Ciao! PASTA!- Pasta Recipes

Options
This is where you can post your pasta recipes.
Please include all ingredients, directions and nutritional content.
Photos of the dishes are great to see!
Thanks for adding!
pasta.jpg

Come back and give us a review of the dishes you have tried. Quote the recipe and rate it!

Replies

• juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Here is the most savory and delicious pasta meal you will ever have. Its not high in calories, and is vegetarian friendly.
    The one downside is it takes 1.5 hours to cook, so not the kind of meal to start when you are starving, but if you have the time, it is well worth it. Everyone I've ever made this for raves about it! Its a whole meal in one.

Ingredients:
    1 medium carrot - finely chopped
    2-3 garlic cloves - minced
    1 onion- finely chopped
    2 tbsp olive oil
    Fresh rosemary sprig - whole
    1 stalk of celery - finely chopped
    pinch of crushed red chilli
    2 tbsp Tomato Paste
    6 cups of water
    4 packets of vegetable (or chicken) stock
    3/4 Cup of small pasta - fusilli, macaroni, etc

Directions:
    -Heat olive oil in large pot, Add chopped Veggies, garlic and rosemary. Cook over low heat for 8 minutes
    -Add Chili and season with pepper
    -Stir in Tomato Paste, and Water with stock dissolved in it. Add in washed and drained chickpeas.
    -Bring to a boil, Reduce Heat, Simmer 1.5 hours stirring occasionally.
    -After 1.25 hrs, add pasta and cook until al dente - or to your liking - You want to put it in while there is still enough liquid to cook it.
    -Remove rosemary sprig.
    -Serve & Enjoy!

Liquid should have reduced until it becomes the consistency of a gravy

For an extra treat, sprinkle grated parmesean over top when serving ( Note: Parmesean is not included in the nutritional info. Must add to your diary if used)

Makes 4 Servings

Per Serving:
    Calories: 319g
    Carbs: 41g
    Fat : 10g
    Protien: 10g
    Iron 17g
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    This is one of those recipes I just made up, but that we use in my house over and over. I am a vegetarian, but you can add fish, shellfish or chicken to this easily.

Pasta with Garlic Lemon Sauce

Serves 6
    -1 8oz package of De Boles Spaghetti style pasta (you can use other whole wheat or regular pasta- I included this in the nutritional info so to give you an idea for counting purposes- a 1.3oz serving of pasta- which is what everyone gets in this recipe- as it serves 6 has 140 calories and a 2 oz serving has 210 calories)
    -4 cups of baby spinach
    -1 can of cannellini beans (washed and drained)
    -5 cloves of garlic chopped
    -juice of 1/2 of a lemon
    -1c of white wine
    -2c of chicken broth
    -2T of capers
    -2T of olive oil

Heat olive oil in large fry pan (big enough to accommodate the liquid that will be added later). Add the chopped garlic and sautee until lightly browned. Add capers and allow to sautee for a minute. Add white wine. Add chicken broth. Simmer liquid until it has reduced by 1/3. Once liquid is reduced, add beans and add spinach until completely wilted. Add juice of 1/2 of a lemon. Boil pasta separately. Pour sauce over pasta.

Top with parmesan cheese. (Not included in the nutritional values)

Calories: 287
    Carbs: 43
    Fat: 6
    Protien: 11
    Sodium: 517
    Fiber: 8
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Brown Orzo Risotto

1 1/2 c whole wheat orzo pasta
    1 medium shallot, finely chopped
    8 oz. portobello or white mushrooms, roughly chopped
    2 c low sodium, fat free chicken or vegetable stock
    1/2 cup frozen peas
    1 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
    1/2 tbsp butter substitute
    freshly grated parmesan cheese
    salt + pepper

Here's How:

1. Heat 1/2 tsp olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the chopped mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes, until browned. Season lightly with salt + pepper, and transfer to a colander. (The mushrooms will release some liquid.)

2. Lower the heat to medium. Carefully wipe the pan clean with a paper towel. Add 1 tbsp olive oil, the butter and the shallots. Cook the shallots for about 2 minutes, until soft. Add the orzo and cook 3 to 5 minutes, just to toast the pasta. Season with salt + pepper.

3. While the pasta and shallots toast in the pan, place the stock in a microwave safe measuring cup and heat, about 2 minutes. (You can also bring the chicken stock to a simmer in a separate saucepan.) Add 1 cup of the chicken stock to the orzo. Bring to a simmer, stirring gently. When the pasta absorbs almost all of the stock, add another cup. Keep stirring.

