Progress Question

Hi Everyone, :wink:

I am really inspired by all the support and helpful advice everyone gives on Nrol4W. I wanted to ask you all a question. I have only been on MFP for a couple of weeks now and discovered this group last week. I have not had a chance to get the book yet, but I do have a question about progress. I am a senior in college, happy with the weight I am but want to try strength training. I usually do cardio, but have started using the small weight room and I wanted to know when is a good time to increase your weight on the machines? I feel like you might want to work at one weight for a while (a week or two) until you get strong enough to move on. When did you all feel like you were ready to increase the weight?

Here are the exercises I did last week (I usually do 30 minutes of cardio + the weights which makes my total time about 1hr and 15min) I am 120lbs and 5'1. I try to 3 sets 12 reps on all of these exercisess. I do cardio everday and weights 3 times a week (monday, thursday and saturday). I know the weight seems really small or light but I was proud for my first day.

Chest Press 30lbs.
Shoulder Press 20lbs.
Pull Down 25lbs
Standing Shoulder Press 25lbs
Diverging Row 15lbs
Bicep Curl 15lb
Tricep Extension 20lbs
Leg Press 40lbs

Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• read the book & think about what you read. I think your first day is great. But keep pushing yourself. If you can get many reps at that weight its time to move up. I just did day 2 from the book on here so I'm just getting started too and am finding myself excited to work out for the first time ever. Am also doing the 30 day Shred DVDs which have helped me get a little jumpstart (I can do some pushups now!).
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Definitely read the book, and if you can, check out the original New Rules. Lou has a lot to say about the machines, and none of it good. They don't give you the benefit of using your stabilizing muscles and core, and may trap you into an unnatural range of motion that could get you injured.

If you use free weights and follow the book, you won't need isolation exercises like the leg press and bicep curl, which will shorten your time in the gym. Don't expect to lift in free weights what you've been doing on the machines, though, because it's a whole different animal! But trust me, YOU WILL LOVE IT!

Check out Lou's channel on Youtube.com, louminator, for demonstration of form. Proper form is critical to heavy lifting, to get the correct muscles involved and prevent injury. There are tons of videos, if Lou's doesn't explain it well enough.

Most of all, have fun, and WELCOME!! :flowerforyou:
  • Hi Katzblood,

I definitely want to read the book as many people have mentioned that it is very educational. Thanks for the advice about the weights. Congrats on finishing day 2 and on the pushups! :smile:
  • Hi jarrettd,

Thanks for all the great tips!! :flowerforyou: I hope to buy the book next week and I can tell by all the people in this group that it is definitely fun and exciting. Thanks for the welcome! :smile: