanut butter and Wasa crackers, string cheese, water water water.
    Now if stop at a restaurant I would think most important would be to share a meal if huge portions or take a doggy bag, get lean protein and veggies to keep you energized...nothing heavy since gotta drive!
    Also, if go to a rest stop the ones with just the restrooms and vending machines take opportunity to walk jogg in place jump rope anything to keep blood circulating!!!!!!!! Happy travels!
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    I'll have to check out that book. Thanks!
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Contemplating this for spring and summer road trips. My solutions so far for my plan are:

Raw nut mixes, a small tupper of raw almonds and raw pecans. Another small tupper with pepitas (roasted pumpkin seeds) and sunflower seeds.

Also, at least for the initial part of the trip my plan is to bring soft boiled eggs that have already been shelled and sliced in half and placed in a tupper for travel and quick eats.

Other than that, if I have to eat fast food on the road it tends to be salad no dressing with grilled not breaded chicken.. or a egg mcmuffin with no "butter" (margerine) and sometimes no ham/meat.

Oh and yep, lots of water.
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    And one thing I learned the hard way: Don't forget the probiotics!
  • hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't have any great suggestions but I am very glad that you posted this. Some of the suggestions so far are great!