4. Add 1 cup of water to the measuring cup and heat in the microwave (or in the saucepan). Add 1/2 cup of the water to the orzo and cook until it is almost absorbed. Taste the pasta for doneness. If it still hasn't reached al dente status, pour in the other half cup of water and cover the pan with a lid. Cook for 5 - 7 minutes, or until the orzo is al dente. If the risotto isn't creamy, stir in another 1/2 cup warm water and turn off the stove.

5. Stir in the frozen peas and mushrooms. Serve and top with parmesan cheese.
  • monocot
    Options
    La Bella pasta

4 oz whole grain pasta
    8 oz baby bella mushrooms, washed and sliced
    4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    fresh basil
    fresh parmesan cheese
    salt + pepper
    olive oil

Here's How:

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.

2. Prep the veggies: To clean the mushrooms, wipe them gently with a moist dish towel. OR, do it the easy way: rinse them under water, using your hands to remove any excess dirt. Lay them on a clean dish towel and pat dry. Wash and dry the tomatoes. Cut them in half and squeeze out the seeds. Then give them a rough chop.

3. Add a handful of salt to the boiling water. Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions.

4. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pan over high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until golden. Add the tomatoes and garlic, and cook 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

5. When the pasta is al dente, use a pasta spoon to transfer it to the pan with the mushrooms and tomatoes, and toss it all together. Serve topped with fresh parmesan cheese and basil.
  • monocot
    Options
    creamy mushroom pasta

1 pint mushrooms, sliced & pre-washed (white or portobello)
    4 oz any short whole wheat pasta
    1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1/2 tsp dried oregano
    salt + pepper
    olive oil

Here's How:

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Salt the water and add the pasta.
    2. Meanwhile heat 1/2 tbsp olive in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, garlic and oregano, and cook until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper.
    3. When the pasta is al dente, use a slotted spoon to transfer it to the pan. Add the ricotta cheese and about 1/4-1/3 cup of the pasta water (enough so that it smooths out). Stir together until combined, then add the parmesan cheese.
  • monocot
    Options
    One Pot Chicken Pesto Pasta

1 lb (454 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
    1 onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 zucchinis, sliced (about 1 oz/375 g total)
    1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
    1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
    1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
    1 tomato-basil pasta sauce, jar (700 mL)
    3 cups (750 mL) wagon wheel pasta
    1/4 cup (60 mL) prepared pesto
    1 cup (250 mL) shredded mozzarella cheese
    2 tbsp (30 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
    2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley

Preparation

Cut chicken into 1-inch (2.5 cm) chunks. In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; fry chicken, in batches, until browned outside and no longer pink inside, about 4 minutes. Remove to bowl.

Add onion, garlic, zucchini, oregano, salt and pepper to pan; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 4 minutes.

Add pasta sauce, 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) water and pasta to pan; bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes. Uncover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender, about 5 minutes.

Return chicken and any accumulated juices to pan. Add pesto; stir until heated through. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses and parsley.
  • monocot
    Options
    Spinach Ricotta Rotini

1 tub (454 g) ricotta cheese
    1 can (385 mL) 2% evaporated milk
    2-1/2 cups (625 mL) water
    1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) dried Italian herb seasoning
    1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
    1 pkg (10 oz/300 g) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    4 cups (1 L) rotini pasta
    2 cups (500 mL) chopped smoked ham or smoked turkey
    1 cup (250 mL) shredded Asiago cheese
    1 cup (250 mL) fresh bread crumbs

Preparation

In large bowl, whisk together ricotta, evaporated milk, water, herb seasoning and mustard. Stir in spinach, pasta and ham. Pour into 13- x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.)

Bake in 425°F (220°C) oven, stirring twice, for about 30 minutes or until thickened and pasta is tender.

Combine Asiago cheese and bread crumbs; sprinkle over pasta. Bake for about 5 minutes or until melted and golden.
  • monocot
    Options
    Sausage Rigatoni Bake.

1-1/2 lb (680 g) Italian sausages
    1 onion, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp (5 mL) Italian herb seasoning
    1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
    1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
    1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes
    1/2 cup (125 mL) tomato paste
    2 cans (each 28 oz/796 mL) tomatoes
    6 cups (1.5 L) rigatoni pasta
    1 jar (313 mL) roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
    2 cups (500 mL) shredded provolone cheese
    1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh parsley

Preparation

Cut sausage into 1/2-inch (1 cm) chunks. In Dutch oven, brown sausage in batches over medium-high heat. Transfer to bowl.

Pour off fat from pan. Add onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, hot pepper flakes, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until onion is softened, 5 minutes. Add tomato paste; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, breaking up with spoon; bring to boil. Return sausage and any accumulated juices to pan. Reduce heat and simmer until thin liquid at edge is evaporated, 1 hour.

Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until almost tender, about 6 minutes. Drain; return to pot. Stir in sausage mixture, red peppers, 3/4 cup (175 mL) of the cheese and parsley. Transfer to greased 13- x 9-inch (3 L) glass baking dish. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate until cold. Cover with plastic wrap and overwrap with heavy-duty foil; freeze for up to 2 weeks. Thaw in refrigerator for 48 hours. Continue with recipe, adding 1 hour to baking time.)

Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover with foil and bake in 375°F (190°C) oven until filling is bubbly and topping is golden and crusty, about 30 minutes.

Lemony Spinach Pasta

4 cups (1 L) penne pasta, (about 12 oz/375 g)
    1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 cup (250 mL) extra-smooth light ricotta cheese
    1/4 cup (60 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
    1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon rind
    2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
    1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
    1/2 bag (10 oz/284 g) fresh spinach, (about 5 cups/1.25 L)
    1/2 cup (125 mL) finely diced sweet red pepper

Preparation

In large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook pasta until tender but firm, 10 minutes. Reserving 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the cooking liquid, drain pasta and set aside.

In same saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; fry garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add reserved cooking liquid, ricotta cheese, half of the Parmesan cheese, the lemon rind and juice, salt and pepper; bring to simmer.

Add spinach and red pepper; stir until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Return pasta to pot and toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    marinara from scratch :wink:

Oil - Olive, 2 Tbs
    Onions - Raw, 1 cup, chopped
    Garlic - Raw, 6 clove
    Rk Giant - Plum Tomato, 6 tomato (62g)
    Cook on med low till oil starts to separate.

then add
    Generic - Fresh Basil Leaves, 2 Tbl. chopped
    Cheese - Mozzarella - Fresh, 1 oz
    Spices - Salt, table, 1 tsp
    Spices - Pepper, black, 2 dash

Then add anything else you want like salmon, sweet peppers, mushroom, and kalamata olives.

makes 4 servings:
    cals: Protein: Carbs: Sugar: Fat: Calcium:
    Total: 472 14g 34g 19g 33g 28
    Per Serving: 118 4g 9g 5g 8g 7
  • mrssmith636
    mrssmith636 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've been reading a lot on spaghetti squash, which you can substitute for spaghetti noodles.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/541917-nutrition-of-spaghetti-squash-vs-pasta/

I haven't tried it myself but being a huge pasta fan, I will be buying some on my next grocery trip. If anyone else has tried it, let me know how you like it.
  • Iluvmydogs24
    Options
    I've been reading a lot on spaghetti squash, which you can substitute for spaghetti noodles.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/541917-nutrition-of-spaghetti-squash-vs-pasta/

I haven't tried it myself but being a huge pasta fan, I will be buying some on my next grocery trip. If anyone else has tried it, let me know how you like it.

I use it and then add marinara and ground turkey meat and it is AMAZING!!! and im the kind of person who will not eat veggies!!! so that says alot! It makes you feel alot fuller than eating noodles and cuts the carbs! i love love love it!
  • maurbor
    maurbor Posts: 14
    Options
    Spinach Ricotta Rotini

1 tub (454 g) ricotta cheese
    1 can (385 mL) 2% evaporated milk
    2-1/2 cups (625 mL) water
    1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) dried Italian herb seasoning
    1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
    1 pkg (10 oz/300 g) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    4 cups (1 L) rotini pasta
    2 cups (500 mL) chopped smoked ham or smoked turkey
    1 cup (250 mL) shredded Asiago cheese
    1 cup (250 mL) fresh bread crumbs

Preparation

In large bowl, whisk together ricotta, evaporated milk, water, herb seasoning and mustard. Stir in spinach, pasta and ham. Pour into 13- x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.)

Bake in 425°F (220°C) oven, stirring twice, for about 30 minutes or until thickened and pasta is tender.

Combine Asiago cheese and bread crumbs; sprinkle over pasta. Bake for about 5 minutes or until melted and golden.
    Your recipes look delicious but how many portions are there & do you have the calories etc.?
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who posted recipes. I am copying them and use it with low carb pasta
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    bump
  • midnight333
    Options
    I'll swap gluten free pasta and it'll be so yummy:)
  • 5brownsnc
    5brownsnc Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this, hopefully this week. Thanks for the post !!
  • Dottyb1940
    Dottyb1940 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    bump and thanks for posting
  • missig0587
    missig0587 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump!!